Halifax Help Needed!

xbox lover
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,excellent site and hoping someone can help.Back in 2001 i split from my partner and a close family member was murdered,long story short i went right off the rails on drink and drugs and did a runner from everything,my house/debts included.

I tried explaining i was suffering depression but halifax didnt want to know and after i lost my job that was it i left.

I know the house was subsequently repossesed and sold at auction and never heard anything else until now.

Ive received a letter saying i owe them £15000 shortfall.They will accept £5000 lump sum or £50 per month until £8000 is paid.

Ive read that as a member of the fso? that after 6 six years they wont pursue these debts but here they are asking for it.

What do i do next?Ive sorted my life out now but have very little money to spare and my new partner is worried sick

Can anyone help

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

XBOX,

I would have thought that this is subject to limitation (6yrs).

Most importantly you need to get good advice quickly before you acknowledge anything in writing. Try you Citizens Advice Bureau. Try the Debt or Litigation section on the forums there are a lot of knowledgeable people there.

Once you have good advice and know where you stand, as its over 6 yrs old, I would start requesting documentary proof by Subject access Request etc, as they may no longer have any of the required documents to prove their case.

Good luck:-)

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

When was the house subsequently repossessed and sold ?? Was that in 2001 also? I'm just wondering that if it was later, say 2003, then they may just be in time. Also, was the house in joint names and did your partner make any payments whilst you went away?

If not, then I would say that it is statute barred if 6 years have passed. Doesn't stop them from trying it on though!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Well im guessing the house was sold in 2001 my step brother told me it was sold at auction not sure how much for but when i moved to london 2002 it was defo sold then.No payments were made by me since start of 2001 and i was sole owner.Think they're just trying it on and i should ignore them?

Well im guessing the house was sold in 2001 my step brother told me it was sold at auction not sure how much for but when i moved to london 2002 it was defo sold then.No payments were made by me since start of 2001 and i was sole owner.Think they're just trying it on and i should ignore them?

If it were me, then yes! I'm not a lawyer but I'm not aware of any specific legislation relating to property that might extend the period beyond 6 years.

What you have to remember is that statute barred means that they can't enforce the debt in court. However, there is nothing to stop them asking you for the money!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

• 1 month later...