'Offending vehicles will be removed' sign

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We're having speed bumps put in our street, and signs have been put up asking for vehicles to make way for the works.

DSCN0846-1.jpg

They say:

SPEED BUMP CONSTRUCTION WORKS

NO PARKING

8am - 8pm

[Hand written date]

Offending vehicles will be removed

I'm just curious if (I assume the council put them up) have the power to remove vehicles in this case, just by putting a sign up?

There's cones along the street too, but they don't say 'Police' on them or anything.

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"

Valid or not, would you really want to leave your car parked anywhere near there with the big construction vehicles working around it? (be just your luck that a bump is scheduled to go right where your car is parked. :) )

Edited by crem

Yeah, I've moved my car anyway. :lol:

My question id the validity/legality of the request.

We see signs every day ordering us to do stuff, but just coz they look official doesn't mean they are.... Supermarket 'PCNs' for example. :)

We're having speed bumps put in our street, and signs have been put up asking for vehicles to make way for the works.

DSCN0846-1.jpg

They say:

SPEED BUMP CONSTRUCTION WORKS

NO PARKING

8am - 8pm

[Hand written date]

Offending vehicles will be removed

I'm just curious if (I assume the council put them up) have the power to remove vehicles in this case, just by putting a sign up?

There's cones along the street too, but they don't say 'Police' on them or anything.

Some vehicles are, without a doubt, offensive I can think of several in my immediate vicinity, a yellow Morgan driven by a bald wrinkly bloke who lives in the next village springs to mind.

I do very little but I do it very, very well :cool:

If I've helped give my scales a click

:smile:

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

I would be more annoyed about the addition of speed bumps to my road. I'm convinced they don't do ones car any good even if they are approached at the most cautious of speeds. The ones at my local Tesco really jault you even you go over them at just 5mph.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Yeah, I've moved my car anyway. :lol:

My question id the validity/legality of the request.

We see signs every day ordering us to do stuff, but just coz they look official doesn't mean they are.... Supermarket 'PCNs' for example. :)

You make a good point however, we have become a nation submissive to pseudo authority, stick up a sign or “signage” (what a truly awful word, what was wrong with signs?) and we jump about like we’re on pogo sticks, describe our activity as “progress” and smile for the bloody CCTV camera. We have lost sight of the idea that a free society allows for that freedom by accepting that a minority will abuse the right to be free and we establish mechanisms that are designed to catch abusers of liberty and punish them. In our determination to impose proper behaviour on all citizens we see our liberty being drained away by a bunch of well meaning fascists who have adopted the battle cry “if you have nothing to hide you wouldn’t mind us spying on you”

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

forgive the rant

By the way, is a stillborn crisp a potato?

I would be more annoyed about the addition of speed bumps to my road. I'm convinced they don't do ones car any good even if they are approached at the most cautious of speeds. The ones at my local Tesco really jault you even you go over them at just 5mph.

Well it's a moral dilema as there's a school on my road.

However, the road is actually a cul-de-sac. It's also a nightmare to turn round in and so very few cars do actually drive up it, let alone speed. None of us were consulted or even advised. I don't know if there's any rules about placement based on past accidents (like speed camera placement requires) but I've not known of any accident in the years I've lived there.

IMO the bumps here are totally unnecessary, and probably a result of some council dept's leftover funds which must be spent by the end of the financial year.

But... back on topic... are the signs enforceable?

If the vehicles were removed by a contractor to a nearby road, I suspect there would be little legal comeback if no damage were caused. I hope nobody would appeal to the European Court of human rights because their car was moved 50 yards to save the cost of a load of contractors having to postpone a big job.

I used to work for a contractor in west london doing roadworks,as long as the signs are up they got the legal right to call the police who used to send a hiab lorry down to remove any vehicles parked on the road,even the cars in resident parking bays as they also were suspended for the roadworks,its the council and the highways department that gives them the authority,there was loads a drivers just used to come along and park anywhere they wanted,if ya said anything to them they would give ya dogs abuse,gave us even more when they came out,car gone,and someone telling them,told ya ya couldnt park there!

I used to work for a contractor in west london doing roadworks,as long as the signs are up they got the legal right to call the police who used to send a hiab lorry down to remove any vehicles parked on the road,even the cars in resident parking bays as they also were suspended for the roadworks,its the council and the highways department that gives them the authority!

They do not have the authority without a properly-executed TRO as Green & Mean has already said.

They do not have the authority without a properly-executed TRO as Green & Mean has already said.

You can usually move vehicles from a bay without a temporary TRO the original TRO usually allows for suspensions which is how they suspend bays short term for skips, removals etc. You have to be careful with temp road work orders as the Councils usually take them out for a 3-6 month period to allow for the erratic schedule of the contractors. Its not unusual for the temp TRO to be posted locally in January for example to start in March for six months and then the contractors don't arrive until a week in June by which time everyone has forgotten they saw the order. Even with a temporary order it is reliant on the prescribed signs being in place which is usually yellow plastic signs with the date and a no waiting/stopping roundel on it.