style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

AA,

They know how to charge don't they?

Have you considered fuel direct? As you are on benefits the DWP will take the minimum permitted from your benefit and that will be considerably less than the companies will be looking for.

Keep your chin up - we are all here fighting remember the words of Winston Churchill "Pint of Bolly please!"

GK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks GKTP :D Gave me a good laugh :D I was advised by Atlantic energy to look to Housing Benefit to assist because my utilities are part of my housing situation but when I approached them, they said No Way Jose! What puzzles me is that on an Income Support breakdown sheet, there's the first lot of figures saying "this is what the Government says you need to live on". I'd like to see a breakdown of that figure and what is included for utilities. I doubt it's been updated since 1967 or something like that!

The Income Support office are pretty good on the telephone and I have a recorder so may phone them about this later. It's such a shame you can't get in to see anybody and have a sit down and a good chat anymore.:(

Sorry AA - We can but try.

I am also concerned about the level of benefit. My rent is £103 per week and brfore I took the place I called HB to ask how much they would give me. I was told £98.08 but when they started paying it was £93.27 so I am nearly £10 a week out of pocket now. I called them and was told - "yes it was £98.08 when you called but when you applied 3 weeks later it had gone down." but the good news is that it will stay at that level.

So it looks like eating might be possible round about July 23rd

You have to laugh - don't you?

GK

I'm with you there GKTP - our rent is £900, and we get just shy of £700. The house isn't in an overpriced area, it's just that their 'average market value' figures appear to be grossly inaccurate. So what happens? Tax credits that should be used for food/bills etc go on rent.

Luckily for us our situation is picking up a little, but we've been like this for over 2 years now.

What I would really like to see is the people who decide what you 'need' to live on actually living on that amount. I mean, our income was zilch, and the benefits we received didn't actually cover rent/food/bills most months so it's a vicious circle. It would help if things like child benefit were means tested so that there was a bit more money floating round to bump up the really necessary benefits - I've never understood why people with no money issues whatsoever still qualify for it??

rant over:)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Agree with you both, however, last year our local council introduced a LHA (Local Housing Assessment/Allowance) which was basically a review of rentals in the area. The new levels worked out much higher than before, in fact we qualified for £60 p.m. more than our rent, and to receive it! However, to switch to the new LHA, one had to sign off Housing Benefit on Friday, resign on Monday and go without any HB for a week, then the new rate was paid. One is only allowed to do this once a year! So, of course, having been without HB for a week and then getting the new level, the estate agents 'heard' about it, and put the rent up to the new LHA level!!!!!!!!! We now have to wait nearly another year before it can get revised:mad: I phoned Income Support for assistance for that week and they couldn't believe their ears, asked for proof, sent it, and said too bad, it's your local council's arrangements:eek:

There must be somewhere that one can see how benefit levels are determined. If my utility bills have gone up 29% and my benefits haven't, how are we meant to cover them:confused: Got a nice chatty email from my local MP today and may just take it there.......

I am getting embarrassed as when I goto sign on every two weeks I am finding that my belt can be wound in another notch.

I do not smoke, drink moderately from my existing 'cellar' (14 bottles of Slovak lager in 4 months) do not do the lottery, do not read newspapers, do not watch TV so I do not need licence, have sorned the car, no cooker, no washing machine and recently obtained fridge freezer for £20.

My 3 luxuries are internet, motorbike and the odd bit of food cooked on a single burner camping gas cooker and microwave - oh and I only drink ground coffee oh and I have adog which costs me about £1 per week to feed if no bailiffs have turned up.

GK

• 3 months later...

AA, do you have any updates ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CitB, I have been updating on my various threads AA99 v

Have been in contact with solicitors who have basically said they won't touch anything less than £5000 in debt. Also, my biggest worry is http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/161277-aa99-ge-money-car.html and they've now said they can't find anything wrong with the contract, I disagree, so am going that alone......

All in all, very disappointing. However, have found a wonderful contact at the Bristol Debt Advice Centre who has been great with assisting with our gas/elec/water bills and she seems to be getting that sorted!

In the meantime, am subbing non-stop with various threads on here to assist with my other OC's. Just trying to avoid the bk route if at all poss but not holding out. I have at least £4,5k bank charges (without interest) to try to claim back under hardship waiver but am waiting for my spreadsheet calculations http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/176846-aa99-nationwide.html

Thanks for your interest, much appreciated ;)

Okey dokey.. am catching up with your various threads. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 5 weeks later...

Update time :)

I have copied and pasted this from a utility thread I have going re their bills:

After all the usual threatening letters from Atlantic Elec & Gas and their DCA's, I received some very useful advice from the Bristol Debt Advice Centre, via phone calls and emails, no need to go into their offices.

Firstly, they have arranged for me to go on a 'Fuel Direct' plan which is basically a reasonable deduction directly from our Income Support every fortnight which will cover estimated useage plus a small proportion to reduce the arrears on both accounts.

Secondly, the water bill has been put on a 'Restart Application' whereby a reasonable amount will also be deducted from Income Support and for each payment we make, the water company matches it, thereby at the end of the year, the arrears and the useage will be up to date :-) I was also told that if one is on Income Support, there is a capped amount of +- £365 p.a. in water charges :wink:

Sadly, none of these utility companies advised me of this in their procedures and luckily I found this extremely helpful lady at the BDAC.

We still have some credit card files (disputed a/c's) with the solicitors, and are awaiting updates from them.

However, I did, a year ago, manage to arrange a repayment plan of £20-£39 p.m. with each of approximately 4 of our creditors, with interest and charges frozen. With the above deductions for utilities and 6 weeks rent arrears, I can now no longer afford these repayment plans. I have looked through the template library and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Should I now explain to them what has happened with the priority debts and offer them £1 p.m. and if so, could anybody please help me with a letter:???:

hiya,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

you'll find a suitable letter in the link and you may want to add this as well:

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks Ida:) Apologies for the misunderstanding. They've all already had those letters. What I need (but couldn't find in the templates) was a letter now advising those creditors with whom I have had repayment plans of between £7 and £39 p.m. each, over the last 12 months, that I can no longer even afford them and to offer them £1 each instead.

I have evidence of £63 p.w. Direct Fuel deductions for gas & elec, from a weekly amount of Income Support of £169 ! There's also a repayment plan going through for the water bill arrears too! They are priority bills and it's going to be tough enough........

:(

Have you queried the fuel deduction, it sounds far too high. I think you need to have prepay meters fitted and get them to set it at 10% of the debt per week, that way it would be more manageable, okay you MAY pay a bit more but you can't run up another big bill.

Have you managed to get them to admit that the bill is wrong, they used to 'guestimate' mine, and I was out all day, back about 7pm whereas the previous person in the flat was in all day and had heating on 24/7 due to illness and small children...

Thank you both so much for subbing:wink:

Letter B in the link ;)

ida x

Thank you, will go there now

Have you queried the fuel deduction, it sounds far too high. I think you need to have prepay meters fitted and get them to set it at 10% of the debt per week, that way it would be more manageable, okay you MAY pay a bit more but you can't run up another big bill.

Have you managed to get them to admit that the bill is wrong, they used to 'guestimate' mine, and I was out all day, back about 7pm whereas the previous person in the flat was in all day and had heating on 24/7 due to illness and small children...

We didn't 'run up' these high bills, they sent me a bill at end of November with an undated letter enclosed saying they'd raised their prices by 29.2% wef 24 August and it had been backdated:eek:

I have another thread for my utility bills which I am shortly going to post up a copy of my letter that went off yesterday. Will post the link soon. Thanks again for your subbings :)

Ida, have just retrieved that letter, thank you. However, can I use that to offer them all £1 p.m. and state somewhere that's all they'll get under our circumstances if they take me to court? Or should I just not bother and let them work it out:???:

hello AA99

thanks for your hello on sunflowers thread cheers, im getting better have had a few bad months

hope you are okay and i promise to catch up with your antics over the next couple of days

just wanted to wish you and your posters all a sunny day

laters angel x

ps i have missed all my friends here too :)

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi AA:)

If you can wait a couple of days I'll have a pop at a letter for you if you still need one? I can't do anything until the weekend though I'm afraid.

take care, and don't let the bas88ds grind you down! Go and have a read of the phone call I had with DCRI a few days ago (mbna thread), that might cheer you up a bit x

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.