Students do get a little xtra

Guest NATTIE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest NATTIE

I was doing some research for a thread in relation to what each bank charges for copy statements when I came across the HBOS site, which is offering, I believe the highest OD facility for students.

It states under charges

Paid items that takes you over an agreed overdraft

Students £20 per item(no more than 1 per day)

Personal customers £30 per item (no more than 3 per day)

Cardcash No charge

under 18's no charge

Failed or returned items

Students £20 per item(no more than 1 per day)

Personal customers £39 per item(no more than 3 per day)

Cardcash(see above)

Under 18's no charge

I'll come back with how much the banks in general are charging international students

Well, those charges are news to me!

I have a student account (soon to be 2nd yr) and I get charged £28 (overlimit) and £35 (paid items)...

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

Double check with your bank about those. I included an overdraft arrangement fee in my (HSBC) claim on the basis that I was told that they weren't supposed to apply to student accounts.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

i have a hsbc account with a student overdraft of 1500. which they regulary allow me to go over.

to clarify i can go into a shop put through some food for £20 and it will go through even if i am already as i once was £1843 overdrawn

which meant i would now be £363 pounds o/d.

however they wont let me take cash out of a cash machine. i have never been charged for this or wrote to or called.

my friend same age same o/d same bank hsbc does get called the only difference is i am working and money is constantly going in and out of the account where as his account can go 3 - 4 months without any payments in.

neither of us have been subject to any charges

• 5 months later...

Funny thing is. Last year I had about 1 or 2 failed Direct Debits and in may, June and was mad worried I had been charged. Funny thing , I was mad scared I had to pay charges although never did

Capital One SAR sent-15.03.07. Info recieved-13.04.07

Barclay Card SAR sent-15.03.07

WORK IN PROGRESS :cool:!!!;)

I don't like the general idea of student accounts anyway - I didn't want to get one because of the temptation to say 'oh, don't worry about that extra £10/£20/£30; I've got a £1,500 OD limit'. I'm careful with money, but the temptation would still be there. I think that to automatically give someone an effective £1,500 loan just because they're classed as 'student' could under another name be called irresponsible lending.

I'm a student, and living in a 'University town', and feel sick to my stomach at the way the vultures move in - in the town centre, there are stands everywhere offering almost every financial 'service' available, and reps specifically target people my age. Here, have a credit card. Here, have a loan. Here, have Sky+. Car? Here you go, don't worry about the payments, we've got a stand, so it's all right.

As I mentioned on one of my threads about Abbey about a month ago, when I went into my bank to get a charge refunded (long story, their fault in the first place), the FIRST thing the rep asked me was why I didn't have a student account. Not, 'sorry you've had to come in to sort this out' or even 'let me try and see what I can do here' - no - WHY don't you have one of our services? Implying (in my mind) that I was irresponsible or not quite right in the head to not WANT to put myself in debt to them to the tune of £1,500. And people wonder why student debt is spiralling out of control in this country.

Ahem. Rant over. :D

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

And people wonder why student debt is spiralling out of control in this country.

That would be less to do with £1500 overdrafts and more to do with £20000 maintenance loans. ;)

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941