Interested in APR and fees and how they effect agreement unenforceability

Peterbard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

According to the prescribed terms and confirmed by Peter, as I took out a loan, the rate of interest isn't required in my case. Peter also reckoned I could possibly challenge if the interest has been incorrectly calculated however your calculation indicates the interest charged is pretty much correct.

Peter's right again :)

been spending too much time on credit cards recently lol

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi gh2008

I was wondering if you could work out the figures for this personal loan

Amount of credit £20,000

1st monthly payment £447.50 (included arrangement fee of £50)

then 59 payments of £397.50

Interest £3,850

Interest is stated as 3.85% pa

APR is stated as 7.5%

Total payable £23,900

I can't work out if the interest and APR are correctly stated. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

socleirigh

Hi gh2008

I was wondering if you could work out the figures for this personal loan

Amount of credit £20,000

Interest £3,850

APR is stated as 7.5%

Total payable £23,900

I can't work out if the interest and APR are correctly stated. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible you can scan up your loan agreement deleting any personal details?

Amount of credit £20,000

Interest £3,850

APR is stated as 7.5%

Total payable £23,900

Apr is spot on interest rate is ridiculously out it should be 7.40% from my calcs

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Only the APR as it is a calculated figure and not a figure used for the actual interest calculations

The other figures should be exact although small error will be seen as not prejudicing either side and will be dismissed as de-minimus issues

Is it possible you can scan up your loan agreement deleting any personal details?

Hi frettfull38

Sorry for taking so long to get the agreement scanned in response to your post29. Hopefully the attachments below will work

BOI CCA.pdf

BOI CCA 1.pdf

BOI CCA 2.pdf

I understand that the APR is correct, but the interest quoted as 3.85 per annum is incorrect. Although interest is not a prescribed term for fixed-sum loans, could it be regarded as a breach if any interest in the agreement is incorrectly stated?

Kind Regards

socleirigh

Regards

socleirigh

TOTAL CHARGE for CREDIT consists of any monies that you contractually agreed to pay in order to procure the loan. It Includes;

• The interestlink3.gif charged on the loan
  • Any setting up fees charged by the creditor
  • Any insurance that was conditional on you getting the loan (if you didn’t buy they wouldn’t give you the loan)
  • The final purchase element on a hire purchase agreement
  • Any brokerage charges
  • Any attached agreements necessary to the purchase of the loan

(An exhaustive list of charges that should be included in the TCC are contained in the TCC regulations 1980)

We have seen that that he interestlink3.gif rate is calculated using the total credit and the amount of interestlink3.gif .

The APR. is calculated by using the total credit and the (amount of interestlink3.gif + all the compulsory charges (or the TCC) ).

The Regulations and Total Charge for Credit

Section 9(4) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 says

For the purposes of this Act, an item entering into the total charge for credit shall not be treated as credit even though time is allowed for its payment.”

Section 20 enables the secretary of state to definewhat items are to be treated as entering into the total charge for credit, and how their amount is to be ascertained;”.

This he does in the statutory instrument, Total Charge for Credit Regulations.

posted by peterbard

Hi

Does this mean if;

broker fees

commissions

override payments

Are 'secret' that they are not identified on the loan anywhere, the APR is wrong?

Many Thanks

TOTAL CHARGE for CREDIT consists of any monies that you contractually agreed to pay in order to procure the loan. It Includes;

• The interestlink3.gif charged on the loan
  • Any setting up fees charged by the creditor
  • Any insurance that was conditional on you getting the loan (if you didn’t buy they wouldn’t give you the loan)
  • The final purchase element on a hire purchase agreement
  • Any brokerage charges
  • Any attached agreements necessary to the purchase of the loan

(An exhaustive list of charges that should be included in the TCC are contained in the TCC regulations 1980)

We have seen that that he interestlink3.gif rate is calculated using the total credit and the amount of interestlink3.gif .

The APR. is calculated by using the total credit and the (amount of interestlink3.gif + all the compulsory charges (or the TCC) ).

The Regulations and Total Charge for Credit

Section 9(4) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 says

For the purposes of this Act, an item entering into the total charge for credit shall not be treated as credit even though time is allowed for its payment.”

Section 20 enables the secretary of state to definewhat items are to be treated as entering into the total charge for credit, and how their amount is to be ascertained;”.

This he does in the statutory instrument, Total Charge for Credit Regulations.

posted by peterbard

Hi

Does this mean if;

broker fees

commissions

override payments

Are 'secret' that they are not identified on the loan anywhere, the APR is wrong?

Many Thanks

Very good question enslaved, but does the above apply to agreements of £25k and below or not? and if these things are entered in to the total charge for credit then would that make the loan unenforceable? Where do we find out for 100% sure, and does this apply to any agreement?

Hi Fretful

Yes, my agreement which is covered by the CCA 1974 and secured on my property (wave goodbye, already gone).

Secret commissions, broker fee and override payment, not declared, not itemised, no 'may pay brokers', no 'may take commissions', narda, bugger all.

Rest unknown, seek advice like yourself.

p.s. What is an override payment?

Many Thanks

Hi

Yes although the APR is not a prescribed term it is srill a breach if it is outice the peramiters set in the regs.

It is after all the main indicator of the value of the loan or hhow good the bargain was. The court will rule against the creditor in most csses if he has missled you in your transaction by giving a false APR.

Also the APR total charge for credit are all mathematically linked so an incorrect apr may indicate that a fee is in the total credit when it should not be so the whoe agreement really needs to be properly evaluated.

Peter

This is a question for peterbard as I believe he will have a better understanding of working what I am trying to. My question is that if the interest rate on my unregulated loan agreement is different to the one my lender has showed on my loan statement then what does the law say to that?

I believe that my lender has written a different interest rate to the one stated on my loan agreement. I have highlighted just the paragraph on my loan agreement which shows the interest rate, and I have attached my loan statement which was in my subject access request I received from my lender.

If you read paragraph "I" it states that interest at discount will be 7.80%

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/Blemainagreement-1.jpg

and if you read loan statement interest rate is shown as 9.80% funding rate and 9.80% current full rate

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/blemainloanstatementinterest-1.jpg

This is a question for peterbard as I believe he will have a better understanding of working what I am trying to. My question is that if the interest rate on my unregulated loan agreement is different to the one my lender has showed on my loan statement then what does the law say to that?

I believe that my lender has written a different interest rate to the one stated on my loan agreement. I have highlighted just the paragraph on my loan agreement which shows the interest rate, and I have attached my loan statement which was in my subject access request I received from my lender.

If you read paragraph "I" it states that interest at discount will be 7.80%

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/Blemainagreement-1.jpg

and if you read loan statement interest rate is shown as 9.80% funding rate and 9.80% current full rate

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/blemainloanstatementinterest-1.jpg

Hi

I will have to have a think about this and do a few sums i will get back to you, why would you say this was unregulated? is this still active?

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Peterbard..

.As this is your thread...and BECAUSE for the life of me I am MORE confused NOW than when I read this thread...could you somehow for my sake bring the analysis and take me through this step by step to a level a ten year old wolud be able to understand cos' I just cannot grasp it...I get mental blocks for some things that I cant understand ....AND believe me THIS i cannot understand.

I should very much appreciuate if you were to explain the whole concept in much simpler terms.

As long as at the end of the day we lesser mortals are able to grasp this you will have succeeded.

I really fall in calculating the APR more than anything but should like you to go through it again.

Much (mentally exhausted) thanks!:confused:

Edited by means2anend

Hi

I will have to have a think about this and do a few sums i will get back to you, why would you say this was unregulated? is this still active?

Peter

Hi peter, I know my agreement is unregulated because it is over £25k and was taken out in Oct 07. I will wait for you to get back to me when you have done the sums. Thank you, and yes it is still active

Hi frettfull38

Sorry for taking so long to get the agreement scanned in response to your post29. Hopefully the attachments below will work

[ATTACH]16505[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16506[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16507[/ATTACH]

I understand that the APR is correct, but the interest quoted as 3.85 per annum is incorrect. Although interest is not a prescribed term for fixed-sum loans, could it be regarded as a breach if any interest in the agreement is incorrectly stated?

Kind Regards

socleirigh

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at my agreement above. The APR is correct, but the interest rate is wrong. What effect, if any, would this have on unenforceability?

Kind regards

socleirigh

Regards

socleirigh

• 2 months later...
Hi

Peter

Hi peter, you never got back too me, just a bump. Thanks

Peterbard..

.As this is your thread...and BECAUSE for the life of me I am MORE confused NOW than when I read this thread...could you somehow for my sake bring the analysis and take me through this step by step to a level a ten year old wolud be able to understand cos' I just cannot grasp it...I get mental blocks for some things that I cant understand ....AND believe me THIS i cannot understand.

I should very much appreciuate if you were to explain the whole concept in much simpler terms.

As long as at the end of the day we lesser mortals are able to grasp this you will have succeeded.

I really fall in calculating the APR more than anything but should like you to go through it again.

Much (mentally exhausted) thanks!:confused:

There are APR and interest calculators on the net.

An out of tolerance APR is a breach of schedule 1 1983 regs which isn't a fatal breach for the purpose of 127(3). However, an APR so out of tolerance that its intention is to mislead is an offence.

The Interest rate on a variable rate loan is a prescribed term and CANNOT be slightly misstated, there are no de-minimus issues in relation to a prescribed term.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill