CREDIT CARD VARIATION OF TERMS - Extortionate Credit Bargains

MarkieMark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Theres hundreds of loans where the banks have done this.

In the last few months APR on credit cards have increased dramatically.

I have found a case where you can challenge this increase:-

Lomard Tricity Finance V Paton

Where the banks increased the rate when ever they wanted too.. could be a breach of the Unfair Contract Terms In Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999.

I would recommend you read the terms and conditions:-

Consumer Credit (agreements ) regulations 1983 schedule 1 paragraph 19.

If there is no clause that states "the circumstances in which a variation may occur " then you may have a claim that the agreement had not been executed in accordance with section 65 of the CCA 1974.

All the agreements I have looked at did not contain such term.

Edited by MarkieMark
adding the act

All England Law Reports/1989/Volume 1 /Lombard Tricity Finance Ltd v Paton - [1989] 1 All ER 918

Held - It was lawful for a consumer credit contract to provide that the lender could unilaterally vary the rate of

interest in its absolute discretion subject to notice to the borrower as required by law. Such a provision did not

conflict with para 19 of Sch 1 to the 1983 regulations, since 'the circumstances in which any variation ... may occur'

did not refer to external factors such as changes in the market rates of interest which might cause a variation, and

neither the 1974 Act nor the 1983 regulations made such a provision unlawful. Accordingly, the lender was not

obliged to set out the factors which could cause him to exercise his contractual power to increase the rate of

interest. Nor was it necessary for such an agreement to state specifically that the lender had an absolute discretion

or that it could raise the interest rate for any reason whatsoever. It followed that, since the agreement between the

credit company and the defendant did not infringe para 19 of Sch 1 to the 1983 regulations, the appeal would be

allowed (see p 923 g to j and p 924 b c g, post)

Have you read the appeal judgment Mark as it seems to overrule the original judgment and held that the agreement was properly executed. atleast thats what the case ive just looked at states

Hi PT2537

I found the information in a book I purchased called Consumer Sales Law by Professor JK Macleod second edition 2007.

The information I have states the appeal was struck down and it was unfair in accordance with the UCTA section 3(2)b.

I looked for the full case in the net but did not find it anywhere.

Would you have a copy? or know where I can get it from?

Thanks

• 3 months later...