Noisy laptop PC world

jennyf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer us some advice. My husband bought a laptop from PC World 2 days ago, a HP hdx16. It has a noisy fan and it is driving my husband mad. It is bad enough that he does not want to use the laptop. Other websites have indicated that noisy fans can be a problem and recommend downloading updated version of BIOS. We have done this and it has not helped. We are going to the store tomorrow, but if there is no fault with the laptop what chance do we have of a refund or exchange? We may be left with a £1000 laptop which we cannot use or could sell on but we would lose money. Is there anything we could say to the store to increase our chances of a refund?

Thanks.

You'll have to consult their in-store terms.

If you can demonstrate that the noise amounts to a fault, then you will be entitled to a refund or a repair - in this circumstance, probably at the store's discretion as to which.

If there is no fault then it is down to the store's returns policy and their goodwill.

The best thing to do is to get them to start up another one - is there a dispolay model? If another one is less noisy then you will have proved the fault

Did you have the laptop demonstrated to you in store. If so, how noisy was it? If it was the same as your laptop is now, then you wouldn't be entitled to anything because you had ample opertunity to listen to the laptop before hand.

If your's sounds completely different the odds are there is a fault in the fan somewhere and you should back up your data and return it to the shop under the 28 day guarantee. Your stance should be that the laptop fan is considerably louder than the one on display in the shop, and that this is almost certainly a developing fault and you'd like either an exchange or refund under the 28 day guarantee before the machine actualy breaks fully and you lose data. If they refuse to exchange or refund it, saying it is not a fault or not yet a fault, then you should state that the one on display is much quieter and theirfore a misreprisentation of the background noise generated by the laptop, and a misreprisented sale.

Please bare in mind that a laptop fan will speed up and become louder if it's overheating, so try sitting it on a flat surface in a relitively cool room and see if the sound is still as loud. If it is then it is almost certainly a fault. You'd be better off trying this at home before returning it, because they will test your laptop in the shop first to make sure this isn't the problem.

If I were you I'd stress that this issue needs to be resolved within the 28 day period, otherwise the company will try and have you send it away for repair, which takes another 28 days and is unacceptable for a laptop you've barely used.

Noisy fan can be counted as a fault, we get alot in at our place, sometimes needs a change sometimes blasting it with compressed air will loosen up if its catching onsome thing done that with mine twice now (cans of air can be got nearly anywhere, asda/staple/maplins etc)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Your stance should be that the laptop fan is considerably louder than the one on display in the shop, and that this is almost certainly a developing fault and you'd like either an exchange or refund under the 28 day guarantee before the machine actualy breaks fully and you lose data.

If I were you I'd stress that this issue needs to be resolved within the 28 day period, otherwise the company will try and have you send it away for repair, which takes another 28 days and is unacceptable for a laptop you've barely used.

There is no such thing as a 28 day guarantee. You are refering to the store's own return policy, which has nothing to do with faulty goods.

Please make this clear.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

There is no such thing as a 28 day guarantee. You are refering to the store's own return policy, which has nothing to do with faulty goods.

Please make this clear.

Cheers

Lefty

More commonly known as "The 28 day money back guarantee".

AKA: The period within which the store (under their own policy) will return unopened or faulty goods and replace or refund them rather than repair them.

Still, you know what I ment, I'm sure the OP know's what I ment.. No need to pick fault.

Hi, thanks for everyone's replies. We went to the shop yesterday, prepared to discuss the fact that the laptop demonstrated to us was quiet, but after simply telling them the problem they agreed to a refund. I couldn't believe it! The salesperson did say it shouldn't be making a noise but they didn't start the laptop to hear the noise, they just checked it was all there and took it away. I wonder if there have been other complaints.

Thanks again x