• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Champix -A cautionary tale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was tipped off about Champix by my mum late last year who, having smoked 40-60 for 40+ years had been prescribed this new wonder drug and hadnt smoked for 2 months, so a couple of weeks before xmas i got a recomendation later from my local Stop smoking group for my GP.

I had already Googled Champix and found that in a minority of cases there had been feelings of depression and in extreme cases attempted/ actual suicide among other effects.

My GP seemed reluctant to prescribe and insisted that if I felt any side effects whatsover I was to stop taking the course immediately - which I took as him being a bit over-cautious as it seemed to me that these effects would only affect people who had either prone to or had a previous history of depression.

This couldn't possibly happen to me as I've always been a very positive, outgoing and level headed type. Not to mention that I also started a new job last november which is going really well, have no massive money worries, a beautiful 2yr old daughter and another baby due later this year.

I started the course of Champix a week before xmas - Day 8 was xmas day - so i picked the 27th Dec as my stop day although I started feeling that smoking was a waste of time and throwing away 1/2 smokied cigarettes from about the 23rd. I had also cut down from c.35 to 25/20/15 etc

Apart from a very occasional craving, which was fairly easily resisted, I have no interest in smoking whatsoever and have been recomending Champix to others.

Side effect wise, I noticed a very minor feeling of nausea just after taking the tablet and i wasn't sleeping quite as well as normal - sometimes waking up a couple of times in the night but these seemed a fairly small price to pay for a smoke free existance and could equally be put down to giving up nicotine as Champix.

So far so good, then on Monday it went very very wrong. I'd had a minor row indoors and sulked off to the pub on Sunday evening - not exactly a regular occurrance but something that will occasionally happen in any relationship. When i got back, we made up and all was ok. Seemingly.

When I woke up Monday it was as if a blck cloud had had descended. I called work with an excuse (odd in itself as i wouldnt normally go sick unless i was really ill, especially so soon after joining a new firm). Then deciding that i'd had enough, emptied all the tablets in our medicine cupboard into a plastic and stormed out of the house mid morning.

From here it gets a bit blurry, apparently i found a pub open and hit the double whiskies (i only ever drink lager with a lemonade top) for a couple of hours then found a quiet corner and swallowed all the tablets.

I must of "come to" because again apparently i called my partner, told her weher i was and what i'd done. So she called an ambulance.

By the time it arrived, i'd left the pub eventually to be found collapsed in my front garden around 2pm.

My partner has some medical experience and says it was almost like there 2 of me - one wanting to commit suicide and the "real" me trying to fight it and get help.

I'm now back at home, having had my stomach pumped and a psychiatric assessment (which could find no find reason at all for me to do this other possibly Champix).

Obviously i'm not taking Champix any more, and have only had 2-3 cigarettes in the last few days (it has been just bit stressful) but i'm now going to give by willpower alone.

All I can say is that Champix definately works in terms of giving up but be careful as the warnings are there for a very real reason.

I've also done a bit more research into Champix (Chantix in the US) and it seems this is more common that Pfizer are letting on - googling "Champix+suicidal" or "chantix+legal" will give a you a better idea.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I too have had a really bad couple of weeks. I started taking Champix about 6 weeks ago, started off brilliantly, as you say i felt sick just after taking the tablet and had very vivid dreams and didnt sleep aswell, again i thought small price to pay in order to give up smoking. the last couple of weeks , week 5 and 6 have been awful, ive been feeling like i am on the brink of having a nervous breakdown, i got extremely drunk last friday night, cannot remember a thing about the night, scared myself to death, i have been drunk before, but never as bad as i was last friday. i havnt been able to cope with the pressure at work and called in sick the other day as i fell over on the way to work and just couldnt handle it, i've been crying continuously and have had very depressed thoughts, have not been able to concentrate at work either,, not quite suicidal, but getting there. I also stopped taking champix immediately and i am feeling better.I would not recommened this drug, it completely messes with your mind.

• 1 month later...

I also had to stop taking Champix after a few weeks. I've never suffered with depression before (only alcoholic induced depression; but I've recovered from that a long time ago), but I did with Champix.

I found myself sitting on the sofa for two days, not wanting to get off it, not wanting to mix or talk to anyone; I was very out of character and my Missis strongly suggested I stop taking the tablets.

I did.

Data Protection Act sent to Barclays Bank 15 May 06.

Bank statements received 9 May 06. Owed £610 in charges and £31.96 in interest.

Prelim letter sent 15 Jun 06.

Letter Before Action sent 26 Jun 06.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I had a very bad experience on champix, my Dr proscribed the drug without looking into my medical history i had previously been diagnosed with depression but after reading the notes acompanying the drug i decided i felt ok and was desperate to give up smoking after 30+ years however i i had very bad sleep patterns and was always tired usualy only getting around 2 to 3 hours sleep a night i became moody and the mood swings became more and more heated halfway through week 12 i found out my long term partner was cheating on me and i withdrew into a quiet moody shell very depressed and lethargic, at work id snap and shout totally out of charicter for me, on the 7th day i was on the verge of suicide but instead turned my anger towards my partner who didnt know i knew about her affairs she was shocked and angry shouting at me and im ashamed to admit i slapped her accross the face, i am now in the proccess of being prossicuted for assault and ive lost a woman i love my house my friends and family i'm still very depressed and having suicidal thoughts, my ex wife from before has made a statement to the affect that even though she cheated on me too after 12 years of marriage it was totaly out of charictor for me as i never ever raised a finger to her in all the 12 years and im not a violent person, i whole heartedly believe i would never have lost my temper to that affect had it not been for the side affects of the champix, My Dr has supplied my solicitor with my medical records with verification to my depression the paperwork supplied with the drug clearly states that it should not be proscribed to anybody with a history of depression, i know i will have to plead guilty to the assault and as a result i will also loose my job as well as loosing my partner and family, but does anyone think i have sufficiant evidence to sue the NHS for proscribing them in the first place and if so how do i go about it on a low budget?