Penalised by Cap One, for paying my payment early.

oldgirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am truly lost for words, received my Capital One statement on Friday and they had charged me £12 for a missed payment. To cut a long story short i had paid my October payment early (3rd), before I received my statement which goes from October 5th. Rang them just now and got my £12 refunded but was told because I paid my payment before the start of my new statement it means that i have not paid my October payment according to them. They are asking for a double payment by 30th November.

Hope this makes sense to you all, I'm confused myself as I can't believe I've been penalised for early payment.

I would really appreciate some sound advice from you experts, would you pay up, if not what advice can you offer me please. I never pay early usually and believe me I never will again.

Thank you in advance

oldgirl

Ah, the joys of the automated system! Happens to me all the time, as DH gets paid 4 weekly, so unavoidably, at some point I will make 2 payments in 1 month, and whoever it is will get shirty...

The problem with credit cards is that you have to make a minimum monthly payment, but there is nothing to stop you making as many payments as you like. You could make weekly payments, or top-up if you get a bit extra, whatever the reason... So the system doesn't recognise that you have actually made your payment early, it just sees that you made another payment before the new statement got issued and as a result, your new statement starts again with no payment made to it...

Are you only making minimum payments at the moment? The problem you have is that if you don't "catch up", it will roll over and over and the charges will start piling up, and yes, you can reclaim them, but if you can pay the "extra" payment they want, it will be easier in the long run.

Thanks Bookworm, I do pay extra when I can, you're right of course about the charges piling up. I suppose it would be easier to pay up, it just hacks me off that usually i never pay early and the one time i do I get penalised.

Your advice is appreciated anyway, a hard lesson but not one I'll make again.

Thank you.

• 6 years later...

Just a quick question please folks,

have received an income & expenditure form from, Credit Solutions of Purley, Surrey, am i legally obliged to fill this in and send it back to them.

We had a DMP with Stepchange but decided to self manage,

all ok apart from Capital One who have passed my account on to CS,

they are trying to squeeze more than the £5.79 a month as decided by Stepchange out of me.

I'm tempted to knock it down to £1,

what would be the outcome if i did,

anyone any advice please?

hope you've sent them and all your other creditors a CCA request?

who are CSL's 'client' in there letters please?

and no they have no right to that info.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What is the outstanding debt with Capone ?

You might find that they persist with the I&E. I would just say that you are basing your contribution to them based on information provided by Step Change - which was acceptable to Capone.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many thanks for the advice: dx,

no i have not got round to sending cca requests yet,

the letter says: Regarding: Capital One Bank (Europe) & refers to them as 'our client' in the letter.

citizenB: the outstanding debt is for £861.40, yes good advice about the amount being acceptable to Capone through Stepchange,

this is what i will put in the letter that I'm about to write.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

If you continue to have problems with them, let us know and we can advise further.

It isn't a huge debt (although when you are in debt it can seem like the National Debt) so they should back off a bit.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

BCOBS

I myself was with CCCS now step change,

however after many mistakes on their behalf I decided/opted to go into my own debt management plan with my creditors,

I wrote to all the companies and explained my reason for going it alone, and gave them a monthly figure that was/is affordable to myself,

ALL the creditors accepted the offers without question,

two sent me expenditure forms to complete, to which I never returned, the others accepted the offer without issue.

I have managed my own plan now for a little over three years without problem, clearing two debts, leaving four to go .

Debts going down all but slowly but at a affordable amount to myself.

Debts will be 6 years old ( defaulted ) come September 2015, from which I will continue to repay but will drop my credit file.

Non of the companies have applied for CJJs or bothered me in the slightest, just send me yearly statements showing money repaid and amount owed.

Suits me just fine and also have peace of mind I have and am clearing debts that I racked up some years ago.

Edited to correct spelling.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Many thanks for the advice: dx,

no i have not got round to sending cca requests yet,

the letter says: Regarding: Capital One Bank (Europe) & refers to them as 'our client' in the letter.

as the debt is stil owned by cap1 you can totally ignore the no powers DCA

theres little point a this stage in sending a CCa request

as the debt is still owned by the OC

but ofcourse they'd still need the signed agreement to enforce it or demand money

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...