Bullying/harrasment at work and on Facebook

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had a discussion at work with my manager as to the bullying and harrasment im receiving at work and thru facebook from a member of management and a colleague at work.

Im embarrased to admit that me, a 35 year old woman, is feeling bullied an intimidated by women that are 10 years younger than me and im on medication due to the bullying.

I dont know what defines bullying and harrasment but i will list some of the things that have been going on at work.

The other member of management had been off sick from work earlier this year, i dont know why, but i started recieving phone calls at home asking me if i was happy that i was the reason xxxxxxxxx was off work because it was all my fault (having spoken to my manager he reassures me it was nothing to do with me)

Ive had notes left on my car windscreen whilst at work telling me to f**k off and die and to do everyone a favour and leave.

Im more senior to the other member of management and as such ive been asked to relay messages and guidance to them, i do what im asked to do to be met with hostility, verbal abuse, written abuse on staff notice boards and written abuse on facebook, mainly between the member of management and another colleague at work.

If im duty manager at work when this particular colleague is at work they leave hurtful comments on facebook about me and tell the rest of the staff at work that night not to talk to me, ignore what i ask them to do and tell them ive said this that and the other about them.

It might seem part and parcel of the job for some people but ive had all this going on for the past 2 years and im at the end of my tether.

When i spoke to my manager he straight away asked me if i wanted a transfer to another store, but why should i move!

They want to push me out and if i go then they have won, but i honestly dont know how much more i can take, im drained mentally and physically and my life outside of work is suffering, im even having nightmares about these people at work.

My manager has said that he will speak to the poeple involved but tbh i think it will make matters worse.

My friends that i do have at work are disgusted at the way things have been left to fester and grow, this isnt the first time ive spoken to my boss about whats going on at work, and my friends are now being subjected to bullying because they are my friends.

Im trying to put on a brave face to my family, but when i speak to my mum and she says theres something wrong with me because ive gone from being an outgoing, funny, always happy person to a shadow of my former self what can i say to her apart from im just a bit stressed out at work.

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Is it a large organisation you work for? I would go for the grievance policy if so. The manager is obviously as much use as a fish on a hot radiator so go over their head and inform their boss.

You say that you are these peoples' superiors, can you put them on a warning for not taking instructions from you, let them carry on and then they will have grounds for being sacked!

As for the harrassment in the written form, keep everything, print off the facebook comments and inform the police, it is illegal and most certainly IS bullying.

Good luck, they are obviously of low intelligence and have no self esteem.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Not only as a senior member of a workforce, but also as a human being you have a right to be treated correctly. Has your company come across the equality and diversity training package ( we had ours last year ) which covers bullying, backstabbing, racism, etc.

You are still allowed to use your companies grievance procedure.

This person whoever they may be must be brought to hand and disciplined. Whatever problem they have with you should be thrashed out via a proper organised meeting, not like schoolkids in a playground.

unwanted conduct affecting the dignity of men and women in the workplace. It may be related to age, sex, race, disability, religion, nationality or any personal characteristic of the individual, and may be persistent or an isolated incident. The key is that the actions or comments are viewed as demeaning and unacceptable to the recipient.

Bullying may be characterised as:

offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means intended to undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.

Bullying or harassment may be by an individual against an individual (perhaps by someone in a position of authority such as a manager or supervisor) or involve groups of people. It may be obvious or it may be insidious. Whatever form it takes, it is unwarranted and unwelcome to the individual.

Examples of bullying/harassing behaviour include:

• spreading malicious rumours, or insulting someone by word or behaviour (particularly on the grounds of age, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation and religion or belief)
  • copying memos that are critical about someone to others who do not need to know
  • ridiculing or demeaning someone - picking on them or setting them up to fail
  • exclusion or victimisation
  • * unfair treatment
  • overbearing supervision or other misuse of power or position
  • unwelcome sexual advances - touching, standing too close, the display of offensive materials
  • making threats or comments about job security without foundation
  • deliberately undermining a competent worker by overloading and constant criticism
  • preventing individuals progressing by intentionally blocking promotion or training opportunities.

Bullying and harassment are not necessarily face to face. They may also occur in written communications, email, phone, and automatic supervision methods such as computer recording of downtime from work or the number of calls handled if these are not applied to all workers.

Bullying and harassment make someone feel anxious and humiliated. Feelings of anger and frustration at being unable to cope may be triggered. Some people may try to retaliate in some way. Others may become frightened and demotivated. Stress, loss of self-confidence and self-esteem caused by harassment or bullying can lead to job insecurity, illness, absence from work, and even resignation. Almost always job performance is affected and relations in the workplace suffer.

The legal position

Employers are responsible for preventing bullying and harassing behaviour. It is in their interests to make it clear to everyone that such behaviour will not be tolerated - the costs to the business may include poor employee relations, low morale, inefficiency and potentially the loss of staff. An organisational statement to all staff about the standards of behaviour expected can make it easier for all individuals to be fully aware of their responsibilities to others.

Discrimination and harassment

It is not possible to make a direct complaint to an employment tribunal about bullying. However, employees might be able to bring complaints under laws covering discrimination and harassment. For example:

• sex: the Sex Discrimination Act gives protection against discrimination and victimisation on the grounds of sex, marriage or because someone intends to undergo, is undergoing or has undergone gender reassignment

• race: the Race Relations Act 1976 gives protection against discrimination and victimisation on the grounds of colour or nationality. The regulations that amended the Act (Race Regulations 2003) also give a stand alone right to protection from harassment on the grounds of race and ethnic or national origin

• disability: the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 gives protection against discrimination and victimisation

• sexual orientation: the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003 give protection against discrimination and harassment on the grounds of sexual orientation (orientation is defined as 'same sex' - ?/gay - 'opposite sex' - heterosexual - and 'both sexes' - bisexual)

• religion or belief: the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003 give protection against discrimination and harassment on the grounds of religion or belief
  • age:the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 give protection against discrimination and harassment on the grounds of age.

What can you do?

Bullying and harassment are often clear cut but sometimes people are unsure whether or not the way they are being treated is acceptable. If this applies to you there are a number of things to consider, including:

• has there been a change of management or organisational style to which you just need time to adjust - perhaps because you have a new manager or work requirements?
  • is there an organisational statement of standards of behaviour that you can consult?
  • can you talk over your worries with your personnel manager, your line manager/supervisor, union representative or colleagues, who you may find share your concerns?
  • can you agree changes to workload or ways of working that will make it easier for you to cope?

If you are sure you are being bullied or harassed, then there are a number of options to consider, and these are set out below. You should take any action you decide upon as quickly as possible.

Let your union or staff representative know of the problem, or seek advice elsewhere, perhaps from a Citizens Advice Bureau, an Acas enquiry point or one of the bullying helplines that are now available by phone and on the Internet.

Try to talk to colleagues to find out if anyone else is suffering, or if anyone has witnessed what has happened to you - avoid being alone with the bully.

If you are reluctant to make a complaint, go to see someone with whom you feel comfortable to discuss the problem. This may be your manager, or someone in personnel (particularly if there is someone who specifically deals with equality issues), your trade union representative, or a counsellor if your organisation has suitably trained people available.

Keep a diary of all incidents - records of dates, times, any witnesses, your feelings, etc. Keep copies of anything that is relevant, for instance annual reports, letters, memos, notes of any meetings that relate to your ability to do your job. Bullying and harassment often reveal themselves through patterns of behaviour and frequency of incidents. Keep records and inform your employer of any medical help you seek.

Tell the person to stop whatever it is they are doing that is causing you distress, otherwise they may be unaware of the effect of their actions. If you find it difficult to tell the person yourself, you may wish to get someone else - a colleague, trade union official or confidential counsellor - to act on your behalf.

If you cannot confront the bully, consider writing a memo to them to make it clear what it is you object to in their behaviour. Keep copies of this and any reply.

Be firm, not aggressive. Be positive and calm. Stick to the facts. Describe what happened.

If you do decide to make a formal complaint, follow your employer's procedures, which should give you information about whom to complain to and how your complaint will be dealt with.

Good luck,

Baz

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

• 3 years later...

Your absolutely right Baz............I made a post on Fiyah's other thread and got message from one of the siteteam saying that they weren't sure if Fiyah was still watching that thread........so to add to what you have said I found this info on directgov website, hope it helps Fiyah.....

Your employer should put their disciplinary procedure in writing, and make it easily available to you. For example, they could give you the details in the staff handbook. The details should include:

• your employer's disciplinary procedure rules
  • what performance and behaviour might lead to disciplinary action
  • what action your employer might take

Your employer must also give you, in writing, the name of a person you can apply to if you are dissatisfied with your employer’s decision.

Your employer can also set out their own disciplinary procedures in your employment contract. If your employer has done this and did not follow it, you could sue them for breach of contract.

If your employer does anything you think is unreasonable during a disciplinary procedure, you should tell them in writing and suggest ways to resolve the problem. They may decide to carry on with the procedure anyway, in which case you might decide to use the issue as grounds for an appeal.