style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In order for the CAG site to prosper, it needs to attract targeted visitors.

There are many people on this forum who would love to contribute financially, but who simply can't. Many of the most avid CAGgers are on benefits and in debt. A lot of these people have more time on their hands than money. Here is a way they could help out.

Although Google's algorithm for ranking web pages is known to nobody but themselves, it is clear that most of it comes down to on page optimization and backlinks. On page optimization is obviously entirely down to the site team, but there is much that can be done with backlinking.

Firstly, we need to see which terms people are searching for in the search engines. The term "Bank Charges", for example, has 163 searches a day according to Wordtracker.

FOR EXAMPLE

I have just typed "Bank Charges" into Google. The CAG site ranks seventh. That is a pretty good result in itself, but it has been conclusively proven that sites ranked in the top three of Google get many more click throughs than those on the bottom half of the page.

So, what to do?

If someone was to start up a free Squidoo lens, a free Hubpage, a free Google Page, a free Yahoo Geocities site, and a site at a free hosting company like 50webs, and then link back to the CAG page which ranks seventh in Google. This would give the CAG page five extra backlinks, including from Google and Yahoo.

Now, imagine the power if multiple people did this.

BLOGS

It is also possible to make relevant comments on high ranking blogs, and leave a link back to a CAG page. You have to be careful with this, as there are many blogs which use the "rel=nofollow" attribute, so the link juice isn't passed.

Some blogs which are do follow have high pagerank, and some are even .edu sites (extremely favourably regarded by search engines).

As I write this post, the CAG website has 422 backlinks from .com domains, 21 backlinks from .net domains, 21 from .org domains, and 434 baclinks from other types (mainly .co.uk domains). We can improve VASTLY on this, without a great deal of effort, if enough people contribute.

Note that as yet there are NO baclinks from .edu domains!

There are other tools such as social bookmarking and RSS feeds which can help even further, but we can leave those for now.

The potential to improve the CAG's ranking in the search engines is considerable based on the research I have done. As of now, there are no Squidoo or Hubpage links, and I couldn't find any evidence of links from article directories either. These are all things that can be done for free as long as you have a bit of time.

Thoughts, anyone?

SH

• Haha 1

If someone was to start up a free Squidoo lens, a free Hubpage, a free Google Page, a free Yahoo Geocities site, and a site at a free hosting company like 50webs, and then link back to the CAG page which ranks seventh in Google. This would give the CAG page five extra backlinks, including from Google and Yahoo.
Whooooosh

Although Google's algorithm for ranking web pages is known to nobody but themselves, it is clear that most of it comes down to on page optimization and backlinks. On page optimization is obviously entirely down to the site team, but there is much that can be done with backlinking.
Whoooooooosh

As I write this post, the CAG website has 422 backlinks from .com domains, 21 backlinks from .net domains, 21 from .org domains, and 434 baclinks from other types (mainly .co.uk domains). We can improve VASTLY on this, without a great deal of effort, if enough people contribute.
WHOOOOOOSH

I'm sure this makes sense, so I'll leave it to someone who understands what it all means :D

SH, these sound like very interesting ideas. Naturally, we would like very much to improve our ranking and be more accessible to people who need our kind of help.

Maybe if you would like to put up links to the kind ofs pages you are referring to, it would facilitate the process for people who would like to follow your suggestions but who don't understand their way around as thoroughly as you do.

We are very appreciative of your interest.

Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Cag on Squiddo

I've never really done much in terms of SEO to CAG, mainly because we already seem to do pretty well: tens of thousands of people find us via Google, we have a high Google PR etc. That said, extra traffic never hurts.

One point though ... When looking at backlinks, Google assesses the 'quality' of the page which the link is on. This is specifically designed to stop someone from boosting their ranking by creating dozens of websites on throw-away webspace which all point to the main domain. Backlinks from reputable sites count more than backlinks from link farms etc.

Yes BF, that is the kind of idea. These pages don't even have to be specifically for CAG. Anyone can create a free lens on any subject which the forum covers and then give a link back.

It is easy with the Squidoo format to deep link to individual pages or even posts as they have a unique URL.

Webmaster,

You are totally right about quality backlinks.

I wouldn't dismiss Squidoo lenses and Hubpages as throw away webspace. Many of the pages on these sites are well ranked in Google and the links from them are valuable.

Link farms - I agree, avoid these like the plague. Links from a "bad neighbourhood" will have a detrimental effect.

The .edu sites I mentioned are among the most respected on the internet, as .edu domains cannot be bought by anyone, and are reserved for educational establishments.

There are more highly ranked sites on which valid do-follow links can be left than many people realise.

Yes, CAG IS doing well in the search engines, but a bit of bolstering could do no harm. It has been proven that sites ranked in the top three for a search term get more click throughs than one ranked even on the bottom half of the front page.

I will get back to you.....

SH