Citi Credit - Debtor overseas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm asking advice for a friend of my wife. He moved to the US around 5 years ago after getting divorced here (Scotland). He now lives in the US, is married and is now a US citizen.

When he left the UK he had a citi credit debt, which I think is a citi credit card debt. When he left he used his parents' address for contact details and has maintained payments but recently a job loss, pay cut and the exchange rate has meant he has got into some trouble.

His parents have received a letter dated 9th October which requests full repayment in 14 days which he is unable to provide. He doesn't want his parents to know or worry as they are unable to help and he has asked us for help.

I'm thinking as he is out of the country they can't go after him but at the same time he doesn't want his parents to get the hassle of dealing with this as they don't know about the debt.

I'm thinking also there are 3 routes :

1. He does nothing, but his parents may get hassle.

2. On his behalf we go the CCA/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) route, but he is out of the country

3. He pays it (and we loan the money :eek:)

Advice on next steps welcome. We are waiting to get in touch with him (as this is out of the blue for us as well) for more details - this is as much as I know.

Thanks.

Edit:PS - he not trying to avoid the debt, just make sure his parents get no hassle.

Thanks equalize... er... 42 Man ;).

Is there a letter which gets his parents out of the firing line ? He has used this address for letters but obviously doesn't want them getting the hassle.

This is in Scotland BTW.

Cheers

Edit : His parents don't know about the debt - yet.

Edit 2 : I can use my address or a PO Box instead.

His parents shouldn't be receiving any information regarding their sons debt. This is a private and cionfidential matter and contacting third parties is a definite no no.

I would suggest raising a complaint with Trading Standards on behalf of his parents and also with the ICO as a blatant breach of the data protection act.

Also I believe the rules re: statute barring in Scotland are 5 years so in all likelihood they can't touch him or his parents in any way.

It may be worth cominng clean with his parents about this if only to maximise the defence against the DCA, they could then forwarded on any communications to you to deal with.