£2000 saga t.v boken down 3 times!!!! PLEASE HELP!

morgandanna
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone ~ I am really looking for some advice!

We purchased a 50" sagem tv for £1999.99 on 24/10/04 We also purchased an additional warranty for £274.99 Thus giving us 5 years warranty.

The t.v broke down on 10.02.07 ~ 28 months later. At that time the engineers told me that this paticular t.v was a nightmare for breaking down and was very expensive to repair. It was the light engine. We waited 10 days for it to be repaired, with no replacenet t.v offered meanwhile.

The t.v broke down again on the 10.01.08 ~ Again, another very expensive repair, (The light box) ~ again the engineer told me that the light boxes go 'All the time' and that this t.v is 'nutorious' for breaking down! Again, another wait of approx 10 days with no replacement t.v offered.

The t.v has now broken down again!!!! on the 24.08.08 ~ the engineer has called today ~ I told him that we are EXTREMELLY disappointed with this £2000 t.v! He told me that the Colour wheel has gone this time ~ but was suprised it wasn't the light box again as they just break no matter how old they are!! He has ordered the part and intends to come and fit it next week some time.

We are extremelly upset that our £2000 t.v has now broken down 3 times in less than 4 years. We don't want yet another repair. We have no confidence in the durability of this t.v! The engineers have confirmed this for us. Do you think we would be able to request a refund under the SOGA under durability?

We wouldn't mind if they offered only half of our initial cost of £2000 at least we would be rid of this awfully made t.v!

Edited by morgandanna

Firstly, SoGA does give rights in that products should last a reasonable length of time. Any remedy uner SoGA would really be limited to repair, a partial refund or replacement of a similar TV - you will not get a full refund. Ideally, you should have taken action when it first went wrong but never mind.

What does your warranty say? Normally there is something about the item being repaired x amount of times that they will replace the item.

Do you have any proof of what the engineer said about the thing breaking down all the time or bein notorious? Or have you found anything on the internet?

I would write to comet asking them to replace the TV in view of what the engineers have stated. Quote s. 14 of Sale of Goods Act which deal with durability and quality, and if you can find any references in the warranty (there are a couple of other people on the forum who are good with warranties who will probably read and respond. I am not one of them, alas, but they may be of further assistance).

The key to a good letter is to be flattering, calm and firm. If I get the chance I will draw up a letter for you but that may not be until next week. Alternatively have a look round the forum for other letters

Hope that helps do please keep us updated.

The light engine in your tv will be similar to a light bulb and so will have a limited life. New televisions will have LCD engines with greater reliability and extension in life.

I would say that your problem will be classed as fair wear and tear and as such the shop wouldn't be willing to give you a refund as it is not really an inherant fault.

Is the engineer replacing with genuine and new parts or is he sourcing them from somewhere else, maybe genuine parts are no longer available. Osram make replacements but I wouldn't know how reliable they were.

As gyzmo says, I would expect something of that price to last longer, but it is very difficult to decide in this case what is 'reasonable'.

Front projector televisions can have a life of only 18 months before the bulbs need changing, and without knowing, although rear projectors are more reliable, I would say they have a similar life expectancy.

Do you have redress against the shop? Again as gyzmo as already posted, soga would in this case be limited to repair and the seller would not give a great deal in the way of refund or vouchers even if you could get him to take it back.

I was going to suggest that on return from the repair that you sell it while it still has some warranty, but having looked on ebay for an idea of the price you might expect, there are three on there with bulbs gone for £20 (no bidders) and the other is for sale at £300, but that one has no bidders either.

Give gyzom a couple of days to come up with a letter for you and give it a go with the seller.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you Morgan.

Footy's on so here's the letter

Dear Sirs,

I purchased a television set from yourselves on [date] at [whichever store] at a cost of £2000 and also paid £275 for insurance.

I had looked round and decided on this one as it seemed a genuine bargain which I have come to expect from yourselves, and the insurance was purchased as I was so pleased with the TV that I wanted it fully protected. The saleman in store assured me that it would cover for any eventuality and, in the event that the TV needed repairing three times, that it would be replaced [only include that sentence if it was, to the best of your knowledge / memory, said to you].

Everything has seemed to work ok, but in the last 18 months, the TV set has broken down 3 times [here bullet point the dates and nature of the problem].

On each occasion, you kindly arranged for an engineer to rectify the problem, and on each occasion I expected that no further work would be needed. However, as you can see, this is not the case. The engineers informed me that this is a common problem and, indeed, that the model is "notorious" for the problems experienced.

To say that I am disappointed is to understate the matter. I have used Comet numerous times in the past and have found your products to be reliable. I purchased this TV as I believed it to be, as was stated by the salesman, of high quality.

I wish to draw your attention to the Sale of Gods Act 1979, specifically s. 14 which requires that products be of reasonable quality and durability and fit for purpose. I think you will agree that, in my case, this has not been fulfilled.

You will appreciate that, given the money I have paid for the product as well as the additional insurance, that I would expect the high quality of care for which you are known [dont laugh] to be provided. Given that the TV has been repaired three times already, and bearing in mind the assurances given by your salesman and the comments made by the engineers, I now expect a replacement TV of a similar specification to what I have.

I trust that you will understand my disappointment and will avoid the need for my having to seek legal recourse. I therefore look forward to hearing your agreement that, on this occasion, your high standards have not yet been met and that you will agree to the replacement.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours etc etc

The bits in parenthesis are instructions to add / amend your own details. I've typed this out during the footy and am a bit tipsy so check for typos etc.

Send it off recorded delivery and include copies of receipts if poss (NOT ORIGINALS).

Please keep us updated and let us know of the response. If they disagree we'll see what they say and take it from there.

I would just like to say a huge thank you to you both for kindly taking the time to help! It was very kind of you both and it is VERY much appreciated ;):D

Have sent the letter off.... shall let you know when I have a reply.................................

Gyzmo, I have pm'd you but your box is full...... obviously very popular!