3 charging for data I'm not using

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just checked my usage on my three account and noticed that there is some internet usage being charged for.

Except I dont use the internet on the phone!

i do occasionally look at the "free to browse" bit and also the results of a Google search but not the actual page itself. There is also supposed to be a message stating whether one is moving into a chargeable area or not and asking if you want to proceed.

I have yet to see such a message. The only other thing I use is Google Maps but I have the internet / data transfer etc disabled on that.

Any techy people know about this?

Needless to say I am fuming and in the absence of a reasonable and justifiable explanation Three will soon regret having me as a customer.

Hi Gyzmo

I am a little confused! you say you dont use internet on your phone, yet in next para you say you use Google search and also Google maps - both are mobile internet usage and charged per kb unless covered with an inclusive bundle.

Also, if data transfer was disabled, you wouldnt be able to view the maps!

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

Three have a free use area which I believe is what Gyz is talking about. I use them myself.

They tried to charge one of my account with a football service a few months back - I phoned to complain that I have never requested this and after a little bit of a heated discussion, they agreed to remove the charges.

I hope you can get the same response Gyzmo.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Apologies - I do mean that I do use the free-to-browse bit but not anything chargeable. Should have made that clearer!

As for the maps, I have been assured that viewing the map itself is free of charge - its downloaded onto the phone already. I dont use, for example, route finder or directions thing.

Hi again

In that case, if you think you are on the 'free to use' portal and the maps are already on the phone (they dont have 'updates' on them by any chance like road closures or anything? because that would mean you are actually getting a live update each time you load one!)

3 shoul dbe able to look at an itemisation and tell you roughly the times and amount of data transferred/connection etc. it may then help to discover where the charges are coming from.

1 last thing to check - you dont have your phone set to check for emails or anything? that can literally be 1p a time, but if doing it every 10 mins all day every day, it soon mounts up!!

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

nothing like that. A stiff letter is on its way to hutchinson.

Can never understand why a simple investigative phone call to find out what/why is happening is so difficultor hard work for consumers nowadays. It seems 'stiff' letters or call on the attack are the norm now. Shame, because thats what makes Customer Service so difficult!

Just my opinion, and hope nobody takes offence!!

You tried discussing anything of a complex nature with 3's CS?

Unless it is a recipe for a chicken balti you aren't likely to get anywhere and even then you will struggle

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

• 3 weeks later...

i am with 3 and have google maps on my phone, i get no warning about the charge as its a self run program. However you can go into setting and remove its Internet access, of course when i did that i would not load. If all the maps where stored on the phone you must have one hell of a memory card...

Can never understand why a simple investigative phone call to find out what/why is happening is so difficultor hard work for consumers nowadays. It seems 'stiff' letters or call on the attack are the norm now. Shame, because thats what makes Customer Service so difficult!

Just my opinion, and hope nobody takes offence!!

I did call them and, as suggested by davethorp, I might have well spoken to a 2 year old about quantum physics. The operator kept saying "you get a warning message" even when I told her that there was none appearing. My letters are used when simple conversation yields nothing.

• 1 month later...

Just got a phone call off 3 regarding my recent letter (sent nearly 8 weeks ago...) and after much debating they've agreed to a "one off" refund of a fiver. Why it is a one-off, when the rep agreed with me that I should not have been chargd I don't know. But I'm satisfied!

Gyzmo is still undefeated (besides the credit card but that's not mine anyway!)