'Four Corners'

Fred Bassett
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From various threads on here I have read that for a credit agreement to be legally enforceable, among other things, the prescribed terms MUST be within the signature document to be valid, having them on a seperate sheet headed T&C or similar ISN'T acceptable and that this has been further refined to mean: " ....certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement."

Is there something definitive that shows what this actually means? For instance, can this include a document which is printed on both sides?

As a practical example, I have copies of agreement over 2 A4 sheets, but I have no way of knowing if this is actually 2 separate sheets or one sheet printed front and back. I presume this would make a difference because if a document is printed on both sides it still only has four corners.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Eeee Fred, how long you been on CAG? :D

Perhaps you need to go and do some homework :p

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/103383-agreement-enforceability.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/105315-my-agreement-enforceable-useful.html

Either that or just post it up and ask the experts ;)

Think this one has got missed by being in the "General" forum.

Your mate Bo :p

Edited by Brassed off
Just giving Fred some more homework lol

Eeee Fred, how long you been on CAG? :D

Perhaps you need to go and do some homework :p

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/103383-agreement-enforceability.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/105315-my-agreement-enforceable-useful.html

Either that or just post it up and ask the experts ;)

Think this one has got missed by being in the "General" forum.

Your mate Bo :p

Thanks BO, you know what it's like - I've subscribed to about 200 threads but I can never find the one I want when I need it. I still can't find anything in the post you sent me about 'four corners' though.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

The way I read this is when the signature appears at the END of the document, no matter how many pages it is, so you have to at least pass the T&C's to sign the agreement.

I believe that a double sided agreement with signature on one side and T&C's printed on the reverse would also be applicable, but sperate T&C's with no reference between the two is wholly UNacceptable.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

The way I read this is when the signature appears at the END of the document, no matter how many pages it is, so you have to at least pass the T&C's to sign the agreement.

I believe that a double sided agreement with signature on one side and T&C's printed on the reverse would also be applicable, but sperate T&C's with no reference between the two is wholly UNacceptable.

Thanks Curlyben, I think that has just answered my question.

Regards.

Fred

Thanks BO, you know what it's like - I've subscribed to about 200 threads but I can never find the one I want when I need it. I still can't find anything in the post you sent me about 'four corners' though.

Regards.

Fred

Yep, I do know what it's like, I did trawl through all my CAG info but couldn't find it either :D

You're back then - Clevercloggs :p

For those reading this that are unsure what Fred is referring to:

This is taken from another thread;

Under SI 1983/1553 the prescribed terms MUST be within the signature document to be valid, having them on a seperate sheet headed T&C or similar ISN'T acceptable.

SI 1983/1553 (6 Signing of agreement) which states that the prescribed terms MUST be within the signature document. (Column 2 schedule 6)
This applies to all agreements pre May 2005.

So basically this is unenforceable, under 127(3).

Just to add to my comments re terms witin signature doc.

This was covered off in Wilson and another v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299

Schedule 1 to the 1983 Regulations sets out the "information to be contained in documents embodying regulated consumer credit agreements". Some of this information mirrors the terms prescribed by Sch 6, but some does not. Contrasting the provisions of the two schedules the Judge said

33 In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under s 61 that all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127(3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated.

As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1.

SI 1983/1553 (6 Signing of agreement) which states that the prescribed terms MUST be within the signature document.

so application forms with no prescribed terms within the 'four corners' of the signature page are not valid agreements, as they make them out to be?

basically or absolutely, because many of us on here only get an application form with no prescribed terms, and a separate terms and conditions document or it's on the other side?

the DCAs and the banks insist that this is a valid credit agreement, so is SI 1983/1553 and Wilson and another v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299 s.33 the absolute answer to this, so that they can say no more?

What the Banks/DCA's say verses Statute Law and Law Lords precedent.

Hmm I wonder.

I know, i just want you to say YES, for many of the 'newer' members here

Then we can all tell the DCA/bank that Curlyben told us so ...:cool:

hi, great thread ! So the new legislation's corrected this loophole ? To days agreements/application forms have separate terms and conditions.

So for example I have a application form dated 2005 that is signed on the first page . The terms and conditions are not on the back of the form but in a separate leaflet. Is it that the terms and conditions should be positioned before any signature box , therefore saying these terms and conditions must be read before a document is signed ?

"Four Corners" applies to ALL pre May 2005 agreements.

After that enclosed T&C are acceptable as long as they are from the time of the account opening.

• Haha 1

I wonder if I could ask contributors to this thread to have a look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/152498-response-trading-standards-re.html#post1619787

The above arguments are the very same I have used in my complaint to Trading Standards re Barclaycard. OH's account was opened in 1999. TS have responded with quite a lot of case law, which I suspect that B/Card might be intending to use.

Of course it could be totally irrelevant to this thread in which case, I have no objections to my post being removed. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CitB it is but no matter, good to have that link as well.

Thank you. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D