15 year old sons details lost by abbey

Blysie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for an account for my son with abbey they sent my sons details to a total stranger who rang me to tell me he had recd them over a week ago and would return them to me. I rang abbey to complain about the fact they had sent my 15 yr old sons details to a protential fraudster for all i knew they told me they would get back to me recd letter this morning standard buy themselves time response. Last night i recd phone call from father of boy who recd my sons details he told me he had not sent them back to us or abbey because it is proof of wrong doing on abbeys behalf and he want to keep them till this issue is resolved his son's details are still missing, abbey had given him the impression I had recd them in place of my sons i havent which could mean their is now a third party involved. This is total unacceptable can abbey get in trouble for such a breach of data protection? I also feel uncomfortable with this man keeping my sons personal details but understand why he wants to. Please advice me if you can.

I shouldn't worry about your sons details being held by this man, he was honest enough to contact you, and if he wanted to use them for any malicious purpose, then he would have copied them and posted them on to you.

I shouldn't worry about your sons details being held by this man, he was honest enough to contact you, and if he wanted to use them for any malicious purpose, then he would have copied them and posted them on to you.

Conniff, can you say for 100% sure that this man will NOT use the details? Do you know this man, do you know how he thinks?

Unless you know for an absolute certainty that this person will not use the details for anything, then you can't tell someone not to worry, it isn't your son, as any parent would do, is worry about the safety of a child and that childs information.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Of course I can't, but why should she worry, it's too late to do anything about it even if he does intend to use them for malicious purposes, so why bother worrying about something you have absolutely no control over.

Conniff,

For you that might be the case, you may not be a parent and therefore not understand the worry a parent has about the safety of a child, regardless if you control the situation or not. It is just thought of someone else having the details that may worry some.

Thanks

- Hobbie

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Of course I'm a parent, and understand full well the concerns expressed. My sole purpose was to try and allay what are probably unwarranted fears, afterall, how many people who engage in identity theft do you know that telephone their victims so forewarning them.

I applied for an account for my son with abbey they sent my sons details to a total stranger who rang me to tell me he had recd them over a week ago and would return them to me. I rang abbey to complain about the fact they had sent my 15 yr old sons details to a protential fraudster for all i knew they told me they would get back to me recd letter this morning standard buy themselves time response. Last night i recd phone call from father of boy who recd my sons details he told me he had not sent them back to us or abbey because it is proof of wrong doing on abbeys behalf and he want to keep them till this issue is resolved his son's details are still missing, abbey had given him the impression I had recd them in place of my sons i havent which could mean their is now a third party involved. This is total unacceptable can abbey get in trouble for such a breach of data protection? I also feel uncomfortable with this man keeping my sons personal details but understand why he wants to. Please advice me if you can.

Yes they can. Report them to the Information Commisioner's Office here.

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Just a quick question Abbey/shabby have offered me £100.00 but still have not secured the return of my sons details from other parent, I refused because complaint has not been concluded in a satisfactory manner. The woman I spoke to was quite rude and had the cheek to tell me I would not get another offer, these from the people who lost my sons details. What do you think is a reasonable amount of compo? I was told by the woman that is dealing with my complaint that all she can do is refer it down the line because no one could possible be held responsible due to it being mainly a computer automated service. I sent this lady off with a flea in her ear and am now waiting for shabs written response stating offer of £100.00 ect also preparing for next lot of letter to the FSA. I have already reported them to the ICO.

Compensation shouldn't be the issue; reporting them to the FSA and getting them punished is your main priority. Anything more than a written apology and evidence of rectification is a plus, not an expectation.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Getting them punished is near impossible the FSA have a back log of complaints.

My main priorty is the return of my sons details.

I did not ask for compensation Abbey offered it when they had not even bothered to track down the other parent and get my son details returned.

I believe each to their own and as I see it all Abbey care about is money so I feel no way about expecting and wanting compensation since that is how they deal with complaints by making cheap offers of goodwill gestures while the main issue's raised is still unresolved.

I was insulted that Abbey offer my SON £100.00 yet my son's details still remained with the other parent and the women investigating my complaint did not even know all the details or facts concerning my complaint.

I will and do expect more than rectification and an apology and I feel fine about taking Abbeys money they f***ed up not me..

What do you think is a reasonable amount of compo?

No amount of compensation is reasonable, as money doesn't undo the mistake, and what will the compensation offer you, will it change the fact that the details was sent to the wrong person?

What financial loss have you suffered? (You didn't lose the details so you really haven't suffered a loss)

Any compensation ordered / awarded should go in to preventing this from happening again and not to someone to spend on a holiday or new car, as in my opinion the whole 'compo' culture has got out of control, someone sneezing in the same room and the first thing people ask "How much compo you think i'll get?" I've said the same thing several times before, and at the end of the day accidents happen, after all we're only human and no one is perfect, albeit some of these accidents shouldn't happen and can be prevented, but people shouldn't go on a witchhunt for compensation, unless they've lost out financially, and from what I understand, no one has lost out.

Thanks

- Hobbie

My phone company charge me for calls and the last time I sent a letter it wasnt free if I remember correctly.

I understand your point but at the end of the day how I deal with this is down to me, I did not ask Abbey to send my sons details to a total stranger so as I could claim compensation all i wanted was my sons details returned asap not rude phone calls 2 months after the incident.

Abbey also lead the other parent to believe I had his sons details which lead to two very heated phone calls between us. I never received them yet they said I had with out even checking if this was a fact or not.

Please do not think I am justifying myself because I am not like I said each to their own.

Letter = £5.00

Telephone Call = £5.00

Time = £20.00

Total = £30.00

They've offered £100.00 and you knocked it back, so are you in it just for the money or are you in it to prevent it from happening again?

Why not whilst you on a money grabbing spreee sell your story to the media, you might end up earning yourself a little fortune, all because someone made a mistake, just as humans do...

I agree it is up to you on how you proceed and deal with it, but I'm just giving my views on the matter. What ever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll be happy with and thats what counts. :)

• Haha 1

Thanks

- Hobbie

A reasonable amount of compensation is that which covers your financial loss. There are no punitive damages in this case(i.e. justification for compensation for non-financial losses), and so I agree with Hobbie absolutely - £30 would be more than fair for me.

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hobbie no reason to get so up tight or personal, I was extremely upset at the time, Why bother keep replying to my post just to express outrage, is that how you get your kicks. I did not appreciate your assumption I was on a money grabbing spree, I deal with people who have had their ID stolen and it is not pleasant. Please dont bother reply your wasting your time and mine again Thanks but no Thanks..

Hobbie no reason to get so up tight or personal, I was extremely upset at the time, Why bother keep replying to my post just to express outrage, is that how you get your kicks. I did not appreciate your assumption I was on a money grabbing spree, I deal with people who have had their ID stolen and it is not pleasant. Please dont bother reply your wasting your time and mine again Thanks but no Thanks..

Blysie,

First of all, I was not getting "Personal" - and Secondly I get no "Kicks" what so ever out of this or any other forums, but since you posted to a public forum open to debate and opinion, that I gave, my opinion on the facts of the matter.

It was and is seen in "MY" opinion that you are on a money grabing spree, the Abbey had offered what I consider to be a truely acceptable offer of £100.00 yet you found it not enough so turned it down, when in fact from how you have elaborated on the events, £100.00 is more than enough to cover your "costs" since you lost nothing, nor has your son, so why try and get more?

And as for "please dont bother replying" that is for me to decide since again this is a public forum, and unless the moderators decide my posts are not acceptable then I'm entitled to do so.

It is still in my opinion you are on a money grabbing exercise, and out to milk the abbey for as much as you can.

Until such a point the moderators feels my posts unacceptable, then I will continue to post.

If you wanted a like minded opinion maybe you shouldn't of posted to a public forum which is open to debate.

And one final thing, I've had my ID stolen to a value of over £70K so I know exactly how it feels (And I am willing to prove it too by means of letters and other documents), and no it isn't nice, but it isn't the banks nor your fault, so why go looking for blame or is it a case of looking for £££'s ?

Edited by Hobbie
Lots of grammar mistakes :)

Thanks

- Hobbie

Agree with Hobbie Bylsie, and may I add that that really is no attitude to take simply because someone's opinion has differed to yours on a PUBLIC forum.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Bylsie,

If you can justify why the Abbey should pay you more than the £100.00 previously offered, and I mean justify in the detail as if you would have to in a court, outlining what costs you have incurred and why you feel you should receive more than £100.00, then I will truly withdraw my previous comments and appoligise, but until then I stand by my comment.

Because as of this time, I can not seriously see what you have lost or what financial loses you have incurred because of this "administrative mishap" as you can not claim "It MAY fall into the wrong hands" and no matter how clever you think you are, you can not see in to the future, although if you you can then please let me know.

Have you waited for something like this to come along so that you can try and butcher them? If so, then Im sorry to say you need to look again, I seriously doubt you have any claim against the Abbey, and even if you report them to the Information Commissioners Office, maybe, and a big maybe they'll get fined, and any fine Abbey do receive you'll not see a penny of anyway.

So what ARE YOU aiming to get out of them? What is it your looking for as you have yet to say, only that you think £100.00 is not enough so you refused it.

Edited by Hobbie

Thanks

- Hobbie

I'm not too sure why this discussion is deteriorating into this acrimony.

Please stop or the thread will be closed.

There are two issues here. The matter of compensation, recovering the materials to its rightful owner and complaining appropriately - so that's 3 issues.

What I haven't see here is what is the information which has gone missing. Are we talking about important valuable documents such as birth certificates? Or are we talking about a photocopy of some application form.

Do you have the details of the recipient of this data? Has anyone made any mention of obtaining their return?

What is your son's status with the bank? Is he a customer?

What if any action has the recipient so far taken on this matter.

To whom have you made complaints so far and please can you bring us up to date on the position.

My son's Full BirthCert

Our Address

Phone number: His Mobile and Home

Savers bank account details

New acc details.

I have now recd original documents back from other customer a good 3/4 weeks after he recd them. This man took photo copies of these documents and this weekend he told me he has shredded them.

My son's savers acc is with Abbey and new acc which we were opening but no longer want.

Abbey took over 6 weeks to deal with complaint but by then I had original docs back because I had threatened to call in the police but not photo copies.

I have complained to Information Commissioners and the FSA.

Recd standard receipt from INFO COM

Have recd letter from abbey with offer of £100.00 not yet posted but signed due to son's wishes. Do not really know were to go from here. I am not on a money making spree just so annoyed abbey did not seen too concerned about my son's lost details I had to get my sons details back myself.

Edited by Blysie