15 year old sons details lost by abbey

Blysie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Because theres nothing to reply to...?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

What does your son want you do?

Have all the issues been rectified?

Have you received the documents back(originals)?

Have you made a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office?

Is £100 a reasonable offer and if not what would you think is a reasonable offer of compensation?

Has the bank actually sent a written apology?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Why is no one replying???????????????????

Because we are very busy.

Let's look at the technicalities and then lets look realistically at what you can expect.

The Abbey have acted negligently, in breach of confidence, and probably in breach of the banking code.

The other guy who hung onto your data and photocopied it was acting in breach of confidence. He was also being very stupid when if he acted differently he could have recruited you as a friend and you could have joined forces in this to very much greater effect.

What have you lost? Has it caused you any distress? This is important to know.

How much time has it taken you to sort out - writing, preparing, phoning etc.

How much have you actually spent - phone calls, other materials?

Although there are a number of avenues open to you, some are not worth pursuing. Suing some fool for breach of confidence is not worth it. The action is complicated and you haven't really suffered a great loss as a result of his breach.

Suing the Abbey in negligence isn't worth it as you have the DPA to sue under instead. It is only worth doing if you feel that you have lost enough to make it worthwhile. This has to be more than £100 because this is what they have offered you .

You feel angry - and I think that you are right to be so. Complaining to the IC is a good idea as it is free and causes problems for Abbey. Same goes for the FOS but decide first if you will sue them under the DPA as you won't be able to do both.

Suing under the DPA will take a little more trouble but it sholdn't be expensive to start on the small claims track.

But it all depends on what you have lost. If you feel that you and your family have suffered distress then you need to be sure that you can describe it fully and convincingly and rationally.

Take the £100.00, take your sons banking else where and let your son move on with the rest of his life.

If one thing you've learnt is... Never trust the Abbey.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Even if you walk into a High Street Bank, they will take copies of the appropriate documents. These documents will eventually disappear into the abyss, but will also be held electronically, regardless of the name of the Bank.

I am planning a mass 'recall' of my information from many Corporates, together with a request for evidence that such data has been destroyed or deleted, unless it is necessary for them to process it.