Car Tax

misf1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a small hatchback with a 2 ltre engine. built in 2001. It always passes its emissions test no problem. Because the car is very small and very light (half the body is made out of plastic) it uses no more petrol than my old car a 1.3i mid size heavier car. My point is I pay the same amount of car tax as a huge 4x4. But some 4x4's because they are older pay less than me. a freind of mine has a K reg 3litre engine car and pays a lot less then me because the car is older. I really don't understand how this can be fair. Before you all say get a smaller engine car I will be but I just wanted to point out the unfairness of the car tax system. I pay for 6months tax what some people pay for a year and they have a much larger car, worse emissions etc. The system is not fair, I know by the time my tax is due again it will have gone up even more. in the two years I have owned this car i have paid the car tax every 6 months and it has gone up every time I have never paid the same ammount twice, but the tax on my old 1.3i went down in price. Surely the government can think of a better and fairer way.

Well, seeing as GB has never learned to drive and has always been driven around by someone else, and has never had to fill a car with petrol or fight the DVLA just to put tax on the thing, I don't suppose he cares about the 'fairness' of it - just so long as he can carry on milking us for all we are worth.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Its because your car was built in 2001, as thats when the road tax was changed to be based on emissions.

I would be in the same boat as you with my present car if it fell under the new road tax scheme, luckily it doesn't. But it is making me seriously look at what my next car will be.

cm

• 2 weeks later...

my neighbour has an old car which he uses daily, the tax expired 11/07 and according to another website he also runs without insurance.

his tax is cheaper than mine although my car is the same CC but newer :mad: - i've reported it 4 times on the dvla website and nothing has been done - why do the rest of us pay tax/ insurance when **** like this get away without paying :mad:

All cars registered from the 1st March 2001 onwards are rated according to their CO2 emissions. All cars registered before that date are taxed according to their engine size. If the engine size is up to 1549cc they pay the lower rate (£120) and all cars 1550 and above pay the higher rate (£185).

I don't know where the OP has got his facts about the owner of the K reg 4 x 4 paying less but you can see all the rates here:-

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

im lucky with my car tax it only costs me £35 a year :D due to the emmissions, last year i got rid of my 2003 ford focus which cost over £100 to tax just for 6 months yet other ford focus's of the same age paid less tax which i never understood

All cars registered from the 1st March 2001 onwards are rated according to their CO2 emissions. All cars registered before that date are taxed according to their engine size. If the engine size is up to 1549cc they pay the lower rate (£120) and all cars 1550 and above pay the higher rate (£185).

I don't know where the OP has got his facts about the owner of the K reg 4 x 4 paying less but you can see all the rates here:-

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

my dad has a 2l mondeo and his road tax is cheaper than some of the newer large engine cars the new prices only apply to cars registered after 2001 doesnt matter about the size before that there were just set rates

This 28 tonne artic pays only £175 tax/year.

Covering over 100,000 miles a year at only 9mpg!

What is the impact of this vehicle compared to a family car covering 10,000 miles a year at 25 mpg?

daf_argos.jpg

Where did you get that information from? According to DVLA's Vehicle Enquiry HX51 SKE pays £1500 a year VED.