"If this loan is a first Mortgage" terminology question pls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an agreement document which states:

" If this loan is going to be a first mortgage, you ask and authorise us to use part of the loan facility quoted above to repay any existing mortgage or charge on the property"

Now, please think carefully before answering this, the devils in the precise detail.

I need an interpretation of the words "First mortgage"

This is a 2nd charge loan and nothing to do with the 1st charge head mortgage.

it says on the agreement document "If this loan is going to be a first mortgage" well it wasn't, so does that change the authority to pay another 2nd charged loan in existence when I took out the loan - or can it be seen as an authority to do so. It's a document we signed. Forget about whether all loan companies do need a clear charge so they clear the loan that is not the issue, I've got that covered already - I just need someones interpretation of the quotes above.

Thanks

I would interpret that as they can only use part of the loan money to pay off any existing charges on the property, if the loan you are taking out is the first mortgage.

If it's a second mortgage then no, I would say that they can't :)

• Haha 1

Mr & Mrs Ananya's story so far -

Welcome Finance - account closed - no CCA - 02/07 - £1500

NatWest - settled in full 09/06 - £600

NatWest - settled in full 06/07 - £72

Verso - Settled in full 07/08 - £2002

C.K. Edrupt/Provident - account closed - no CCA - 04/07 - £640

Littlewoods/Shop Direct - 2 accounts closed - Statute Barred - 04/10 - £800

D.C.A.s who've given up so far -10

"First mortgage" means 1st charge on property.

As you say it is a "2nd charge loan" it could still be covered by increasing the existing mortgage. It all depends what was in the mortgage paperwork and on the deeds immediately prior to requesting this loan. To be covered by the existing mortgage arrangement there will some words like "any further advance" in both the paperwork and deeds pre loan.

Remembering your CCA v mortgage discussion, I found an article relating to changes effective from April 2008, it was written in May 07 so the upset lenders may have since encouraged DTI to change the legislation to their favour.

Consumer Credit Act 2006 – concerns for mortgage lenders - MFG :: Legal - Mortgage Finance Gazette UK

• Haha 1

Hey, thanks Aktiv, this is not a further advance but a separate loan company - similar argument to the other you refer to but a totally separate company. Thanks for the link.