Brighthouse wont let me cancel - someone please give me advice?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a acer computer with Brighthouse with 66 weeks to pay and a monitor with 25 weeks to pay.

My grandad bought me a new pc as Im at uni and cant afford it anymore and Brighthouse are saying as I dont have optional service cover I can't cancel?

How is this legal or fair and is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your help

Steve

Brighthouse usually sell their items as part of a Hire-Purchase agreement. *If* yours is a HP agreement you will have a right to exercise a right to voluntarily terminate the agreement - Providing you have not defaulted on the agreement.

This would mean you can hand the goods back and limit your liability to 50% of the finance payments, if you've paid more than 50% of the finance you would have nothing else to pay, if you've not paid the 50% you can still terminate but you would be liable for payment to bring it up to the 50% marker.

You can read a bit more about HP agremeents here:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 16 How To Deal With Hire Purchase Debt

Hi guys, I have a acer computer with Brighthouse with 66 weeks to pay and a monitor with 25 weeks to pay.

My grandad bought me a new pc as Im at uni and cant afford it anymore and Brighthouse are saying as I dont have optional service cover I can't cancel?

How is this legal or fair and is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your help

Steve

Hi Steve.

My guess the agreement for your (Brighthouse) PC would have been over 104 weeks - as would the monitor, perhaps you took them out at different times?

Sequenci is absolutely correct in what she says. You can return both items without financial penalty if you have paid 50% of the agreement off.

You were wise not to take their "optional service cover". :)

If you don't have one (or have lost it), request a copy of your agreement(s) and it will CLEARLY state the figure after which you can return the goods.

Don't take any nonesense off them. The law is very clear.

Any problems get back to us.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)