Age Discimination - Passports

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I've not posted much on here for a long time (since my victory over the Halifax!) but I have a right bee in my bonnet at the moment and thought this might be the right place to vent/get advice :cool:

My kids have passports which expired late last year and I was under the impression that as they were only issued with 5yr passports they would get a 5yr extention.

Anyhow I just called the passport office to clarify whether it was a problem that their passports expired last year only to be told that they only issue them for 5 years and that is why they are cheaper than an adult one - fair enough so far...

The cost of an adult 10yr passport is £72 and the cost of a child 5yr passport is £46 - in effect £92 for a 10yr one!

Is this age discrimination or am I just being a tight a**e :p

Any suggestions on where I could take it if it is discrimination?

Thanks

Are they offering an adult 5 year passport at a different price, then I'd say you have an argument. As it is, kids appearances change rapidly hence 5 years only.

20 quid difference for an extra passport inc administration seems fair.

You used to be able to have the 5 year one extended for free when you turned 16 as long as the passport hadn't expired.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Are they offering an adult 5 year passport at a different price, then I'd say you have an argument. As it is, kids appearances change rapidly hence 5 years only.

20 quid difference for an extra passport inc administration seems fair.

They don't offer a 5yr adult passport maybe they should then everyone is on an equal footing?

You used to be able to have the 5 year one extended for free when you turned 16 as long as the passport hadn't expired.

Apparently it changed a few years ago. It could be extended if the child was under 16, if they were over then an adult passport had to be purchased.