More Fuel Economy? Redex??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wanted to know, is REDEX actually good for the car? I hava diesal n since I have had it from new the fuel economy has reduced i have been servicing it regulary. Any good suggestion to increase fuel economy on my GOLF MK5.

I assume your asking about the additive that goes into the fuel tank.

One of the biggest reasons for increased fuel consumption is the clogging of the spray nozzle on the injector. If the spray turns to a jet or dribble then the burn will not produce as much expansion in the combustion chamber to give you the same power per measured 'squirt', that means you are putting your foot just that bit harder on the pedal to get the same speed.

The cleaners are designed to remove this deposit and unblock the spray nozzle. It might take more than one treatment though depending on the degree of blockage.

Stick to someone like Redex who have a good research laboratory and are a very old company with a very good reputation. They are not cheap, but a lot cheaper than having the injectors taken out and cleaned.

Be nice if you come back in a few months and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Redex regularly (petrol).

Wilkinsons regularly offer 100% extra free bottles of Redex. The offer rolls round every 2 months or so.

There might not be any link but I used redex with every tank and I pushed my car to the limit over 34,000 miles in 14 months and I did not have a single problem.

For those of you wondering it was a 2002 MG ZS 1.8

Like I said, maybe no link but I always use it.

Taking back my financial freedom starting today!

Barclays Bank : £3200 in charges : On hold

Capital one :

CCA 03/03/08

SAR 03/03/08

GE Burton card :

CCA 03/03/08

SAR 03/03/08

Welcome Finance HP Car :

CCA 03/03/08

SAR 03/03/08

Welcome Finance Loan :

CCA 03/03/08

SAR 03/03/08

Littlewoods :

CCA 03/03/08

SAR 03/03/08

Be careful using additives in modern diesel engines. Some of the later VHP (Very High Pressure System) are sensitive to what you run through them. In fact most manufacturers nowaday's state quite specifically in the handbooks that additives must not be used (Not that anybody bothers reading the handbook).

So if you use an additive and it damages a very expensive pump or set of injectors then it's down to you. I can just imagine the thread on CAG:-

"Car under warranty, dealer won't replace injection pump". Car won't start, needs new pump, they say no to warranty because of signs of contanination. Customer comes on here slating manufactuer, dealer and staff.

Someone else posts "call in Trading Standards, Consumer Direct and the FBI", someone else quotes SOG Act 1865 blah, blah and all manner of fire and brimstone is directed at Dealer.

Customer, of course, knows they put Redex or whatever in it and says nowt.

I know, I've had recent, personal, experience of this and I was on the receiving end. I showed the customer the evidence and he paid up in the end vowing never to deal with me or relevant manufacturer again.

Don't you just love customers!!!!!!

Hammy

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

Be careful using additives in modern diesel engines. Some of the later VHP (Very High Pressure Pump) are sensitive to what you run through them. In fact most manufacturers nowaday's state quite specifically in the handbooks that additives must not be used (Not that anybody bothers reading the handbook).

So if you use an additive and it damages a very expensive pump or set of injectors then it's down to you. I can just imagine the thread on CAG:-

"Car under warranty, dealer won't replace pump". It won't start, needs new pump, they say no to warranty because of signs of contanination. Customer comes on here slating manufactuer, dealer and staff.

Someone else posts "call in Trading Standards, Consumer Direct and the FBI", someone else quotes SOG Act 1865 and all manner of fire and brimstone is directed at Dealer.

Customer of course knows they put Redex or whatever in it and says nowt.

I know, I've had recent, personal, experience of this and I was on the receiving end. I showed the customer the evidence and he paid up in the end vowing never to deal with me or relevant manufacturer again.

Don't you just love customers!!!!!!

Hammy

Yes but the customer is always right Hammy - LOL:-|