Excel Parking..outside NOW!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wife received a "NOTICE TO OWNER OF INTENT TO ISSUE COURT PROCEEDINGS" from Excel.

She's not the owner as the car is a lease car and she is not the driver (that would be me).

This is the first correspondence that she has received and it states that "YOU HAVE LOST THE RIGHT TO APPEAL" and amount of claim £100.00

It also states that "Liability for the pcn charge lies with you the owner/keeper/driver/hirer"

I have read the stickys but am unsure of the best way to approach this.

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Wife received a "NOTICE TO OWNER OF INTENT TO ISSUE COURT PROCEEDINGS" from Excel.

She's not the owner as the car is a lease car and she is not the driver (that would be me).

This is the first correspondence that she has received and it states that "YOU HAVE LOST THE RIGHT TO APPEAL" and amount of claim £100.00

It also states that "Liability for the pcn charge lies with you the owner/keeper/driver/hirer"

I have read the stickys but am unsure of the best way to approach this.

Firstly don't panic - this is a notice on an intent to issue court proceedings and not an actual official document.

I am going to make an assumption and presume that your wife is either the registered keeper of the vehicle or that the lease company as the registered keeper of vehicle forwarded it on to you or supplied your address.

Using the template letters in the stickies, Your wife should write back acknowledging their letter. She should state that she is the lease holder on the vehicle. But as such neither she nor the lease company are responsible for the debt. Include the paragraph from the templates asking them to back this claim with the necessary statute. Ask them to contact the driver on that day.

Remember your wife is under no legal obligation to name the driver.

One other thing some lease companies will pass on these "fines" with an administration charge. You probably should check that they haven't done this case. Most contracts include provision for tickets with the backing of statute (i.e Penalty Charge Notices, Fixed Penalty Notices) not private tickets. Some companies even pay these "fines" on your behalf. Make sure if there are such terms in your wife's lease that she advises the lease firm that this is a civil notice that you are disputing and they should not pay on your behalf or charge you for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember your wife is under no legal obligation to name the driver.

Fixed the typo for you. :)

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent them the template letter.

Received a response today -

"May we point out that the onus is on you as the registered owner of the vehicle to prove that you were not driving the vehicle on the day in question"

"Failure to supply this proof could result in either debt collectors being instructed or legal proceedings being issued in the County Court to recover the monies due"

For some reason they keep referring to my wife as the registered owner when infact she is the registered keeper.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Suggest that you write and request for details of the Statute and or Case Law which dictates that the RK is responsible for contractual agreements which may or may not have been entered into by the driver.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Sent them the template letter.

Received a response today -

"May we point out that the onus is on you as the registered owner of the vehicle to prove that you were not driving the vehicle on the day in question"

"Failure to supply this proof could result in either debt collectors being instructed or legal proceedings being issued in the County Court to recover the monies due"

For some reason they keep referring to my wife as the registered owner when infact she is the registered keeper.

Absolute cr*p!. Its completely the opposite: Excel have to prove who was driving and you have no obligation to tell them. They are well aware of this and are just trying the usual scare tactics.

If they don't know who the driver is, they can't even start a court case or instruct a DCA (who have no powers anyway)

Excel are a big company - they must have had legal advice at some stage telling them that the Road Traffic Act 1991 does not apply to private companies yet they continue to claim that the "registered owner" [sic] is responsible.

Making statements that are known to be untrue for reasons of financial is fraudulant.

Pity our Police are so crap!

As other have said absolute crap. I would use the template letters. Point out there is no such thing as the registered owner only the registered keeper. Also point out the onus of proof is on them as this is a civil case. Ask them to provide statute or case law that proves their claim.

This is a demonstrably false statement and is threatening to say the least. IMO it constitutes an offense under Section 40 of Administration of Justice Act. You might want to include a paragraph pointing this out to them and that should they persist with this line that you will consider reporting them to the police, OFT and Trading Standards.

As they are now making threats I would issue them with a cease and desist letter.

• Haha 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pin1onu, Thanks for that

Debt Collection Charges