Could I be entitled to benefits?

Joe Blow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am under 25, my girlfriend is a full time student with the bog standard loans.

I am self employed and earn less than £800 a month. Our rent is £220 a week. Council tax is £138 a month (which I pay as we got a reduction due to my partner being a student)

Obviously we have gas/elec on top of this etc as well as food.

So can anyone offer advice on what I could do regarding to benefits to help survive a bit better?

Edited by Joe Blow
Info not needed

At a first glance I would say apply for Working Tax Credit and possibly for Incapacity Benefit or even Disability Living Allowance. You can also try for Housing Benefit. Your partner's income of Student Loan would be taken into consideration when calculating HB.

You must read up before applying for disability/sickness benefits- please have a look t the sticky post with useful links. Other benefits are number-crunching, but disability/sickness benefits need more personal, subjective info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the moment, you have no entitlement to Working Tax Credits because of your age.

If you feel your disability has a significant affect on you, take a look at the criteria for Disability Living Allowance and make an application. If you are considering this I would join 'Benefits and Work' (Google it) for help with the application.

If DLA was awarded, you could then claim Working Tax Credits. Based on your income, this would likely be for around £60 a week.

I would strongly advise you do not claim Incapacity Benefit, it will do nothing but worsen your depression!

Davjoh

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

I would strongly advise you do not claim Incapacity Benefit, it will do nothing but worsen your depression!

Davjoh

How true, but with help of experienced adviser, can be bearable.

Wouldn't wish to put off anyone from claiming IB but this is definitely one of the jobs that you may need help with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought disabled people over 16 who worked 16 hours or more could claim a type of tax credit?

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Sorry, as i understood it you just had to have one of the disabilities on the list that came with the WTC form to be eligable, it didn't occur to me until now that reciept of a disability benefit would be the proof of having the disability that you would send away with the form.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)