Water rates deduction from benefit

jadzia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone please advise as to wether there is a maximum amount that can be deducted from your benefit each week if you owe on a utility bill?,my sister is on dla and gets £10 a week taken out for the water bill she owes,is this a fair amount?i only ask because i know that they can only take a measly amount for council tax,which i thought would take priority!

Intresting one. I'd be interested to know the answer. My sister has to pay £16 per week extra on her electric meter for arrears. She's in the process of claiming benefits as she has just seperated from her husband.

Whilst I am aware that under the "Fuel Direct" scheme, the utility payments can be deducted from some benefits (but not DLA) it seems that water is NOT one of these utilities. This is because under the Water Industry Act 1999, water companies cannot disconnect a domestic customer for non-payment of water charges. Water charges are therefore no longer a priority debt.

Please see what ofwat says about water rates arrears: Payment options

Each company in England and Wales must have a code of practice on dealing with customers in arrears, and all companies must provide information about the code on their bills. The code of practice should be used when negotiating with the company. And the negotiating is the main tool here. If your sister is in receipt of disability benefits, she may be entitled to one the "vulnerable group" schemes- see the ofwat link, the right hand side menu "Having problems paying your bill"

Many water companies in England and Wales have internal hardship schemes or fund independent charitable trusts which can help with water and/or sewerage debts.

If your sister's water company is awkward- contactConsumer Council for Water : Consumer Council for Water regional committee as CCW is independent of the water industry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]