• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Who else has lost your data? HMRC chapter 2

2Grumpy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why don't we just cut out the middleman? Lets all walk around with sandwich boards strapped to our backs with all our personal info on there!:mad:

Wino - We will be when we have I.D. cards!

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Especially if they are readable at a distance like oyster cards and the small value payment cards that are being trialled

Where I'm working at the moment, all hard drives have full disk encryption - even desktops with nothing sensitive. In a lot of places even sensitive information isn't protected.

Grumpy

Wino - We will be when we have I.D. cards!

What info will the I.D. cards have on them. :confused: We already carry bank cards with our names on, driving licences with our address and date of birth on.

Who knows whats going to be stored

How about

Finger prints

DNA finger print

date of birth

national insurance no

nhs no

digital photo

Presumably all linked to a nice secure computer somewhere (with copies of the database sent off to america for processing or something) so that more info can be retrieved (encrypted over a secure link)

Should be ok unless they get my details wrong / mixed up with someone else.

I do feel comfortable with all that:rolleyes:

Grumpy

I read an article which I felt made a very good point similar to those above. It may be a bit extreme to ask how I will get new fingers prints etc if somebody copies my Id card but I can see where the person was coming from. It is possible to switch bank accounts and the level of hassle depends how many things you have setup.

What really concerns me is that BEFORE this story broke Watchdog highlighted cases of ALL the date held on people being sent to another individual. After the show they got thousands more examples but NOBODY from HM Revnue and Customs would come on to talk about it.

Up until relatively recently I was undecided on ID cards but this has tipped the scales massively, the risks of a government ANY government having that much data are too great. The cards will be forged and likely massively over budget.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

My understanding is they planned to replace the passport & Driving Licence with ID cards. This means you are free not to get one if you don't plan to go overseas or dirve. I'm less sure on the driving licence part...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the topic in hand I have a question.

Why is it that no one is facing criminal charges over these breeches? If this was a privately owned business that had breached the data protection act like this then someone would be eating bread and porrage as we speak...er...type....whatever!

Is this yet another example of the governments new "the law only applies to you plebs" policy?

Good point but then again can anyone see the point of fining branches of government? I saw an article in the paper saying NHS trusts which perform poorly will be fined. I'm sure the managers are quaking in thier boots.

BTW I thought I would point out, in case anyone missed it, that the Watchdog program BEFORE the lost CD's debacle reported cases of people's data being sent to someone else. The irony is one person had arranged to have all the data HMRC held on him sent because he had been a victim of identity fraud.

Also two women had the same NI no and had done for years. Through no fault of her own one of them was told she couldn't claim her tax back beyond a certain time. They did relent the next week (post lost cd) and issued new NI numbers. Unfortunately these were also identical. You really couldn't make it up.

• 3 weeks later...

The question is, Who else has lost your data? Nationwide 11 million, TK Maxx goodness knows how may, and staff at Marks & Sparks to add a few.

The only answer is you'll never know.

What you can do is render personal information which could be used to obtain credit cards, loans etc worthless to all but you.

Have a read of the following from The East of Scotland Fraud form:

(Click here).