HM Revenue and Customs loose details of 15 million child benefit recipients

MEOB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd say it's serious.

Looks like it's actually 25m- everyone who has a child under the age of 16 and receiving child benefit. Personal and bank details of the parents and even more worryingly personal details of the kids.

Even by the mind-numbingly incompetent standards of this pathetically inadequate bunch of idiots masquerading as Her Majesty's Government, this takes the biscuit.

And now they want a National ID card but they can't even keep the information they've collected safe! ......(weeps).........whats happening?........It didn't all used to be like this.....

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

OH and I have been discussing the implications of this and we can't work out how we will be affected. If anyone tries to take out a loan or open a bank account using our details they will not get far:o. If they assume our identities they will have endless contact from lots of DCAs. If they try to take money out of our bank account they might get a tenner on a good day. So the only way anyone could use our information is for the purposes of money laundering and if anyone is foolish enough to pay money into the bottomless pit they can be assured it will be drawn out and disposed of immediately:D

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Its a trust issue. And this was HMRC. If you can't trust the taxman not to lose something......no wait......what am I saying...............carry on as as you were HMRC - lose everything if you want. :-)

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

I've just received an email that tells us what it means, there also links to relevant websites.

Title

=====

ITsafe Warning 07-015

What is it?

===========

Loss of Personal Data from HMRC

What does it affect?

====================

ITsafe subscribers will be aware from the Press that some CDs being sent

between HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the National Audit Office (NAO)

are unable to be traced.

These CDs contain child benefit details of some 7.25 million families (about

25 million people), with information including names, addresses, dates of

birth, bank account and National Insurance numbers.

What does it do?

================

The status of these discs is unknown, with the Metropolitan Police currently

investigating the event: the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Alistair Darling

MP, has stated that there is no suggestion that anything untoward had

happened as a result of the discs' loss to date.

Of concern is that should the discs fall in to the wrong hands, the

information could be useful to criminals, and aid Identity Fraud.

How do I fix it?

================

As a precaution, ITsafe subscribers are recommended to:

- Ensure you are following good password procedures as explained by our

partners at GetSafeOnline

(Get Safe Online :: Use strong passwords): if any of your

passwords are things like date of birth or name, these should be changed

- Do not give out any personal information or account information if

anyone contacts you unexpectedly, and in particular be vigilant for spoof

emails, which could, if this additional information became available, look

more convincing if they claim to come from HMRC or banks. HMRC have some existing guidance about this (HM Revenue & Customs: Fraud and Scams)

- Monitor your bills, invoices, receipts and bank statement entries for

things you do not recognise, and if you find any, inform your bank

immediately: if you are the innocent victim of banking fraud you will not

have to pay

ITsafe's Small and Medium Sized business customers are recommended to also

review their procedures for storing and sending any personal or otherwise

sensitive information in the light of these events, to ensure they would not

encounter any similar potential Data Protection problems should such

electronic information become mislaid or stolen.

Details of Specific Problem

===========================

Further details on the issue is available from HMRC and from APACS, the

Banking organisation:

- HMRC statement (HM Revenue & Customs: Child Benefit customer update)

- APACS statement

(Banking industry response to HMRC data comprise)

Notes

=====

ITsafe Warnings are issued by e-mail when significant risks have been

identified that are likely to affect the majority of ITsafe users.

ITsafe Team

Making IT safe for You

ITsafe

The UK Government Alerting and Advisory Service for Information and

Communications Technologies (ICT) Security

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True but you will have to jump through hoops to get the bank to believe you.

I totally agree with you there!

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've just this minute had this sent to me, which includes a link to HMRC:

PM pledges action on data protection

21 November 2007

Gordon Brown has promised that the Government will do everything in its power to ensure the protection of data following the loss of computer discs at Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Speaking to MPs during Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Brown expressed his regret for the "inconvenience and worry" caused to members of the public and promised to find out why strict security procedures had not been followed. The details of families receiving child benefit throughout the UK went missing recently when an official at HMRC sent them on discs to the National Audit Office.

The PM said:

"When mistakes happen in enforcing procedures we have a duty to do everything we can to protect the public...we will do everything in our power to make sure data is safe."

Mr Brown said that there was no evidence of any fraudulent activity occurring as a result of the loss and that the Banking Code would ensure that no financial losses occur should such activity take place.

The PM announced an independent review to be carried out by PriceWaterhouse Coopers to find out how the loss of data occurred. Security procedures at HMRC require that only authorised staff have access to sensitive information and that such information be encrypted when transported.

The Cabinet Secretary, Sir Gus O'Donnell, has also been instructed to examine the implementation of data security measures across all departments as a result of the breach, while Information Commissioner Richard Thomas will be given the power to "spot check" departments and examine the quality of compliance.

Last month the Prime Minister asked Mark Walport, head of the Wellcome Trust, and the Information Commissioner to carry out a review of data and information security across the public and private sectors.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would have been far more impressed had he said: "I accept complete responsibility for the lamentable breakdown in controls within a department that I ran for ten years up to 6 months ago. In the circumstances I cannot in good conscience continue to hold high public office and I am therefore resigning as Prime Minister".

Amazing isn't it, you spend a lot of time and trouble ensuring personal details are disposed of sensibly when throwing away correspondence with them on just for this bunch of incompetent idiots to allow all and sundry to have them anyway.

As every organisation attempts to screw as much money out of the general public, it is about time the tables were turned.

I am very distressed and worried about this and I would like to know whom to demand and send my compensation claim to for the distress, worry, anguish for my family and myself. This is apart from any time that I am put to in the reading of letters from HMRC and any attempt of fraud from our accounts.

Any ideas of names and addresses to send this to please, and no I am not joking.

Just found this from Mirror newspaper website No-one-is-safe it looks as though everyone is affected by this.

It's just one thing after another with this damn government, I have now lost the little faith I had left for this "New" Labour government, What's worrying me now is: what next???

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And the number just keeps on going up. Now it's at least 10...

Judges’ details ‘posted on unencrypted discs’ - Times Online

"Recorded on the files were the addresses, phone numbers, e-mail details and bank information of people such as Lord Falconer of Thoroton, the recently retired Lord Chancellor, and Lord Woolf, the former Lord Chief Justice."

That puts a different spin on things!

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

I received my letter from HM Revenue and Customs this morning!!!! I am one of the 25m people who will now have sleepless nights that someone may get something out of my account!!! Good luck to them cause I can't!!!

As for the other personal infomation that worries me.

Night Owl

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

A former moderator on this site has set up a petition here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Datahandling/

linking the Government's loss of this data with its ability to record and store data for the proposed national ID card. If you agree with the petition, please sign it and show the Government that we won't tolerate them playing fast and loose with our personal data.

Notice how quiet it has gone over this disgraceful situation, been superceeded by more govt sleaze around illegal donations. Yet again something that affects the consumer/general public has been pushed aside.

I have reveived one of their letters, however will be contacting them for details of where to send my demand for compensation, something that funily enough they did not mention.

A former moderator on this site has set up a petition here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Datahandling/

linking the Government's loss of this data with its ability to record and store data for the proposed national ID card. If you agree with the petition, please sign it and show the Government that we won't tolerate them playing fast and loose with our personal data.

Curious that it is just above "bring back the death penalty"!!

Night Owl

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

• 1 month later...

My details were lost too:mad: It infuriates me because they have broken the data protection act and by rights, we should all claim compensation. But where will compensation come from? Our taxes, so we'd be paying our own compensation!:-x

mine were lost to and we cant actually claim compo from the govermanet due to this.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.