"DBSG to take on misleading websites" - not us surely!

djdave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just read this on the Credit Today website:

The incoming chairman of the Debt Buyers and Sellers Group (DSBG) has pledged to tackle websites that encourage people to evade their debts.

Tessera chief executive Leigh Berkley said some websites offering advice to indebted consumers can be misleading. He criticised them for being technically incorrect or encouraging debt avoidance and said he will work with the advice sector and consumer groups to tackle the problem and provide accurate information.

Source: Credit Today online

I wonder if they mean CAG?

I've never seen any threads on here condoning debt avoidance, in fact I've noticed quite the opposite with posts encouraging people to negotiate fair payment plans - once it has been proven that a DCA has a right to collect a debt.

And if we're giving "technically incorrect" advice then it's interesting how many times DCAs lose when they take CAGgers to court.

I wonder what form this "tackling" will take. We've seen Money Saving Expert subjected to a DDOS attack recently, but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence...

• Haha 1

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CAG's position is, and has always been, that we do not condone debt evasion or avoidance, so I don't think that we have anything to worry about.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

And yet I’d respectfully suggest he concentrates on his members and DCA’s to get their own houses in order first.

Perhaps if these DCA’s weren’t intent on bullying, cheating, lying, threatening, ignoring law and reasonable debtor requests then there would be no need for the kinds of websites this guy mentions (if indeed these websites even exist, I’ve never come across any specific debt avoidance ones).

I find it highly amusing that there is no mention of his member’s actions despite mountains of evidence available on many websites as to the actions of his members.

Equally amusing is that he uses terms such as “misleading, technically incorrect” which apply more to DCA’s then they do debtors.

Seems like some chickens are coming home to roost in the debt collection world.

Would this be the Chief Executive of the same "Tessara" group of companies who purchased one of my accounts whilst in dispute ?... who pays one of many particularly silly employees, one of whom rang me up and said that she didn't need to go through Data Protection with me because the law had been changed ?... and was eventually told to berger off in writing or her employer would be reported to The Financial Crimes Branch of HM Treasury ?... so sold the account on really doubly quick and never contacted me ever again ? :p

Why yes, I think it is.

No wonder he's so upset.... bless ! :D

from here:

His immediate priorities are to continue to strengthen membership of the group (current membership stands at 61) by up to 10 new members a year and further widen its appeal especially within the seller community and internationally. He is also looking to advance the work already started in establishing the DBSG as the ‘voice’ of the debt purchasing industry:
CAG - Membership over 155,000

DSBG - Membership 61

Anybody got a calculator?;)

CAG - People Power!!:)

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Thanks to all the 'misleading and incorrect' advice on CAG I have got rid of 80k of unenforceable debt - mostly charges, interest and of course my personal favourite - irresponsible lending. 155,000 people can't be wrong;)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Would this be tessera chasing me for a statute barred debt? The statute of limitations act is something I suggest they read up on.

That would indeed be the same Tessera that purchase statute barred debt and start chasing like wild dogs.

He didn't come looking for trouble, but trouble came looking for him.

When the smoke clears, it just means he's reloading.

That would indeed be the same Tessera that purchase statute barred debt and start chasing like wild dogs.

So what you are saying , is this Leigh Berkley , you think he would be the type of person to use all manner of underhanded tactics to grab as much cash as he can ... but then complain if people armed themselves with this 'misinformation' to try to stop him ?

Tessera are of the mind that a debt may be unenforceable, may be statute barred, but is still a debt and should still be paid if one owes the money. I've had that from one in an appropriate position in Tessara. If the debt is disputed, well that's a wholly different matter, but if you owes the money, you gotta pay your dues.

Much of the credit industry see these forums as a big barrier to them doing their job. They never had people in debt speaking so freely to each other without the stigma that has surrounded each persons own personal dilemna. Even now, when I speak to people who have never been in debt about this forum and what goes on they appear to want to back off speaking about it as if it is something that only happens to the people living in poverty and can't or won't work. But come on here and you realise these are 'real people' rich and poor alike and what really has upset the applecart for the collection industry is that this site and others like it are like one great big training course. Of course some will use it as a means to get debt written off if they can and of course we will get many things wrong- but we get there in the end using the synergy of thousands and what are we all using to do it? - the failures of the financial industry and the dca''s TO ABIDE BY THE LAW which they haven't been doing for years and were never questioned because they preyed on peoples ignorance and fear of being visited by a bailiff. What Mr Berkley is doing is banging a big drum as he's the new boy in the CSA.

I mean, how can anyone take this industry seriously when they have Awards being given for the best 'Debt Purchaser' what criteria do these people in the Credit Industry use when they shortlist these companies?:

Lowell

Cabot Financial

Robinson Way

....and the Award panel? including the very man who set up the debt guidance charity CCCS, Malcolm Hurlston which is dedicated to assisting debtors riven with anxiety and stress brought upon them by these very DCa's.. it's a joke. ( and he who also runs the CCJ register (Registry Trust) across the land and sells the data of yours or my CCJ's to loan brokers for astronomical sums of money

so they can target you to take up sub-prime loans and then come back to CCCS ??....it's a big joke..

These companies above are figured heavily on this forum alone as being amongst the worst DCA's at breaking CCA regulations, OFT guidelines, their own industry guidelines, being reported to Trading Standards and the Information Commissioners.

What little contribution I have made to this forum has one intention and one intention ONLY... to make Debt Collection Agencies abide by the law and if Mr Berkley can focus his attention on making his members do just that, I'll go away as will no doubt countless others on here. But until then, I will use every ounce (kg) of my efforts to ensure that every grubby little practice and person who breaks just one law gets exposed.

The Cabot Fan Club on CAG, of which I am proud to be involved in, continuously, behind the scenes, investigates individuals and their conflicts of interests, their Directorships of conflicting interest companies and the practices which have until the advent of this wonderful forum gone undetected - well your time is up mateys - we are on your case and if Mr Berkley needs help, he knows where to come..

• Haha 1

There will always be people who use loopholes to get out of paying their debts and use this forum for that purpose whether CAG agrees with that or not.

However, the fact of the matter is that if DCA's and others operated correctly and within the law, such "rogue debtors" would not have a leg to stand on.

I think it's a case of biter bit.

• Haha 1

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

What a load of old tosh. Leigh BERKley would be better getting his colleagues to stop offering incorrect advice and act within the law. As far as I am concerned CAG does not condone DEBT AVOIDANCE. What it doe encourage is to make sure the DCA act within the law. Asking a DCA for a CCA is a LEGAL RIGHT. Refusing to pay for a Statute Barred Debt is a LEGAL RIGHT. Refusing to be threatened and harrassed by a DCA is a LEGAL RIGHT.

What next from Tossera debtors prisons.

Bring it on Leigh. Sorry if the truth about your grubby industry hurts but hey you are a big boy.

“We need to continue our consultations with all stakeholders, especially government in setting regulation and legislation that is relevant and proportionate,” Leigh explains. “We need to promote the need to balance the rights of the consumers with their responsibilities as debtors, and robustly defend our industry in the wake of misleading and often wholly inaccurate consumer websites.”

have a look at this from the bbc website regarding the director of experian

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Q&A: Struggling with debt?

- this is just one of the the question and her reply :-x

DAVE, WREXHAM

"I may owe a bank for a student overdraft (under £1000) from the year 2000. Are they still able to chase me for this as I am on benefits following a heart attack and not in a position to offer anything. At the moment I still have not acknowledged the letters from the debt collection agency."

Jill says:

Ignoring letters from the debt collectors is your second mistake. The first was obviously not paying off that overdraft! You say it was for under £1,000 - but that was seven years ago. You might be surprised how interest can mount up over time. Please don't think that your debt will go away if you run away from it for long enough. You need to get in touch with the collections agency and explain your circumstances. If you genuinely can't pay anything at all, then they will probably suggest, as I do, that you seek help from a money adviser who can negotiate for you.

Pfft...Yet more hot air and nonsense from someone who should be looking at his own industry's highly questionable, if not outright illegal practices :mad:

CAG is here because of bad practice, sort your own 'bad boys' out Mr Berkley :p

Pfft...Yet more hot air and nonsense from someone who should be looking at his own industry's highly questionable, if not outright illegal practices :mad:

CAG is here because of bad practice, sort your own 'bad boys' out Mr Berkley :p

And be espcially RUTHLESS in weeding out the bad apples.:rolleyes: Hold on it might be easier to list the ones who actually abide by the law

I had a row on another forum for calling the whole industry 'bad apples' :D

Actually, I didn't but my remark was taken out of context ;) Typical of the sensitive souls in the debt collection industry...ROFPMSL

Don what Winston Churchil did when told he could not say ''Half the members of this house (of Commons) are idiots'' He rephrased it and said ''Half the members of this House are not idiots.''