star12 v egg

star12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have just noticed (I know - not good at looking at the details) that my credit card which I signed up for online with Egg in 2005 has been subject to Card Repayment Protection insurance. I honestly had no idea and it's cost quite a bit over the years. It's added to my balance monthly.

I read a bit about this on here and another forum and then contacted Egg to ask whether when I signed up for this insurance it was opt-in or opt-out (ie whether on the online form the box was preticked - the tick in the box equating to my signature). They confirmed to me that at that time the box would have been preticked.

Please could you point me in the direction of the closest letter template taht I could adapt to my needs and also any particular thread I should read to pursue my complaint?

Very grateful for your help.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/53376-e-day-victory-over-5.html#post888909

See the section near the bottom: 16 PPI claims won, 2 lost.

Egg is retreating in the face of PPI refund claims, with a recent £1600 refund given after only one letter from the claimant. The fact is that the regulators take a dim view of PPI mis-selling and in a borderline situation of doubt nowadays leans in favour of the claimant. If your PPI enrolment tickbox was pre-ticked YES it seems unfair tactics, as a customer may not notice the pre-tick at all on a crowded online screen. I should keep safe retention of Egg's admission (in black and white?) that the box was displayed pre-ticked. Were you ever eligible for PPI unemployment claims at all, e.g. were you self-employed? That could further strengthen your reclaim.

I am not aware of any PPI reclaim template letter, or one tailored for Egg. If you read the 16 successes that should give you enough info and encouragement. In many cases Egg caved in immediately where they know from the circumstances and the known past form. If they know they will lose in the end, then in the process they do not want to antagonise the regulator OFT and FOS further, possibly risking a fine in addition to forced refund. So a straightforward letter from you should be enough, claiming full refund plus 8% per annum statutory interest. You could if you wish, politely PM the successful case most resembling your own, for further encouragement.

Good luck.

Edited by Mistermind

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mistermind.

I heard back from Egg today who offered me a full refund of all PPI payments made over the last six years plus 8% interest.

I wonder - I haven't obtained or checked my statements over that period - do you think there's any chance they would have got that amount wrong or should I accept the offer?

Thanks again - it took only about 10 days in total!

It would cost you only £5 to receive past statements, hopefully in days not weeks. If that would set your mind at rest, why not? But you would need to discover at least £5 refund omission to show a profit. :D Egg generally offer SAR requestors 3 options:

(1) £5 for just a computer-generated list of penalty charges (and possiblly PPI instalments)

(2) £5 for a reprint of all past statements as they were issued first time.

(3) £10 for a one-inch thick pile of papers including screen prints, taking up to 40 days and possibly costing Egg £50 staff time.

Egg are already in the doghouse with regulators on PPI, so they would be foolhardy to intentionally hoodwink customers to save a few quid and risk being caught red-handed. To safeguard against over-refunding, you would have thought Egg had double-checked their sums.

Well done taking only 10 days. Egg effectively ran an involuntary savings scheme for you, and have now refunded your savings as an unexpected windfall. The drinks are on you. :D :D

Edited by Mistermind