new money claim

philippam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

After reading through most of the posts on here, I still have a couple of questions, I think really to put my mind at ease as I get butterflies every time I think about this.

Firstly, my account went overdrawn a couple of years ago, long story but evil boyfriend persuaded me to give him my pin number (abusive and threatening behaviour is very persuasive) and he took my money, making my account overdawn. been to police but me against him so not much they can do. anyway, i had a load of charges when direct debits got returned, cheques bounced etc, and i was wondering can I still claim on these? I'm so scared of it going to court I'd just break down I know it :( but I really want my money back, I've worked out at least £800 of charges that would really come in handy as i'm a poor student, I'm only 21!!

I'm going to send off the letter to Nationwide asking for my charges information shortly, and will need to include a postal order, who do I make it payable to?

I'm also really scared they'll close my account. I've been with N'wide since I was 8 years old or something ridiculous, and I'm not sure about opening another account? I know my credit rating is bad (cos of all the trouble a couple of years ago) so will i actually be able to open any kind of account with a different bank? or will they all refuse me? as I really don't want to end up with no bank account!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

(very scared) P.

Hi and welcome, yes you can reclaim those charges! go for it girl! and you can get a natwest step account easily online, only takes about 10 minutes. i got one and i got poor cred rating! hope this helps and good luck:)

Welcome.

Firstly read the step by step guide here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243

Print it out so it's always at hand. A read through the FAQs will answer a lot of your questions

Nat West offer a basic Step Account that you can apply for on-line, so if you do that first it will give you the confidence to continue

Make the DPA fee payable to Nationwide

Any problems, just post on your thread here

Good luck

A Step account offers no chequebook, no credit card, no overdraft facility but does come with internet banking and a Solo cash card which can also be used to pay for goods in most of the big chains and stores.

However, it cannot be used to pay bills online or via telephone banking, nor can it be used to transfer money to another bank account. But there is a trick to get around this limitation.

How To Use Telephone Banking To Pay Bills With a Step Account

• First you have to open a Natwest First Reserve savings account, this can either be done online www.natwest.com or at any branch
  • The First Reserve is a very simple deposit/savings account which pays a pathetic interest rate of around 1.5%, but this doesn't matter because you're not going to be using it to save money in
  • Once the account is opened you'll be able to access it from the same screen on your internet access
  • With you Step account if you try to use the 'Payment' button it will tell you that your account does not support this function
  • But call Natwest up on their 24 hour customer line 0845 601 3366 transfer money from the Step to the First Reserve and then make the payment using the First Reserve account
  • For example, you owe £20.47 to BT, phone Natwest get them to transfer £20.47 to your FR then get them to pay BT from that account, all this will take less than 3 mins. Natwest have an excellent telephone banking service and with it being 24 hours you can call whenever you want

Why Is This Important

This perhaps sounds more long winded that it actually is but it's very important because many of the people with Step accounts have been unorganised with their financial affairs in the past, especially no doubt when it comes to paying bills. And as a Step account doesn't come with a cheque book many bills have to be paid down at the bank which can be a hassle, getting to town, waiting in line etc.

Using this strategy one can remain fully on top of all money that has to be paid out and it only takes a few minutes.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog..:D

MBNA SETTLED IN FULL £216.00

Preffered Mortgages Ltd MCOL going in for £3.5K

Nationwide £702.00, SETTLED IN FULL.

Hi Phillippam,

it is very nerve racking i agree but hold your nerve and don't let them beat you. i had the same worries about another bank account as my credit rating is so bad i can't even get a club book or mobile phone but i have applied for and been accepted for a cashminder account at the co-op. (got number online and rang them) as for the charges caused by that ba****d of an ex boyfriend claim them back that would at least be some small justice for what you have been through. i would recommend you start to open another bank account now rather than later as they can close your account with only 30 days notice. if you start to feel the jitters come back onto the forum and the support you receive is marvellous. don't give up mate and just think of the cash!!

oooeee

As a mathematics degree student i know their figures don't add up!!!! join the Revolution!!!

Nationwide Building society £1778.55 LBA sent 22.06.2006 Claim filed at Truro court 07/07/2006 for £1842.78 Acknowledgement recieved 19/07/2006 "intend to defend". £246.73 (interest on amount) paid into account 20/07/2006 Remaining £1595 paid into account 21/07/2006

Littlewoods catalogue looking into late charges. £80 of charges made phone call 16/07/2006 letter going out 21/07/2006

• 4 weeks later...

Hi wonder if anyone has come up with same problem with nationwide as me.I posted my dpa letter with cheque and cheque was cashed on 25/05/06!!But gave 40 days and nothing .Contacted them and they say they nor recieved it. said cheque cashed and was told they look into it.recieved letter and they said would apply for my statements,this 2 weeks ago.Do i have to give 40 days notice again.? have already got my salary being paid into different account so no worries there but they sending letters threatening court action as i not reducing overdraft which stands at 960. Daft thing is if they pulled their finger out i would be able to settle with money refunded from charges !! Any help or advice please..

There are DPA non-compliance letters here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Write to the bank and tell that the account is in dispute:

Re: Account in dispute

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing to clarify that I am currently in the process of requesting a refund of bank charges unlawfully made to my account.

I note from your latest correspondence that you are proposing to issue me with court proceedings on this account - I need to make you fully aware that I am disputing the sum owed and, as such, you must refrain from any further action until this dispute is fully resolved.

Your sincerely,