Council Tax- billed for an address i was not living in

philiph20
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today just recieved a summons for unpaid council tax fromOctober 06 to Apr 07 even though i was not living in the property. The Property is owned by my Sister and she moved out in september 06 to a new property and the plan was for me to move into the property the Council was notified about this plan but very soon after i moved into her new place and immediately the Council was notified. There was zero correspondance re council tax bills from October 06 until March 07 so one would normally assume that everything was hunky dory and they were aware that i did not move into the property,i subsequently moved into another place in May 07 and i then received with the Council tax another bill for the property i did not move into , i contacted them spoke to somebody and he said he was aware of it all and everything was in hand, nothing was hard until July 07 when i recieved another bill for the property i did not live in so yet again both me and my Sister contacted them via the phone and e-mail, it was virtually impossible to get through on the phone but we did receive a reply to one of the many e-mails which was not terribly thorough and they asked for proof ie bills and bank statements i like amny others do all my banking online and all the bills i contributed in cash to my Sister so i have no proof that i lived there however they ahve no proof taht i lived in the original address and i have proof that they were notified on numerous occasions that i was living with my sister, i would be most grateful for any advice becaus ei am NOT going to let this incompetent Council screw me, in the alst few weeks we have both written to them recorded delivery and e-mailed and had no reply at all, i also have the date and time and the name of the person i spoke to in May ..please help.

Mnat thanks in advance

I would send a letter stating "this account is in dispute" to the most senior person in the revenue collections department (if you phone the help desk they should tell you who that is).

State everything you have stated here - even if you have nothing in writing, surely there must be people who can act as witnesses as to where you were living?

Advise that if you do have to attend court, you will vigourosly defend their action and will also advise the local government ombudsman of their actions. You will also apply for costs for attending court. Send this special delivery or hand deliver it at your local office and ask for a receipt.

What date is the summons for? If it's very soon, i would ask for an appointment with the revenue collections manager before the court date - if they refuse, make a note of this and do go to the hearing, bringing your evidence of contacting them to try to resolve thsi issue and also witness(es) of where you were actually living.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

You'll find that Council's hare incompetent in the extreme and can happily make statutory additions and have you found in default with a CCJ without you ever having to appear in court. With so many bucking the system and avoiding payment it is no wonder they are requiring evidence so to save things getting out of control, you get some documentation that proves your address during the disputed period, only this will prevent enforcement.

Who was responsible for the council tax during the period in question? From what you said it reads as though it was still owned by your sister as a second property, but stood empty. Most councils do a second property discount. Surely she should give a statement confirming the situation and asking for a revised bill for the periods to be sent to her and she will have to pay?

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment