National Broadband Speedfinder project - beta

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Blimey, who's the person in B43 who's been getting 11,000 Kb/sec ?
When will this be going out to the main forum? The only reason I ask is that Mr & Mrs Lula came round for tea last night (whilst on holiday in rainy Cornwall) and will be visiting Goonhilly by the end of the week...

All she could talk about was the 100 Gb/s speed she will get on her lappy...yes, that is 100 Gb/s...an obscene speed, and would no doubt place her in pole position if this were available to all users...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

For 10Mb packages, the average download speed was 28124.45 KBps (219.72 Mb)

Can someone explain to exhausted thicko here how the average d/l speed is reading like it's higher than the package, or am I not understanding this at ALL? (a very strong possibility, I happily concede!)

She was clearly dreaming - the connection at Goonhilly is 100 Mb/s, not Gb/s, as can be seen here...

Bookie...your speed differentials...can't offer an explanation for you...:)

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It does happen, Bookie. With DSL the speed is quite dependent on your distance from the exchange, and plenty of people do get higher than the advertised speed. You could verify your speeds on another site if you want (just to double check that our test isn't wrong), but I don't really find the results too surprising.

Slight typo

You can view the overall results for users on your exchange by vising our Results page

other than that, I think it's great!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

why do they always use megabits rather than megabytes?

it's just confusing for laypeople.

Because a Mb (megabit) is a lot smaller than a MB (megabyte)

So for a given speed, the number seems higher than it actually is.

31,536,000 seconds is the same as 1 year, but the number is more impressive.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

31,536,000 seconds is the same as 1 year

Depends on the year... we had a leap second in 2005.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

No map came up for me.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Postcode was ok, and it did the test,which meant nothing to me, but where it said there should be a map it was a blank screen. It did say where the nearest exchange was correctly.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

What map?

I had no map either.

Depends on the year... we had a leap second in 2005.

Nit-picking!:p

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 4 weeks later...

This is clearly another issue that is gaining momentum from newly empowered consumers...Ofcom and ASA are now investigating the issue...roll on the time when the issue of "Contents = 100% xyz" is dealt with...