• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

**WON** Defence threw out due to non compliance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Problem you have aude is that their deadline is this Friday and your hearing is Tuesday so the court would likely allow them to produce it on the day. Having said that, I suspect that if they do turn up, Barclays will not present a Bundle but, in lieu, an application for Stay.

So I would take pre-prepared Objection to Stay, N225 (asking for Judgement by Default as no bundle=little case of success if case proceeds) plus, if you haven't already submitted it with an AQ, the DRaft Directions requiring Disclosure by Defendant.

The outcome depends on the inclination of the judge on the day; he may welcome the application for Staying and grant it regardless of your argument against such, he may grant your judgement to conclude the claim immediately or he may be willing to proceed to trial and order your draft Directions. Hence you should take all three documents so you have a strategy for any of these possibilities.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oopsi aude, my misread - as a parent recovering from school hols, I've lost all concept of calendar time.

I would leave it til next Tuesday and then hand deliver your N225 applying for Judgement by Default; this gives enough of a gap for

1) them to be regarded as unreasonably late in submitting their bundle but;

2) hopefully not enough time for them to get their Stay application to court.

Attach a copy of the original Directions. You don't need to send a copy to Barclays.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

• 2 weeks later...

Sent the letter to the court asking for judgement by default as they didn't comply with the directions and submit their bundle by the 7th September . My letter wasn't processed it seems as there was a backlog and I have just called the court office and been told that they requested a stay on the 11th but only paid their fee yesterday so it's still being dealt with:mad: The guy I spoke to asked me to fax over a copy of the letter I sent asking for it to be put before a judge I have just done that. I really don't know what else I should be doing but I am so nervous now. Do I have to oppose the request for a stay at this stage? any advice welcome asap!

hi, think it depends on judge as to whether he allows couple of days grace to bank.,your letter n225 form,must have arrived roughly same time as banks.toss up or judge.

dont know but this seems an important issue.

seems like they are prepared to apply and pay for stay ,before people can get judgement on non compliance

i havent read this any where before.

tez

Oppose the Stay on the grounds that B's haven't even attempted to comply with Court Directions by submitting their Bundle.

Did they actually pay a fee for the Stay Application - not heard of this before.

Ask Court when the Stay Appl'n Hearing will be so you can attend and oppose.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Aude,

Are you sure B's PAID a fee for their Stay Appl'n.

Here's link re Stay objection - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay-updated.html#post1046820

Argue against the Stay on basis that B's failed to submit Court Bundle as ordered by Judge and ask for their Defence to be Struck Out for non-compliance.

Slick

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi

That's what they told me at the court office when I called.

Thanks for the link, I just called again and they told me they were waiting for the judge to look at the file so I need to wait for the outcome before submitting my application for removal. Have now printed the forms and filled them in ready for the next step...

Yes, wait for the judge to review and be ready with your anti Stay stuff. Keep us posted .

Slick

Many thanks for the links which I read with interest. I really can't wait to hear the outcome and will be shocked if Barclays get away with a stay when they haven't complied with the court directions no bundles/no letter informing me they have asked for a stay. The court helpline chaps are nice and helpful, just hope the judge will be the same.

I am in a right state now! I was expecting the judge to make an order in my favour as Barclays didn't comply with the directions given and submit their bundle.

Instead the letter I received says that my case has been thrown out as I didn't comply with paragraph2 (ii) which when I looked on the directions refers to the allocation to track fee which I paid when I took my court bundle in to the court on 9th August!. I have just called the court and the guy who sent the letter is off today (typical)..they have asked me to fax over a copy of the receipt for the payment. Having done that, I checked with Barclays and the money went out of my account on the 15th August. Now, does anybody know if I should have paid this earlier as I paid by cheque on the 9th and the direction was that I should submit bundle by the 11th August? Unless they don't have a record of my payment having been made I can't think what else it can refer to.

I will be on the phone again tomorrow to find out more but I can't believe this letter as I''ve been in touch by phone a few times to find out the status of my case and they didn't say anything to me about not complying with directions!!! :xand worried sick!

Hi Aude,

I've just looked through your last thread and read the Directions, in particular, item 2(ii).

Go back to Court and complain to the Court Manager that this should NOT have happened and that you have complied fully with Court Directions. Give him a copy of the pay't receipt.

Ask for this to be put back before the Judge immediately so your request for Judgement can be properly reconsidered.

Something's bugging me here - in post #22, where Court told you bank paid a fee re a Stay request. Maybe bank put in Stay request AFTER realising the missed their Defence deadline.

Slick

Hi Slick

Thanks for your reply. The court (Willesden) don't seem very organised at all! They definately told me that Barclays had put in the stay request after the deadline had passed. They have not submitted their bundle as directed nor have they informed me they have made an application for a stay and I thought they were supposed to do that too. I am totally confused. I have faxed my receipt to them now but I really don't trust them to get things done. I think they lost my bundle because every time I call they say they are trying to locate it. I am going to call again and ask to speak to the court manager. will update you as soon as.

If you think you're getting the run around, tell Court Manager you want an appointment to meet with him to see that your case file, Bundle, receipt for AQ and anything else are together and ready to go back before the Judge or you'll be making a formal complaint.

Slick

Thanks will do! I have called and spoken to them, they've got my request to have it re examined by the judge so fingers crossed this time. the court manager is back tomorrow so I'll be calling back if I don't hear sometime soon.

Aude,

I would start chasing the Ct Mgr HARD tomorrow:-

1) To seek Judgement in your favour.

2) To get this sorted before B's try and sneak in their Stay Appl'n INSTEAD of the Defence they were told to file.

It's Judgement time.

Slick

Slick

Do you think I should send a letter to the judge or court manager to arrive tomorrow basically reminding him of the situation that Barclays haven't complied with his directions and yet have requested a stay, and that my letter asking for judgement was not dealt with efficiently. I'm not sure how to put it but I've just got a feeling now that the stay request will be granted due to the court office's incompetence. and I can't seem to get through to the court manager as whenever I ask for him they say he's not available can they help, and I end up having to discuss it with them instead. It's infuriating. grrrrrrrrrr

Letter to the Court ASAP will do fine.

Dear Sir, Further to my Appl'n for Judgement in my favour which I sent to the Court on xxth Sept, I am most concerned at the delay caused by the mis-allocation of the AQ fee which I paid into Court on xxth Sept.

This has caused my case to be Struck Out for non-compliance whereas, in fact, the Defence should have been Struck out for THEIR non-compliance.

Could my Claim please now be put back before the Judge for his urgent consideration so that Judgement may be given in my favour in accordance with the document I Filed with the Court.

I look forward to your reply by return. Yours faithfully, Aude

What dya think, Slick

• Haha 1

oops

Aude,

From your other thread:-

" I am waiting for the judges decision re their request for a stay ( they didn't comply with the court directions so I've asked for a judgement. in the meantime they continue to charge me for going over my overdraft:evil: . Do you think I can add the charges on to the total if I win the case? "

If bank agrees to settle out of court, you could try and negotiate later charges into settlement figure.

Otherwise, you'll have to start afresh.

Any reply yet re lost AQ fee and reviewing your Claim.

Slick

5 Threads merged.

If you haven't sent the letter yet you should include in it that your right to judgment has arisen under CPR 3.5, because the courts order has not been complied with and the order contained a striking out clause. Also point out CPR 3.8, which states that where an order contains a sanction for non-compliance, the sanction must be applied unless the defaulting party applies for relief.

Incidentally, under normal circumstances failing to comply with an order does not entitle you to apply for judgment - only if there is a striking out clause attached (which there is in this case obviously).

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.