Dodgy Company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a phone call on my mobile from a company calling itself National Bank Charge reclaim services (or simular). Asking me if I was successfull in reclaiming my bank charges. When I asked where they had got my number they hung up.

The only people who know about my claim are your good selves I have never put my mobile number on here or my real name. So where they got the info from I dont know.

The number they rang from was 01612738177

• 1 month later...

No, but I'm ex directory and anyone that I think is going to sell my details gets my 070 number, which is permanent voicemail ;)

The voicemail message gets sent to my email, so I can then decide whether to call back or not.

YAC - The Inbound Call Experts if you want one.

Free to use, although the company make a profit from any calls in to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received a call as well. I don't like answering withheld or unknown numbers, so didn't pick up but decided to ring back. The call didn't get through: "call failed: not allowed" returned the phone. Out of curiosity, looked up on the web. Glad to have ignored it :)

These people will just cold call hundreds of numbers in the hope of finding a few customers (victims).

I never pick up the phone to witheld numbers (what have they got to hide?). If they need to speak to me they will leave a message. If it's a [problem], con, cold call they won't leave a message!:)

Hello! I've just received a phonecall from them too, from 01612738177 (they didn't withold their number) to my mobile phone number (which is not ex-directory). I googled their number and found this forum!

They said they'd send me a 'free' pack which I'd need to send to my bank. The bank would then send back to me my last 6 years worth of statements, and I was to tick the charges, and send it back, and get a guaranteed repayment of all those charges.

I asked what THEY would get out of it, and the woman said that I'd have to pay £5 for the 'free' pack, which eventually the bank would repay as part of the claim... which all sounded a bit weird.

As soon as I started being a bit reluctant to go along with it, she said 'ok, bye then' and hung up abruptly, leaving me with the impression it was a cold caller on commission. I do not rememeber clearly if I was greeted by name or not, but I doubt that they had any of my details.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also had this call today as well as one of my colleagues, when I said i had already claimed they put the phone down on me.

I have claimed charges however, the call today was on my company phone which no-one other than my company know I have.

Therefore this would suggest they are calling randomly in the hope to get hold of people. i guess the reason they put the phone down is to not waste time so they can get onto the next call.

No big deal as far as i'm concerned, just a company using cold calling tactics to get business - they did not withold the number which is 0161 2738177. they also knew none of my personal details.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I am ex directory and i am getting the phone calls. When l asked who gave them the number l was told BT. So l rang BT and they said they dont give out numbers and explained to me that a lot of these companies have autodialers which start with a number like 000001 and go from there. If they get a dial tone then they no the number is real.

Hope this helps.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 4 months later...

Well I just advised them i dont have a bank account or any cards and i hered him say that was a waste of time.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

They said they'd send me a 'free' pack which I'd need to send to my bank. The bank would then send back to me my last 6 years worth of statements, .

I havn't seen this pack that costs £5 but I bet it will be template letters to use to reclaim that the good people of CAG have put on this site free for you to use.

CAG is free and the advise is free,( it is up to you whether you take it or not.:razz: ) Just remember when we all finally get our bank charges back to donate some of it to CAG to keep the site alive and active :)

By the way Chris Thomas if that is your real name we would advise you to change it to a nickname whilst on an open forum

I wish I knew who these people are - name of company or address. Unfortunately they don't give the details when they call and you can't call back the number.

It's been reported to Consumer Direct anyway - and I know other people have reported it. I suggest everyone else does the same.

I wish I knew who these people are - name of company or address. Unfortunately they don't give the details when they call and you can't call back the number.

It's been reported to Consumer Direct anyway - and I know other people have reported it. I suggest everyone else does the same.

I'd guess this company in question are just trawling the court lists and canvassing for work.

Just as happens in repossession claims, personal injury etc.

Not illegal as far as I am aware.

Al

I dont have a claim in the courts or a complaint with my bank so how did they get my UNKNOWN mobile number. It was unknown as l had only just got the new card for it about 15 minute b4. That is the 5th one in about 13 mths and they are the only ppl that ever called on the sim card as i have a private and family number.

Al

I dont have a claim in the courts or a complaint with my bank so how did they get my UNKNOWN mobile number. It was unknown as l had only just got the new card for it about 15 minute b4. That is the 5th one in about 13 mths and they are the only ppl that ever called on the sim card as i have a private and family number.

Sorry, I was responding to the OP's situation with my previous reply.

He has obviously made a claim in court which can be sourced quite easily which is why he has probably had a call.

And I replied to gyzmo's post pointing out that this is not warranted of a complaint as it is perfectly legal.

It is legal - but just about bordering. I questioned this person who called me who initially sid that they were calling on behalf of my mobile phone operator, and started questioning me as to whether I had received an upgrade yet. Deeper questioning (which clearly, to my pleasure, annoyed the caller somewhat) revealed that they merely purport to be an agent of 3 (in the same way that phones 4 U or Carphone warehouse are). They even had the cheek to say that they did not have my details due to data protection.

So, I asked, my operator just contacted you, decided to ignore data protection by giving you just a telephone number, and asked you to call on the offchance that my contract is due for renewal without actully confirming any other details?

Unsurprisingly, the caller was extremely angry (probably becasue the crook of a boss they have will deduct the call from her commission only pay).

This company gave the impression initially that they had authority to act on behalf of 3. They, as others, do not. It is called misleading. And when the new regs come into force, I believe such a practice will fall into one of the specified practices taht are deemed unfair whatever the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh i would be nice to know why they are ringing.