Barclays 'Withdrawn' Savings Accounts

JamesBooker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had £1000 in a Barclays 'Instant Savings' account for the last year and noticed I'd only been paid £0.59 interest.

I opened this account in 1999 and the interest rate was 4.5%.

When I asked where the interest was they said the 'Instant Savings' account had been withdrawn 4 years ago and it now only paid 0.15%!

I asked them why they hadn't written to me or upgraded my account but they said adverts were put in the national press and that was all they were required to do.

After all the con jobs Barclays have pulled on me (rip-off bank charges, unrequested additions account upgrades, unrequested PPI added to loan) I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I actually am.

Has anyone else had experience of this? Any thoughts welcome :)

Hi James

No expert but I would have thought that at the very least, they had obligation to inform you when they withdraw a product (ie The Instant Savings Account) - they can't simply swap you onto a different product attracting a substantially different interest rates without notification.

Tell me James, was there anything different about the statements eg a different Account name?

Edit:

Have edited edit for shorter post. Interest rates on withdrawn products - Savings - Barclays links to withdrawn Savings accounts including the Instant Savings A/c.

Also on their website is :

Changes to our interest rates

Whenever there's a change to our rates you'll usually find them printed in the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail, by calling 0845 603 0845* or by checking this page. (Lines are open 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 9am-1pm, except Bank Holidays. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls).

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41