style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You are a genius - I couldn't work out how to get quotes. What a great step by step guide for us 'dummies'. :D

Bank of Scotland account 1 - £2,666 WON

Bank of Scotland account 2 - £2,500 on hold

GE Capital charges -£30 won (hey, every little helps!)

Barclays Partner Finance £425 charges - £225 offer accepted.

Finally debt free after 4.5 years, thanks to my Debt Management Plan through Payplan. There is no better feeling :D

Great step by step guide .:)

I bet it took you ages to do

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Bookworm

A great Big Thank You from " the original Dummie"

I joined CAG in Jan 07 and I still didnt REALLY understand some of the things youve just explained.

My regret is that I didnt find this "BRILLIANT TUTORIAL" sooner (came across it today by mistake)

You Mods work tirelessly and selflessly for us all on here.

Im sure we all appreciate what you do even if we sometimes dont say thank you.

Regards

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Apologies to the people who were kind enough to post on that thread to say they liked it, but as I need to add more posts to it, I have had to move your posts out of the way. So they're here now. ;-) And thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. :-)

Methinks the info given regarding Number of Rep Clicks = Green Blobs is very misleading for Newbies!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1031268.html

Zillions of Rep Clicks from Newbies can be far out-weighed by just ONE Rep Click from someone who has 'earned' a tad more Rep Power!

Perhaps a more 'accurate' explaination could be added to the above Post??!...;):)

I take it that U are refering to this 'Stickie'??...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/22998-information-about-reputations-site.html

I prefer this Thread myself...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/37940-reputation-points.html

But here's the 'Definitive' guide...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/4297-reputations.html

So I ask again...Is it NOT misleading for Newbies, to be told that the Number of Rep Clicks = Green Blobs???

...Especially on a Thread that purports to be giving useful 'technical' site advice!...:confused:

Perhaps links to any/all of the above Threads could be added to the Post??

Nuances of the English language are often subtle + complex enough, without expecting Newbies to 'understand' extremely simplistic explanations + to be mind readers as well...:)

No. The title says "how to say thanks", and the post is to explain the meaning of the scales. What is unrealistic is for newbies to swallow all the intricacies of it all when they're still trying to come to grasps with how to get started.

As for posting links pointing it out, a visual thread is not the right place for it, IMO, and certainly not a necessity this early in the proceedings.

If I get 20 people all telling me "great work, but what I really wanted to know when I first came on this forum, having no idea even how to start posting, was how the rep system worked", then I'll tweak it. ;-)

Guest littlesally

Having been here for nearly a year I still don't understand the blobs!!

As far as I can see if you have made a couple of posts you can give about 1 point of rep to someone.

Then when you start to gain rep points yourself, your own rep power goes up.

I have three blobs which I think is about 5 points.

Somewhere on one of the threads it is said you gain more power with the length of time you are here, but I don't think this is true.

The most points I have been given in one go is 12. I think this is the highest you can go.

You need 100 points to gain a blob.

Anyone with any real knowledge about blobs is very secretive about them!

It is annoying that when anyone asks about them we are not answered.

Yes, I agree that a simple thanks is lovely, but when there is a system in place it would be good to know how it works

Being told it would confuse newbies is frankly not a good enough reason to not tell anyone.

And I too would like to know who gave me rep points. Site helpers and mods can see who gave them theirs, so why can't we?

Thank you MTM

Sally x

Site helpers and mods can see who gave them theirs, so why can't we?

That is quite incorrect. If you care to check the screenshot of my own rep panel, you will see that it is identical to everyone else's, with no indication of who repped me. That is why I said in the guide it is nice to sign your nick or initials to give an indication.

Please let's not turn this into yet another conspiracy theory of "them v us" for once, hey? ;-)

Guest littlesally

That was a minor point Bookie.

Although a S.H told me they could see who had given them points.

The questions are what do they mean, how do we get them, what are they worth etc? And would someone please explain.

These are simple questions and I don't want to fall out over this (having already been punished for asking questions)

Sally x

What do they mean: In principle, they should be an indication of the "worth" (wisdom? knowledge?) of the user. In reality, because of cliquey people repping one another for a witty response, it doesn't always work like this. I don't think the fault lies with the system, but with the people who choose to misuse it.

How do you get them, well, I think you know that, by people clicking on your scales. Some are worth more than others, but I couldn't start to tell you how they are done. For example, I can tell you that when I repped people, it used to instantly give them 2 extra green blobs, but after someone who shall remain nameless misused their access and "tweaked" the software, my rep "power" went right down and has never been restored.

What are they worth? Absolutely nothing in real terms, as I am sure you well know. Some people seem to obsess over them, some don't give a hoot.

Personally, I don't give a toss about the rep value of the person who clicks. A newbie saying thanks because I got them out of a spot is worth just as much, if not more, than an experienced user congratulating me on giving an elaborate answer.

I don't think there is such a thing as a secrecy over them, they simply don't matter greatly in the great scheme of things, when one has things like Hull and the OFT and Birmingham to worry about... ;-)

Guest littlesally

I agree about how much they are worth, of course a newcomer saying thanks is worth more than a moderator giving two blobs.

All that is being asked is how the system works.

Whenever the question is asked someone answers in a "I'm above that" way as if the person asking is blob obsessed.

Concern about Hull OFT and Birmingham does not mean I can't ask how something works!

It would be good if someone would update Bankfodders explanation as things have changed. Someone must know. Someone thought them up.

Please could we have a proper explanation somewhere.

Not because I am obsessed with them but because they are part of this site.

And let's face it, it is nice when someone does click and it is nice to click others.

Sally x

...Please let's not turn this into yet another conspiracy theory of "them v us" for once, hey? ;-)
???...No-one is suggesting a conspiracy theory...:confused: :o

I was querying the very simplistic Number of Rep Clicks = Green Blobs wording that U have used in your Post that I have already linked to.

It does NOT indicate to the Newbie that their 'Click' makes a miniscule, if any, difference to a Posters Reputation compared to a 'Click' by a more seasoned campaigner.

Therefore, Green Blobs per se, should NOT be encouraged to be viewed by a Newbie as the be all + end all of the quality of any advice given.

Likewise, neither should a Large Post Count be regarded as an indicator of quality!!!

P.S. Whilst acknowledging your comment Re: Disabling of Blobs for MODS/Site Helpers ...Why do some STILL have theirs activated + continue to solicit further Rep Clicks as per the contents of their Signatures??

Is it NOT enough that their position alone suggests their worth to a Newbie??

Perhaps thought should be given for it to be obligatory for ALL MODS/Site Helpers to Disable their Blobs + desist from their solicitations??

Guest littlesally

I agree MTM.

Maybe all clicks should give the same amount of points, after all they all mean a simple "thanks for helping me".

That way newbies will be helped more than trying to gain clicks from mods!

The idea that someones click can add two blobs to someones rep seems rediculous. Two blobs = 200 points. Maybe that was an error and the person who isn't named corrected it?

And why is it that when questions are asked the "conspiracy theory" gets mentioned?

Sally x