Agreement Enforceability

Peterbard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edited by Josie8

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Very sorry to hear youre leaving, mochamoo, please reconsider. I agree, this was a 100% friendly place a while back when everyone was basically 100% clueless as to the Law on so many points. A few are now (or believe they are) clued up and appear to be exhibiting EXACTLY the same haughty arrogance and snottiness to those still learning as the banks and their solicitors.:(

Please dont go, there will always be a few bad apples, but dont let them deprive you of the knowledge you have a right to. :)

Hi Peter- thanks for your reply. You are a font of knowledge and are much in demand!

In my case, (Barclaycard) the 1999 T&Cs are on a separate A4 size folded leaflet. The application form is a separate A4 size mailshot, no terms, just a sig box (credit agreement).

The T&C copy they sent me consists of photocopies of both sides of a leaflet, on two bits of A4, stapled together. I have a feeling they sent the terms to me with the card itself, but not sure.

I'll scan it tomorrow at the library and put it up here.

Peter do the prescribed terms on the 'application form' need to be on the signature page or can they be in the small print on the reverse side or just in totally seperate terms and conditions.

:confused: I have read the regulations which lay out the order in which the prescribed terms should be and the signature box comes last so I assume they have to be on the face of the document but are there any other regulations anywhere saying that they don't have to be?

hi

There is nothing in the regs that say the sig box has to be inthe same place as the financial detailsin pre 2004 agrements in fact the OFT says

Signatures All agreements are to be signed by both customer and trader, or their representatives,

and the date of signature entered. The customer’s signature and its date must be inside a box. This box can be of any size and appear anywhere in the agreement, but the wording inside it must be easily legible and must follow that for the appropriate type of agreement as set out in Appendix 2. The signature of the trader and its date must be outside the customer’s signature box. Similarly the signature of any witness, and its date, must also be outside the customer’s signature box.

. Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

Regarding the above this situation was remedied in the 1482 regs whe it says that the sig box must reside within the key information ,doesn't help you much i know .

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

dfw - In exactly the same situation as yourself with Egg. I take it that the next step would be to for them to prove that they sent the second notice containing the cancellable rights?

I also have another problem with Egg in that they have sent me a 'true' copy of the default notice which is significantly different from the original (which I have) which means that they have committed fraud by false representation for gain!

dfw - In exactly the same situation as yourself with Egg. I take it that the next step would be to for them to prove that they sent the second notice containing the cancellable rights?

You need to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) them for a FULL disclosure!! any thing what they have ever said wrote or sent you should be in it

I also have another problem with Egg in that they have sent me a 'true' copy of the default notice which is significantly different from the original (which I have) which means that they have committed fraud by false representation for gain!

talk about needing to stop digging when you are already in a hole :)

looks they are up it without a paddle :)

rgds

dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

dfw - already SAR'd them and information did not include second notice of cancellation rights.

vv - was different in layout, signed by different persona nd had different correspondence address for Egg.

1. dfw - already S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d them and information did not include second notice of cancellation rights.

2. vv - was different in layout, signed by different persona nd had different correspondence address for Egg.

1 GOOD then they cannot rely on it in court.

2 even better...sounds like a fraud to me !

rgds

dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Peter

I've got a problem with a credit card application/agreement. This one is confusing as it says Step 1 please read the Credit Card Agreement and sign in the ****e box. Then under the white box its says We CANNOT process the application without your signature. Also their name is typed in, so I signed afterwards. They have not dated it.

This was sent to me as a mailshot so I there was no contact when I applied for it. Don't know if this makes a difference. I didn't receive anything else from them until the card arrived.

Where do I stand on this one.

many thanks as always.

Sorry as well, I posted this on the wrong thread earlier, meant to put it on this one.

can you have a look over this agreement for me please, i'm not sure if it's unenforceable or improperly executed. what would i do if it's improperly executed? etc etc etc.

Comments and advice most welcome

I'm sorry but it looks 100% to me.

ALL the prescribed terms are there

the only thing missing would be cancellation rights .....but I guess you signed it in their office so its non-cancellable

I would imagine that rights of protection/remedies, default charges etc would be in the T&C

Dave

So, as the customer's sig need not be on the same page as the prescribed terms/financial details (in pre-2004 agreements) this would appear to imply that the prescribed terms can indeed be included on a separate page or simply embodied in the T&Cs, sent with my first Barclaycard, a week or so after the application was sent, as in my case.

Pretty much what a TS officer told me when I complained about just recieving a copy of the application form in reponse to my CCA request.

Mind you, he also told me that Tom Brennan had lost his claim against NatWest...

Seems a bit of a bum's rush when signature in a wee box on an application form (that claims to be an agreement) can legally bind you to a contract you havent actually read.

(At this point I went away and did some research)

But then, after reading this-http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft786a.pdf.

If a pre-2005 agreement (ie: one governed by Thatcher's 1983 SI amendment) was only signed by the customer, it isnt considered properly executed and so falls within the transitional arrangements, whereby damn near all agreements, which remained unexecuted by both parties at the time of the enactment of the 2004 regs, fall into the requirements of the 2004 regs.

So t'would seem that an awful lot of pre 2005 agreements are now utterly unenforceable...

No 1983 regs state the the prescribed terms must be in the signature document

dave

edit

sorry didnt fully read the post

Dave

Hi

My post don't come til after noon now used to be able to read it with me breakfast.What is this bloody country coming to

Sorry lost the plot

Regards

Petr

can you have a look over this agreement for me please, i'm not sure if it's unenforceable or improperly executed. what would i do if it's improperly executed? etc etc etc.

Comments and advice most welcome

HI

I havn't had time but have you checked the maths.

Also was the insurance optional or mandatory if the latter it should be in the tcc of the loan and not included in the credit.

I will have a more in depth look later

Regards

Peter

No 1983 regs state the the prescribed terms must be in the signature document

dave

edit

sorry didnt fully read the post

Dave

Unfortunately "document doesnt mean the same as same piece of paper.

Their is nothing in the 1983 regs that says it must be part of the financial details in fact in the contrary the OFT says the signature box can be located anywher whithin the document.

Best regards

Peter

Unfortunately "document doesnt mean the same as same piece of paper.

Their is nothing in the 1983 regs that says it must be part of the financial details in fact in the contrary the OFT says the signature box can be located anywher whithin the document.

Best regards

Peter

Hi peter

the point I was making was that the prescribed terms must be in the signature document....as opposed to burried in another document reffered to ie the T&C as a seperate doc.

I do realise that an agreement may stretch to more than one page.

all the best

dave