forced overdraft

garyking
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been with Nationwide for 3 years now, and I can only describe the service as shocking. When i opened the account, they told me that there was NO WAY that I could go overdrawn. Low and behold, as soon as their charges were due my account, which had no money in it, was suddenly £60 OVERDRAWN and I had a lovely letter telling me that I was being charged for going over my limit. I think that charging in this way is, forcing money out of you just because THEY THINK THEY CAN. Has this happeneed to anybody else?

Yes it has happened to me too. I have a basic cash card account with them, no cheque book or debit card and was also told I couldn't go overdrawn. But, of course, as soon as they wacked on the charges, I did, and go charged for the priviledge!

£949.54 reclaimed from Nationwide June 06

me too when i was struggling i asked for a temporary overdraft so i wouldnt get charges for been overdrawn.lo and behold 90 pounds charges making me overdrawn,seems they do it when it suits them.im in the process of of sending my dpa letter friday.i hate nationwide :mad:

Out of everything that has happened with me with the Nationwide over the last ten years this is what i hate the most about this account. i asked for an overdraft specifically to cover direct debits that i knew wouldn't be covered and was refused but next month when the bank charges for those refused direct debits came out and there wasn't enough in there to cover it the account was overdrawn. not only did this cause more direct debits to be refused i was charged £20 for an unauthorised overdraft!!! this has happened at least three times a year for the last six years so here i go to claim £1600 in charges back!!!

Claim it back they are robbing you!!!

oooeee

As a mathematics degree student i know their figures don't add up!!!! join the Revolution!!!

Nationwide Building society £1778.55 LBA sent 22.06.2006 Claim filed at Truro court 07/07/2006 for £1842.78 Acknowledgement recieved 19/07/2006 "intend to defend". £246.73 (interest on amount) paid into account 20/07/2006 Remaining £1595 paid into account 21/07/2006

Littlewoods catalogue looking into late charges. £80 of charges made phone call 16/07/2006 letter going out 21/07/2006

Out of everything that has happened with me with the Nationwide over the last ten years this is what i hate the most about this account. i asked for an overdraft specifically to cover direct debits that i knew wouldn't be covered and was refused but next month when the bank charges for those refused direct debits came out and there wasn't enough in there to cover it the account was overdrawn. not only did this cause more direct debits to be refused i was charged £20 for an unauthorised overdraft!!! this has happened at least three times a year for the last six years so here i go to claim £1600 in charges back!!!

Claim it back they are robbing you!!!

I already have (over £1k)!

£949.54 reclaimed from Nationwide June 06

• 3 years later...

It's a common trick for many banks. They add their charges before DD's are taken from the account, often these charges are added early in order to force you into overdraft so they can bounce the DD's or to take enough out so that there is not enough left to cover the DD's.

I had an account with Nationwide and Abbey National and Lloyds bank and they all did the same. All of my DD's came out on the last day of the month and the charges were due on the first day of the following month. On all 3 occasions, I had money to cover the DD's and knew that on the 1st, my wages would cover any charges that were due. When I got my statement, it showed 2 bounced DD's due to charges being added early.

Abbey National (Santander) Have yet to reply after 6 months of writing to them. Debt has been handed to a collection agency even though they have refused to reply.

Nationwide - ditto after a year of writing, now they are threatening me with some collection agency.

Lloyds - "due to the bank holiday, the charges were added early since they could not be added on the first of the month".

Hi i am in the same position as you, i have a £1200 overdraft, Nationwide demanded £600 of the balance with immediate effect that was in January this year, i am now at the point where they have asked me to cut my debit card up & to return my cheque book,& that they will now register this as a default !! kind of them !! i have sent my letter of appropriation & spread sheet of income/expenditure, they sent a reply that stated that they would not enter into approriation !!! what a joke :confused: prior to all of this detritic behaviour they used to pay my DD's early & slap the bank charges on !! creatures !!:p i have to say i have no faith in any of the banks, i am banking with nat west.....hold onto your hats lets see what the rides like !!

:D Ha !!!! i think your so right !!! i have found the CEO's email address of the Nationwide whilst i was browsing on here last time....should be interesting shouldnt it when he gets my rocket !! its heading very quickly in his direction :eek: letter of Appropriation ha he wont know whats hit him, i will invite them to come to court, it seems like a pretty good forum to air this problem :)

Just be careful of what you may be letting yourself in for. They can call on very high profile lawyers. I had a run in with a multi national company and no lawyer I approached would touch it once they knew who it was. I would suggest you get a lawyer who is willing to do it before you invite the CEO to court. Some of these CEO's have pocket fluff worth more than your lawyer could earn in a year.

MM i know !! im very cross, the banks seem to enjoy forcing people into poverty, i wouldnt have this debt if it had not been forced upon me :mad: i have sent a letter of appropriation which they laughed at GRRRRR !! now they are issuing a default notice even more GRRRRRRRRRR !! so where does this leave me CONFUSED.COM :(

It may be an idea to have a word with the local MP's. My local LibDem MP is trying to lobby for banks to be forced to curb it. He says that it primarily targets those who are least able to afford it. While it may just be voting propaganda, any course of action that may lead to a solution is worth a chance.