opinions on dating web sites

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend (honestly!) has just come out of a 7 year relationship -

She is very attaractive and young looking and has three grown up children.

I feel the dating websites can be useful but really think she just needs someone to chat to in the same position as herself as it is early days after the breakup. Her children hate her going on the date websites.

Be interested to hear of other peoples experiences- she is getting depressed as she thinks no-one will want her as she has children -she is managing to get out a couple of nights a week with friends - but as funds are low really needs other people to chat to.

any comments?

besides thank goodness the bear garden is back !!

Perhaps we could start a "singles bear garden thread":)

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

gosh - you are all quiet out there!

You must all be happily married or in long term relationships ?!:p :p

or perhaps you dont know the BEAR GArDEN IS OPEN!!:D

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

If she is looking to meet somebody else with children then dating sites may be a good idea as, like herself, people with children may decide to use those sites if they have to stay in with children.

If she is happy using the dating sites then there's certainly nothing wrong with it and I'm sure many people have got together through them or they wouldn't be so popular!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I worry a bit about her meeting people this way - but suppose if she is sensible and takes a friend the first time it is no different than meeting someone in a bar ?

It is just that on some sites there seems to be a lot of lies in the profiles - I hope she does not waste too much money finding the right site.

She is just a bit vunerable at the moment.

Jansus

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

My mum has been a member of various dating sites over the past year and judging by her experiences I would be very careful.

The main cause for concern are [problematic] who try their best to prey on vunerable lonley people and they are very good at what they do.

My mum was nearly conned by a guy who claimed to live in London with his 6 yr old autistic daughter.

When I checked his IP address he was actually in Nigeria.I confronted him and he became quite threatening.

So please tell your friend to exercise caution.

It may be a good idea to take a look at this website Internet Love Scams

My mum says its been like looking for a needle in a haystack in trying to find a genuine guy !

You need to read this if you have ever consolidated lending through your bank,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/49648-loans-pay-off-overdrafts.html

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) LETTER SENT15/12/06 - STATEMENTS RCD 22/12/06

PRE-LIM AND SOC SENT 11/01/07

FULL CLAIM OF £4093.04 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INT :)

JUST WAITING FOR STANDARD BOG OFF LETTER...:rolleyes:

LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!:lol:

LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR £2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!!:D ****

Member of the official Bill-K appreciation thread cos he's just ape !! :D

I guess she needs to just speak to people for a while before meeting them, make sure she speaks to them on the phone a few times first, also if she does decide to meet somebody then she should always tell somebody who she is meeting, where and when, and get somebody to phone her a short while into the date.

Unfortunately there are some idiots out there but as long as she is sensible she should be fine.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks for that -I will check your link

As I have been helping her look - it struck me how this way you are so quick to form opinions just on a photo - and I know the initial attraction is important but I was thinking that if I posted a photo of MOH people probably wouldnt contact him (Sorry hubby)- but as a partner he has been the best.

Also the men who post photos with their shirts off - yuk!

or photos obviously taken about 20 years before? sad.

Thats whats good about chatting on here you can get to know people without preconceptions.

Jansus

GSOH -sometimes

blonde- sometimes

curvy-always

adventurous- if I had half a chance

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Most of the [problematic] tend to use models portfolios so I guess if they look pretty hot then they aint the real mccoy !

My mum is 60 and when she had all these fit young blokes emailing her it was a bit of a giveaway lol !

The [problematic] are really good though,and my mum was in contact with one on a daily basis ,by phone and email and she was gutted when he turned out to be another [EDIT].

Must admit I was pretty blunt with him and I did rip a strip off him when I emailed him lol !!!

Hope things work out for your friend

Hope xx

You need to read this if you have ever consolidated lending through your bank,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/49648-loans-pay-off-overdrafts.html

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) LETTER SENT15/12/06 - STATEMENTS RCD 22/12/06

PRE-LIM AND SOC SENT 11/01/07

FULL CLAIM OF £4093.04 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INT :)

JUST WAITING FOR STANDARD BOG OFF LETTER...:rolleyes:

LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!:lol:

LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR £2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!!:D ****

Member of the official Bill-K appreciation thread cos he's just ape !! :D

well aside rom dating sites i must admit to having met some very good friends on general chat sites and one family in particular are now very close friends that we often go on holiday with and share birthdays and special occassions with despite being 150 miles apart. we always make the effort to meet up and all the kids enjoy the adventure.

I have met a lot of very good friends through chat sites so I would probably recommend joining chat sites or forums that deal with a subject your mum is interested in. that way you cut the possibilty of finding [problematic] down considerably as they are more likely to be genuine people that at least share a common interest or problem rather than people who are just looking to get laid

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

I once seen a T.V. prog on Ch4 about a Bloke in the U.S. who 'married' a pony!

But 'dating' a website?...Is that even legal???...lol...:D

Ha Ha LOL:D :rolleyes:

You are right - I was so excited at seeing the bear garden was back forgot basic grammar. But at least I dont write whole threads without punctuation. Yet!

Or maybe its just you milktrayman? Everybody else knew what I meant?:-) (XFILES MUSIC)

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I met my THIRD wife through the internet (nuff said really:o )

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

I met my husband off the internet, not a dating site tho, and my dad met his wife off the internet too.

But to be fair, that was in the day of chat rooms!

[COLOR=royalblue]Halifax......WON 16/7/07 :D [/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Nationwide...WON 16/7/07 :D [/COLOR] [CENTER][URL="http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/sections187and45/"][B][SIZE=4]Please sign this Downing Street petition on Bank Charges and Benefits[/SIZE][/B][/URL][/CENTER]

I met my husband off the internet, not a dating site tho, and my dad met his wife off the internet too.

But to be fair, that was in the day of chat rooms!

Thats very encouraging

I think that is what I was asking as well - are there any good chat rooms out there for singles?

I have told my friend about the [problem] above and funnily enough it had already happened on one of the sites - people sending photos and details that were blatant lies. Sad really because when you are lonely you look forward to each email.

I found one website where the children aspect is not such a problem (parents already ) So have told her about that.

Jansus:-)

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I just need to get rid of Mr Bally , give it a go and then voice an opinion.

Any websites got tips for getting rid of husband???

thought about that - but after looking through some of the photos and some of the comments written on the sites - I think its definitely a case of "grass greener"!

Try looking on the spice girl thread there are good hints for disposal if you manage it!:lol:

jansus

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I actually met Mrs Slayer through Friends Reunited. We went out for 3 years as teenagers, didn't see each other for 21 years.

Now been married for 3 1/2 years, one son aged 2 and a bit.

Personally I would not choose internet dating as a means of meeting safe and reliable people as it obviously attracts the wrong kind of people wanting a quick route to sex or worse. Having said that, dating services have been around for years and there have been very few reported cases of anything untoward happening. You stand as much chance of picking up a rapist/conman/married man in a nightclub.

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

...maybe its just you milktrayman? Everybody else knew what I meant?:-) (XFILES MUSIC)
EVERYONE??!!...:o

Mmmm...Reminds me of something someone once said in the old 'B' film 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers'! (...TWILIGHT ZONE MUSIC)...lol...:D:p

I actually met Mrs Slayer through Friends Reunited. We went out for 3 years as teenagers, didn't see each other for 21 years.
Now isn't that a strange thing...it's the same for me and Mrs Spice, and the 21 years gap is also the same...cue Twilight Zone music...

Personally I think dating sites are a poor option...much better to join clubs and things that are local. For one thing you have common interests with other members, other than being on the lookout for a new partner, and the security aspects are better - you are invariably in a public place, with other people, and are open to feedback from other members about the character of the person you are interested in...

And if it doesn't work out, then you still have some new friends for support and continuation of your new social life...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Or if Jansus's friend "needs a man" that much, there's always Annsummers.com ;)

Or if Jansus's friend "needs a man" that much, there's always Annsummers.com ;)

apparently she is allergic to latex!

Too much information I said!!:eek:

jansus

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

EVERYONE??!!...:o

Mmmm...Reminds me of something someone once said in the old 'B' film 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers'! (...TWILIGHT ZONE MUSIC)...lol...:D:p

sorry you lost me there :confused: - I am not that old:rolleyes:

What does "cos" mean - saw it in your BB threads - is it a type of lettuce?

or do you write in text language?:)

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I guessed that!

Just checking it was not some strange abbreviation used on this site that I had not cottoned on to ! :D

there are so many that its easy to get confused . On one thread LOL seemed to mean :D :D :D

and at the same time Lots of Love? some people could get muggled:rolleyes:

let alone SAR /LBA etc etc.:confused:

jansus

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE