us v the Abbey for £7,500***WON***

ohoh4312
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Jo,

they are rubbish Abbey should be in the dictonary in place of the word idiots!

As they have delayed me I have maxed my overdraft with spending the money on things for Amy! They can F!*K of if they think they going to get it all back before the case is sorted, like you they can have small regular payments and like it :D

Hope you are well!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i agree with u abbey are worse than rubbish icy i do hope your right cos my charges keep going up and up next month 200 pounds charges how they expect u to pay your bills i dont know when they take that much out of the wage before we get it hope everything welkl in icy land and with u jo long time eh :)xxkia

Hi Adam/Icy/Lee/Kia et al

Great to hear from you guys, even if it is, as always, to placate one of my (many) rants!;)

Yes they are idiots, but also a lot worse....................

They are bare-faced liars.:mad: Tried the card again in various ways, and it was consistently declined.:mad: So they obviously are playing silly bu**ers again.

I shall wait for the inevitable letter from the Fraud Squad - sent by snail mail no doubt - and then I am going to make an official complaint to the Ombudsman, and I shall probably submit a letter to the press also.

You would think that they would have bigger concerns at the moment, instead of concentrating on victimising customers who dare to challenge them and move their accounts?? Barstewards.

Anyway, ICY, I trust the wedding went well, and that married life is bliss? And bloody well done on your win - it may not have been the breakthrough we all hoped for, but it is still great news and I am very pleased for you.

And proud daddy Lee - nappy-land is also bliss I take it?;) Best wishes to you both and of course to baby Amy.

Kia - sorry they are still "doing you over" - so much for their revised T & C's eh; it is still an extortion racket, whatever way you dress it up. Chin up hun - like I said before, I am convinced that we WILL have the last laugh (just wish it would bloody well hurry up and happen though!)

Adam - I hope you are keeping well, and keeping on keeping on, as they say!

Best regards all

Jo xx

ps Anyone know what happenned to my thread title?? It seems to have gone a bit pear-shaped.:confused:

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

• 8 months later...

Hello all

LONG long time no speak, so hope you are all well.

Erm.......................

I am uber-peed off actually and need some advice - but hey whats new??!!

shAbbey have cancelled my overdraft and sent me a default notice, demanding that the full balance is paid within 7 days. Obviously I cannot pay it in full, ( I could have if the whole Test Case fiasco hadn't happenned:mad:), so I really don't know what to do, apart from waiting for the baliffs to knock at the door!

Excuse me for being a bit thick here (!) but do I have any options open to me? The only way I could pay it would be to not pay the mortgage this month, or eat, but I don't suppose that would bother them.

Any advice, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Hi Termi

New bank account has been up and running since Jan this year, so shAbbey account not being used, apart from small payments to reduce the overdraft.

I fully admit that I have not paid as much as I should have done, but there is just not enough to go around anymore.

So now they will keep throwing charges at the account, and I will never be able to pay it off.

Jo :confused::mad:

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

OMG Jo - how've you been?

Co-op have just done the same to me. I wrote back telling them that the balance was made up of charges and that I could only afford to pay £50 (and that's pushing) it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from as I only wrote to them via secure message, yesterday.

I would call them and make a payment arrangement of something you can afford each month. Tell them that defaulting you whilst the account is in dispute will not get the balance paid off any quicker.

Hope you can get it resolved soon.

deedee x

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

Hi Jo

If it helps, the claim I've got running against Abbey (Tish vs Abbey) follows a very similar path to yours.

To cut a long story short, ultimately Abbey transferred Tish's debt to a 3rd party agency who were actually very good at agreeing and managing repayments with Tish. They were quite happy to agree payments that Tish could actually afford, and which were considerably less than Abbey had been demanding. The debt is actually paid off now, but is of course still subject to the on-going Court saga.

The point is, Jo, that if Abbey did the same thing with your 'debt', I would assume they would use the same agency (which is actually owned by them I think), and things would in all probability not be as bad as you envisage.

Hope that helps, Jo

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Hello all

LONG long time no speak, so hope you are all well.

Erm.......................

I am uber-peed off actually and need some advice - but hey whats new??!!

shAbbey have cancelled my overdraft and sent me a default notice, demanding that the full balance is paid within 7 days. Obviously I cannot pay it in full, ( I could have if the whole Test Case fiasco hadn't happenned:mad:), so I really don't know what to do, apart from waiting for the baliffs to knock at the door!

Excuse me for being a bit thick here (!) but do I have any options open to me? The only way I could pay it would be to not pay the mortgage this month, or eat, but I don't suppose that would bother them.

Any advice, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Jo xx

Hey Jo!

Is the overdraft made up entirely or mainly of disputed charges? If so they shouldn't be attempting to enforce it.

You should write to them pointing out that the debt is in dispute and as such all enforcment action should be suspended. There's 3 things you can refer to in the letter to support your case:

1) The judgment in the case of Carlisle v Clydesdale (attached) in which a high court judge expressed the view that stays should only remain in place for so long as enforcment action is not pursued in respect of disputed charges. Enclose a copy of the judgment with the letter and highlight paragraphs 11 and 12.

2) The FSA waiver. As you probably know, there is an exemption to the waiver where financial hardship is involved. If the enforcement of what is a disputed debt leaves you with a straight choice between paying it and paying the mortgage, this is undeniably a case of financial hardship. Threaten to complain to the FSA and copy them in on your letter.

3) The Banking Code. Refer to paragraph 13.5, which states that adverse data should not be passed to credit reference agencies where the debt is in dispute. In other words, they should not be defaulting you over a disputed debt.

Incidentally, don't worry about bailiffs knocking - they'd have to get a county court judgment before they can do that, and they won't get one of those because if they file a claim you could apply for, and would get, a stay.

Good luck!

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

How remiss of me - thank you all for your advice, especially garyh. I have been up to my eyes in stuff (debt, mainly) and forgot to post back to say thanks.

So I wrote to them using the points above - I didnt offer to pay anything, just said that there was no way I could pay it in full immediately, as they were demanding.

No reply, then last week I get a letter from drms, their in-house dca, again demanding the full amount in 7 days or else! Lovely people aren't they.:mad:

So I have told them the same thing, account in dispute, financial hardship etc etc, and am awaiting a reply.

I have also written to mr coyle requesting a payment under hardship grounds - that way they will get the whole bloody lot back and get off my case. But not holding my breath on that one!

I am so worn out with worry and stress, if they wanted to make me br I wouldn't argue.

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Humph!:mad:

Threatening letter received today from dmrs - this letter requires your urgent attention, the sum shown must be paid immediately etc etc etc

Even though I have PoD for the letter I sent them - do they think I am that stupid?!

"This matter will not go away so please do not ignore this letter."

What, like they ignored mine??!!

The best bit is at the bottom where it lists what could happen if this matter was referred to an external recovery agent:

"A charging order against your property" - that would be great cos then they would get diddly squat as I practically owe more than it's worth!!

Where to now folks?

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

FFS:mad:

Sorry, truly sorry, but I have just noticed a very important point:

The letter is dated 13 November 2008

Today is the 20th.

Exactly 7 days from date of writing to date of receipt.

They really know how to try and screw you, don't they?:mad:

Spitting feathers here - cos the next thing will be "you failed to respond" etc etc - well screw you shabbey; I am filing for bankruptcy and you won't get a penny if I have anything to do with it.

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Update (of sorts):

dmrs - not heard a peep from them since their last lovely missive, but as it takes them a week to write and send a letter, I should be due one next week I guess. I have the PoD for my account in dispute letter, signed for on 14 November, so we shall see what response, if any, I get.

Mr coyle at Triton House - well.............my hardship letter to him was sent the same day as the one to dmrs, recorded delivery also. But it has NOT been delivered - according to Royal Mail it has either been, quote, "refused (!!) or lost." But also, "an item is not officially considered lost or otherwise undelivered until 15 working days have elapsed from the date of posting."

Bloody ridiculous (sorry peeps.)

So, do I resend it by special dely, as advised by the PO - it can still be refused by the recipient though, or what?

Any ideas folks please?

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Letter from dmrs today, headed "PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER."

I have composed a letter in response, but would really like some help/advice/guidance on this - pleeeease!

This is what I was going to send:

I write in response to your letter of 24/11/08, (received 29/11/08), referenced above.

I am most perturbed to find that your letter opens with the demand “PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER.” I am NOT ignoring it, nor did I ignore your previous letter of 03/11/08. I did not respond to your further letter of 13/11/08 however (not received by me until 20/11/08), as I thought you would have responded to MY letter in the meantime.

In fact I wrote to you on the 9th November 2008, and sent the letter by Recorded Delivery. I have Proof of Delivery that says the letter was received and signed for at your offices on 14th November 2008.

So, you seem to be ignoring this fact, and the contents of said letter, which I find wholly unprofessional and downright rude.

I will reiterate that this account is IN DISPUTE – I have a stayed Court Claim against Abbey National for over £6,000 in charges, plus interest, and if you can be bothered to read my previous letter then you will see that I have explained why you should not be taking action against me.

This letter will be sent by Special Delivery, guaranteed for delivery before 1pm on Tuesday 2nd December, and I will receive a copy of the receiving party’s signature, therefore I would be grateful if you would refrain from insulting my intelligence any further by ignoring it or claiming not to have received it.

Should you decide to continue to ignore me, then I will have no option but to make a formal complaint to the FSA and the FOS.

I look forward to a reply, as opposed to yet another demand for payment, by return.

Any thoughts? Anything I should add - or take out?:confused:

Help greatly appreciated, and desperately needed please.

Edited by ohoh4312
cut & paste went pear-shaped!

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

I don't know - but should you not be also writing to the Abbey itself as well as copying in the FSA - just going on what Gary posted back in October.

Essentially, that if they are now pursuing enforcement action, you will return to the courts to ask for the stay to be removed in accordance with the judgment in the case of Carlisle v Clydesdale?

Hope you get an answer soon - I'm rather hoping someone will be able to answer my queries to because too much of this worrying and hassle just wears you down.

Guess it's what the banks hope will happen.

Thanks phoenix - sent the letter, and have stated that I will apply to have stay lifted if they continue to enforce etc etc

Good point about writing to shabbey themselves - they shouldn't have passed the debt over for enforcement, so I am on the case and doing that letter.

Will drop by on your thread in a mo, but don't know if I can help.

I posted this in the RBS forum this morning, and don't want to get told off for posting threads all over the place;) but it MAY be some good news, providing all the banks involved follow the same route:

BBC NEWS | Business | Bank plans for overdraft refunds

Here's hoping!!

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Hi Jo,

long time no speak.............sounds like you're having a nightmare with the Abbey still:mad::mad:

but it looks to me like you're doing the right thing with these letters, although I'm no expert

keep smiling hun:p

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

CF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey my long-lost stalking buddy (!!) how the devil are you?

I really feel like the shabbey hate me; actually I feel like life hates me at the moment, but with them its personal.

Going to the docs tomorrow to see if he can help me out - not sleeping at all, permanently stressed and suffering from major panic attacks, so becoming a bit housebound. Not a nice way to be.

I doubt even with medical evidence they would show any sympathy - devoid of any feelings must be an essential quality to work for them.

Rambling again - sorry all

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

• 2 weeks later...

No replies to my letters - what a surprise, but this morning yet another threatening letter arrives, marked "Do Not Ignore.":mad:

I was so mad that I just called dmrs:

them: asks for account no, then tells me she can't talk to me because a/c is in OH's name only

me: its a joint account - says so on all the letters you have sent me

them: oh yes...well anyway, are you calling to make a payment?

me: no, I am calling to ask why you continually tell me not to ignore you, when you have ignored all contact from me

them: we haven't had any contact from you (FFS!)

me: I have PoD for letter etc etc on 14/11

them: we've not received anything

me: someone signed for it on 14/11

them: you probably sent it wrong address

me: quote address

them: erm....yes that's here.....hold on

.......long wait........

them: I don't have a number for the post room and they are not on same floor as me (marvellous - what a mickey-mouse outfit that is then!), what did your letter say?

me: that the account is in dispute etc etc

them: you do know complaints are not being handled? you do know about the High Court case blah blah blah

me: you can't enforce the debt while the account is in dispute, quoting the carlisle judgement etc

them: was that judgement in your case?? (:rolleyes:)

me: no, but...

them: (interrupts) well, we ARE allowed to chase you, and will continue to do so - the account will be passed back to Abbey who will then sell it on, you will be chased by an external agency and a default will be registered on your file, is that okay?

me: absolutely fine - hangs up.

I am SOOOO angry - its like talking to the wall.

Where to now? Apart from the madhouse?:confused:

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

• 1 month later...

Hi all - Happy New Year and all that!

Welcome to my latest installment:rolleyes: - actually I am not laughing, because this is doing nothing for my already severely depressed state.:sad:

shabbeys in-house threat monkeys dmrs seem to have given up, and passed the account back to shabbey, if thats possible as they are all the same firm, but anyway;

I received a letter yesterday from Milton Keynes (dated 6th Jan), informing me that they intend to register a default on my credit file in 28 days from the 6th Jan.

The letter then goes on to explain the role of CRA's and how lenders use the information etc. Must think I am a complete numpty.

So, what do I do? Any letters sent previously have been totally ignored, but I think I really need to give them a heads up on this - the amount they are chasing is less than 1/3 rd of my court claim:mad:.

Any advice on a good letter that might actually get read by someone?? My credit file is shot to bits, so I am not worried about that, but it's the fact that they should not be taking any action against me.

All advice greatly appreciated as always, thanks.

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009