Student Loans and disability

SeTi^
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all,

My loans were pre 97. I have deferred regularly up until last year when I had an extension built to my house. I forgot the deferment forms because I wasn't receiving my mail regularly at that time.

In 2005 i sent SLC my medical records saying that I have a chronic illness, multiple sclerosis, and that it is unlikely that I would work again, well I definetly won't get better.

My question is shouldn't these loans be quashed by now and also as I am disabled through no fault of my own shouldn't they be over and done with ?

Thank you for your responses,

SeTi

From my own experience of SLC they will defer your loan for 3 years at a time if you prove that you are disabled. IE in receipt of any type of disability benefit.

When I started claiming DLA I sent the "Entitlement Letter" to them with a covering letter and they deferred me for 3 years.

The only way you can get the loans written off now is with a Doctors letter stating that you will NEVER work again. "Highly unlikely" won't cut it with them, I've tried!

I've just sent my SAR to them, just to see what they have on me. Once that's received I intend to send my letter from my GP and see if they will write it off.

Good Luck.

:)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

I meant to say.

Whilst you are in receipt of Disability Benefits and have the three year deferrment in place they should NOT chase you for any payments that should have been made during the non-deferred period.

Have you sent them proof of your disablement? Are you deferred now? For what period?

They are a bit sneaky, in that they don't (willingly) tell you all this, but i can assure you I have the rules here and that's what they say!

:D

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)