limitation act - fraudulently claiming??

carinas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Query Re Limitation act

Have filed court claim and recieved defendants defence stating limitation act applies. I know i can state S32 - concealed cause of action, but this creditor have admitted to me & the court they cannot produce a copy of the agreement. Now i'm thinking - does this mean that they we're unfairly taking repayments from me when they did not have an enforcable agreement? this would therefore mean that they were fraudulently claiming from me? S32.1 A would apply? or have i totally misunderstood the meaning of fraudulently claiming?

thoughts anyone ?

£914.00 unfair bank charges recovered from NatWest after 1st letter :)

£255.00 unfair bank charges recovered from RBS after 1st letter :)

Welcome Finance cannot supply original agreement, N1 issued for charges, PPI & interest total over £3k :cool:

Woolwich 2 defaults removed, 1 ccj removed. My credit file is now clean :D

Sec.32 provides for a postponement of the 6 year limitation period in the case of the debt having being accrued due to the fraud or concealment of the nature of it by defendant or because it was paid under a mistaken belief that the defendant was lawfully entitled to it.

In this case, the 6 year limitation period will start from the time when the claimant became aware of the fraud, concealment or mistake, or at such time as he could, or should, have reasonably discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

The limitation Act provides that contractual debts are statute barred at a point six years after the cause of action arose - ie; when the debt was run up.

Sec.32 postpones the start of the limitation period until such time as the fraud, concealment or mistake was, should or could have been discovered with reasonable dilligence, so it's six years from that point at which the debt becomes statute barred.

Where precisely that point of discovery should be will be dependent on the facts of the individual case and what would have been reasonable in the circumstances. The concensus of opinion on here seems to be that, as general guidance, the date of publication of the OFT report into credit card charges of May last year would probably be a reasonble starting point.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Would you say bank penalties were a ' contractual debt' then?

Yes, because they were applied under the purported terms of your banking contract and the bank claims they either constitute charges for providing a service or to cover their costs incurred due to your breach of the contract.

P.

I take your point, although I might perhaps suggest that the penalties cannot be deemed a 'service' even though they may imply in their T & C's that a charge may be made at £x for a breach of contract. Which is your second point of course.

The wonders of the fine - print perhaps?

Thanks.