Trouble getting my deposit back from my ex-landlord!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help!!

My ex-landlord owes me £625 from about a year ago. I've been trying to get it back but to no avail... On the 20th may i sent a recorded delivery letter asking for it back - but still no response..

I no longer have the tenancy agreement but I can prove i lived there though council tax and direct debit payments etc.

Do I have a chance of getting it back?

Thanks

Sequenci!

I would send a letter stating that he has 14 days to respond or you will start court proceedings, use the LBA letter here to get some idea of what to write but amend it accordingly.

Natalie

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Hi all!

Sequenci,I am very sorry to read about your problem with your ex-landlord.

I would like to say the following:

1.I would agree with what Natalie has posted and give your ex-landlord up to 1 month to cough up.

2.Always send lettersby Recorded Delivery and make sure you have kept copies of the letters and the Recorded Delivery stubs - copies should be made and attached to your Summons if he has not paid you within 1 month of the Letter before Action.

3.Also I suggest that you follow my other previous postings regarding the best ways to deal with this problem.

Also,

a.Do you have proof of payment of the amount either in the form of a receipt,cheque number or account to account transfer?

This would also be very useful.

b.The other way around it would be that you make an court order on your former landlord to provide a copy of the tenancy agreement.

4.By the doing this and in the case of not having any written proof of payment as mentioned above - the court will on the balance of the probabilities believe you

and not your ex-landlord.

5.Remember for a civil case - like a landlord/tenant dispute the burden of proof is much less.What I trying to say is do not worry too much because to go to court is a very daunting prospect for many people and just by doing this you are more than likely "beleved than not believed".

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

• Confused 1

a.Do you have proof of payment of the amount either in the form of a receipt,cheque number or account to account transfer?

that i do!

i'll give him a month and then send a letter about the court action. it's not like he is short of a few quid, he is a millionaire!

thanks for your help! :)