Contractual interest - cases anyone?

PhantomReclaimer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Northern Rock are steadfastly refusing to settle my claim on the basis of contractual interest at 11.8% - their authorised overdraft rate. I've provided them with good reasons why I believe I'm entitled to it - implied terms of fairness and reasonableness and that it would be unjust to allow the bank to profit from their own unlawful actions - but they are maintaining the position that, should I win, I would only be awarded 8% by the Court.

Does anyone have any cases off the top of their heads that I can quote to back up my position? I had a look at the "why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest thread" but it's up to something like 1,700 posts and will take me about a week to read through.

Cheers,

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Not sure about specific case law but this thread is a good example of someone who made some excellent arguements and won http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/33005-bong-hsbc-contractual-interest.html

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

The leading case in this area is Westdeutsche v Islington. Compound interest was refused. You can distinguish that case on the grounds that in Westdeutsche the bank did not receive the money in circumstances where their conscience was affected so the court refused to impose a trust. whereas with charges the banks are acting unlawfully this will give the necessary ingredient of affected conscience to impose a trust and therefore allow compound interest to be awarded.