Spinningfish V The Woolwich

spinningfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

(a) that the creditor shall have informed my Office in writing of his general intention to enter into agreements to which the Determination will apply;

Cant get my head around what this means!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bank tells the OFT that they wish to take advantage of the determination made in respect of overdrafts, but then they are meant to comply with it ....

Hi

Sorry to sound dumb bu twhy would it be an advantage to the banks?

The determination for overdrafts means that the banks then don't have to comply with the full requirements of the CCA, they just need to 'notify' you of the terms of the overdraft, I think the interest rate, limit and any time limit, plus arrangements for paying it back. The notification I think can be by letter but I'm not 100% certain of that.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

any news on this? I'm stuck with a 3k overdraft with natwest on an account i've had since 1978 (the account not the overdraft). I'm now not able to pay it back and having successfully challenged natwest on a loan and a credit card...this is the only one left.

Are there templates for overdrafts (knowing they have exemptions from CCA) asking for proof that they notified the OFT of the determination? If that is my correct understanding...

Thanks in advance for anything!

Hi I don't know iof this helps any it is from the DTI as it was.

HI This is regarding bank overdrafts and your rights when ordering a statement under section77

Dear Mr Bardsley

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974 (the Act)

Thank you for your emails of 15 March 2007, concerning overdrafts, and of 22 March 2007, concerning credit card agreements, which have been passed to me to reply. I apologise for the delay in replying.

I should note that unfortunately the Office of Fair Trading (the OFT) cannot comment on or intervene in individual matters. This is because such actions fall beyond the remit of the OFT and because the OFT cannot be aware of all of the relevant information in each instance. Similarly, the OFT cannot comment or express a view on particular practices, save where the OFT has considered a practice in the round and its view is in the public domain. The following points are therefore general in nature.

Overdrafts are normally not subject to those elements of the Act governing form and content of an agreement. This is because the OFT has issued a Determination under Section 74(3) of the Act excluding overdraft agreements from the need to comply. As a result of this there is usually no written agreement that a consumer can request under Section 78 of the Act. However, I should note that any Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination must notify the OFT of its intention to do so and is required to provide information to the prospective debtor. Specifically, the creditor must provide, in writing, at the time the agreement is concluded or before details of the credit limit if any, the annual rate of interest and any charges available, and the process for terminating the agreement. Typically banks make such information readily available via a variety of media on an ongoing basis.

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination

This bit is so confusing what does it mean?

This bit is so confusing what does it mean?

Hi

I always took it to mean that any bank wishing to lend one of their punters an overdraft without haveing to comply with the section iv of the ACT as per secton 74,and thus get away without having to make a writen agreement.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

any Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination must notify the OFT of its intention to do so and is required to provide information to the prospective debtor.

Ok does this mean that there is a register that can be checked to see if and when a bank has done this?

Does it mean that when the od is agreed the customer should in some way be informed that this is the case?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

un1boy, HAK,Craftygirl and those of you who may have challenged this in court, what were the outcome and/or any updates available for this.

I may take on the battle too, I was employed by a bank and during the recruitment process we were advised that we had to take out a bank account as part of the recruitment process. Also whenever I needed an overdraft increase I just got a colleague to increase the limit, seemed ok to do this at the time but my pont is I don't think I was every sent confirmation or details in writing and just a couple of weeks ago my overdraft limit was reduced from £2500 to £0 without prior warning and because I was already upto my limit I have incurred all sorts of charges and interest.

Regards

Pinny

My Case has been adjurned but i still believe they have to supply some sort of agreement if it goes to Court.

HAK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anymore updates on this folks, as the NW are messing me around something shocking with regards my OD.

HAK, did the court mention what document they would be asking the bank to supply in court?

Im just curious about how best to take the fight back to the bank.

Thanks,

meerkat x

• 1 month later...

HSBC - Successfully Claimed back Charges & Interest £1265

Barclaycard Successfully Claimed back Charges & Interest £400

Abbey - Successfully Claimed back PPI £960

HAK, did the court mention what document they would be asking the bank to supply in court?

Hi

My case never got to Court as it was settled by mediation!!

HAK

Hi

My case never got to Court as it was settled by mediation!!

HAK

HAK

Does this mean that you won? What happened in your case?

MRS_P