Spinningfish V The Woolwich

spinningfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I'll check my papers later.

The account was "upgraded" to a student account in 2002, everything stayed the same except the overdraft limits and lack of interest charged!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether you're the same as me Un1, but when I sent my SAR, all I received were literally just transaction details for the last six years, and a list of charges.

When they put the account through Heatons LLP solicitors, I sent a CCA request, recorded delivery, and never heard from any of them again.

I don't know whether you're the same as me Un1, but when I sent my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), all I received were literally just transaction details for the last six years, and a list of charges.

When they put the account through Heatons LLP solicitors, I sent a CCA request, recorded delivery, and never heard from any of them again.

I have written confiramtion that they don't have the original current account or overdraft applciation forms.

The sar was pretty comprehensive, but doesn't have the letter they allege they can produce to satisfy their legal obligations - I don't see how producing a letter issued in 2000 for an overdraft when the overdraft was chagned in 2002 can satisfy their legal obligations.

I am reluctant to acknowledge the debt, so don't really want to mention that to them anyway!!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Hi

Overdrafts are normally not subject to those elements of the Act governing form and content of an agreement. This is because the OFT has issued a Determination under Section 74(3) of the Act excluding overdraft agreements from the need to comply. As a result of this there is usually no written agreement that a consumer can request under Section 78 of the Act. However, I should note that any Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination must notify the OFT of its intention to do so and is required to provide information to the prospective debtor. Specifically, the creditor must provide, in writing, at the time the agreement is concluded or before details of the credit limit if any, the annual rate of interest and any charges available, and the process for terminating the agreement. Typically banks make such information readily available via a variety of media on an ongoing basis.

I went through all this with my sons student account,.Bank accounts of course are not covered by the cca as they are regulated by the FSA and there fore do not have to produce documents asked for under that act with the above acception because the overdraft is unfortunately due to it's exception from part 5 their is no agreement as such so none can be provided .

In the end i just sent them a letter as advised by the FOS saying that i was willing to go to court over the amount of interest they had charged and they would have to provide the orriginal agreement whether it was covered by the cca or not. I recieved a letter a week or so later saying that they had decided it was not in their interests because of the costs involved to pursue this any further and that was that.

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

Overdrafts are normally not subject to those elements of the Act governing form and content of an agreement. This is because the OFT has issued a Determination under Section 74(3) of the Act excluding overdraft agreements from the need to comply. As a result of this there is usually no written agreement that a consumer can request under Section 78 of the Act. However, I should note that any Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination must notify the OFT of its intention to do so and is required to provide information to the prospective debtor. Specifically, the creditor must provide, in writing, at the time the agreement is concluded or before details of the credit limit if any, the annual rate of interest and any charges available, and the process for terminating the agreement. Typically banks make such information readily available via a variety of media on an ongoing basis.

I went through all this with my sons student account,.Bank accounts of course are not covered by the cca as they are regulated by the FSA and there fore do not have to produce documents asked for under that act with the above acception because the overdraft is unfortunately due to it's exception from part 5 their is no agreement as such so none can be provided .

In the end i just sent them a letter as advised by the FOS saying that i was willing to go to court over the amount of interest they had charged and they would have to provide the orriginal agreement whether it was covered by the cca or not. I recieved a letter a week or so later saying that they had decided it was not in their interests because of the costs involved to pursue this any further and that was that.

Best regards

Peter

Is it right though, that if they tried to take someone to court they would have to provide the original documentation?

I have had a different experience with the FOS and I am scared now that they will try to take me to court.....I go and counterclaim that I want to see the original letter/application and the Judge throws it out?

What you reckon?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hi

In My opinion

If you are taking a bank to court to query charges irrespective of whether the agreement is covered by the cca they will need to prove that you agreed to those terms of business.I do not see how they can do this withut producing the agreement. They may be able to prove that you had the money but they cannot prove you agreed to the interest rates etc.

Regards

Petr

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

HI Again

Maybe the difference was where i was querying the interest on a student account not the ballance owed.(Although the two werevirtually the same)

Just a thought

Best

regards

Peter

Interesting point. So, if they have not provided detailed information in respect of the overdraft, as a result of the SAR sent, then they are in breach of the data protection act?

Essentially they need to prove that WE agreed to having an overdraft on the account in order to chase the debt.

• 3 months later...

So,

Peter - are we saying here that if they cannot produce your signed agreement to the rate and its variable state, we could be in a position to claim back any interest charged on an overdraft?

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Hi

The bank are not required to give an agreement as per the previos posting however they are suposed to advise he debtor of the terms of the overdraft prior to it's commencement.

You would not be able to request this using a cca 77 request as this particular item is not mentioned an SAR might prove more fruitful. It is possible that if you could say that the bank did not provide this (This is a big if)information then you could say that you did not agree to the amount of interest charged or whatever. In which case you would IMO be justified in filing a claim for a refund

Besrt regards

Petr

• 10 months later...

I have a trial this week testing this re an overdraft -the bank did not give me the required info, cannot prove they did (only a note on the system saying they did, apparently) but nothing showing what was on the alleged letter.

Since I claimed against them saying that sec 78 applies as they have not complied with the OFT's determination, they have counterclaimed. The judge at the allocation hearing said that they may have walked into sec 127 themselves by counterclaiming -ill let you know how it goes.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Why would they have walked into it themselves?:confused:

Does that mean that the judge was saying you would have lost if they hadn't counterclaimed?:eek:

No - they were basically saying that I was "pre-emptive" by claiming against them before they calimed against me.

He then said that they have walked in the unenforcability factor of section 127 by counterclaiming.

He was effectively saying that if I was bringing the claim aginst them without them claiming agsint me, it would have probably been morem difficult, but the fact that they have claimed now forces the court to go through section 127.

The judge kind of understood the points of my claim, but not exaclty.....the end result was what I wanted though, so I didn't really press it more.

He did say, they "may have". Obviously, he couldn't give judgement because it was an allocation hearing.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

No - they were basically saying that I was "pre-emptive" by claiming against them before they calimed against me.

He then said that they have walked in the unenforcability factor of section 127 by counterclaiming.

He was effectively saying that if I was bringing the claim aginst them without them claiming agsint me, it would have probably been morem difficult, but the fact that they have claimed now forces the court to go through section 127.

The judge kind of understood the points of my claim, but not exaclty.....the end result was what I wanted though, so I didn't really press it more.

He did say, they "may have". Obviously, he couldn't give judgement because it was an allocation hearing.

ok well hope it goes your way................................:D

Un1

Under S142(1) you are entitled to a determination under s127(3) so there should be no difficulty - I had to educate a judge on this

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

UN1Boy,

I am keen to know what happens.

Ruby

I'll keep you updated

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Un1

Under S142(1) you are entitled to a determination under s127(3) so there should be no difficulty - I had to educate a judge on this

Hiya

I don't understand how sec 142(1) would be relevant - wouldn't sec 127(3) be more fitting?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

To help clarify matters, this is an extract from a Court case Coutts v Sebastyen and this part is partt of the summing up by the Judge in relation to overdrafts and teh Consumer Credit Act-

Chopped a bit out to shorten it ..

THE DETERMINATION

2. This Determination is made subject to the following conditions:-

(a) that the creditor shall have informed my Office in writing of his general intention to enter into agreements to which the Determination will apply;

(b) that where there is an agreement between a creditor and a debtor for the granting of credit in the form of an advance on a current account, the debtor shall be informed at the time or before the agreement is concluded:

- of the credit limit, if any,

- of the annual rate of interest and the charges applicable from the time the agreement is concluded and the conditions under which these may be amended,

of the procedure for terminating the agreement;

and this information shall be confirmed in writing.

© that where a debtor overdraws his current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor and that account remains overdrawn for more than 3 months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than 7 days after the end of that 3 month period of the annual rate of interest and charges applicable.

3. In this Determination the terms 'creditor' and 'debtor' shall have the meanings assigned to them respectively by Section 189 of [the Act]. The term 'bank' includes the Bank of England and banks within the meaning of the Bankers' Books Evidence Act 1879 as amended."

Hi to all being a newbie to all this .. but searching for help for my daughter.. was wondering.. if this 3months +7days applies..

My daughter froze a joint account after her partner left ( Sept 07)

Nothing was said of any OD.on it.. her partner blocked his imminent salary going in, (this probably caused the initial OD) nothing was said by the NW bank. then in May 08 she suddenly had a letter saying she had a large OD and needed to sort it ???

Seems without any communication since sept ..?? NW have been a slack !! but not in adding interest during that time [:-(

any help advice here please ?????

take care ALL

C

Sorry to be so dense - can you clarify - can I ask the bank for a copy of the CCA or is it another type of document I need for the bank. I have an overdraft which I cannot pay back - is there a template I can use? I haven't received a copy of the CCA from Barclaycard, sent six weeks ago so what should I do now with regard to Barclaycard?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread....Subbing

So basically I am been taken to Court by a DC for an overdraft.

ON the POC it says "By an agreement made in writing" bla bla bla.

So I can ask for this writen agreement as they are saying one exists??

Any thoughts