Spleengirl - Won against Barclays, now ##won## against HSBC!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Barclays settled with me today with two days to go before the court date. HORAY!

Therefore it is my turn to nicely ask HSBC if they will refund my charges that are worth about £200. I just wondered if anyone could advise me on this one -

I have gone through all the statements and all I can find is occassionally there is a figure of "total charges" on them.

But, I was a little concerned that they could have lumped together charges that I should pay with those I am claiming back (eg interest). Looking at the forum I cannot see any reference to this other than a posting above - am I correct in thinking that I am to claim the total charges without having to ask the bank to detail tem exactly?

Thanks very much and good luck to every body!:oops:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t forget you are dealing with HSBC and later on with DG Solicitors these are the people who will make you an offer and you will negotiate with. If there is something in your claim they don’t like they will take it out of the offer.

To some extent the County Court side is secondary, it’s just a means to force HSBC to look at your claim and be reasonable. To do that you have to complete all of the Court paperwork as correctly as you can but at the end of the day the court will have nothing to do with your settlement.

pete

Hi there and thanks for that advice Castle.

With Barclays I had to go through all the paperwork stage with the MCOL and allocation questionaire and court bundle. In fact they settled two days before my court date which should have been tomorrow. Therefore I am quite confident with the filling out of paperwork now.

But how am I to find out exactly what HSBC mean on my statements when they say 'Total Charges'; how do I get to know the breakdown to make sure these are charges to do with failed direct debits and going over my overdraft limit etc? Should I ask them under the data protection act?

I read somewhere that you could find the breakdown out via the online statements, but I could not see how to do this. Any advice would be most appreciated????

Click on the account you want to access the statements for.

In the top left hand corner, just below where it says "my accounts" click "my statements"

This will instantly produce a list of your last 12 months statements which you can then view one at a time.

Alternatively to go back further , click "next set" at the bottom to go back 12 months.

You can keep going back for 6 pages !! ie 6 years !!

Good Luck

(Thanks to Hungerfordman for supplying me with that on my own claim)

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

Thanks Rayne for the advice

I have done that and it reads every random month of so:

02 oct dr TOTAL CHARGES £54

I am assuming that these are lumped together charges for the types of charges I can claim, but want to make sure of the breakdown as per castles advice above.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes that LOOKS like a total charge (not seen a single one for £54 before). All I can say is when I looked on mine via the same method it included a full breakdown of the charges.

I've also noticed something else recently, they've actually started individual charges during the course of the month for items over the overdraft limit, ie:

17 APRIL 07 LOCAL WATER AUTHORITY £29.00 DR

17 APRIL 07 RETURN OF LOCAL WATER AUTHORITY £29.00 CR

17 APRIL 07 RECALL CHARGE S/O D/D £50

Made me smile no end that one did this morning. These no doubt will be on top of the £100 NOTIFIED CHARGES next month.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

If you can't get at them online then yes by all means

I must admit, I am a bit worried as I am kind of a bit tied to HSBC with a loan, mortgage and also a joint bank account with my blokey. Has anyone ever experienced HSBC trying to close such things down or making it difficult for them?????

presumably this is your first claim spleengirl and if so then it is really unlikely that HSBC will close your account. Also worth noting that the Financial Ombudsman take a very dim view of banks closing customers accounts for claiming back charges and in some cases have fined banks for doing so a secured compensation for the customer. :-)

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

Thank you for that - I was just reading Rayne's and it seems they have been giving him some s***. I am only worried cos it could affect my house and that but its worth a try - I won from Barclays with two days to spare I tried them first as I don't use them anymore but HSBC is slightly different!

Hiya spleengirl, it may be more advantages to get copies of your statements as it will show not only the total charges but also charges for unpaid items, o/d interest etc.... I tried online,, but in the end went for sar! having the statements made it easier to do the spreadsheet.. however if you can get the 6 years statements online.. go for it!!

I have total charges on my statements aswell as other charges in one months. Febuary 06 I had total charges of £100 plus seperate charges of £10, £30, £30 and £30. I have no idea what the total charges include. They have ranged from £40, £54, £60, £70 and £100. I put them all in my claim. Dont think Iv'e helped you much but just wanted to say your not the only one!

Tanya xxx

The "Total Charges" item on your statements usually is made up of the penalties that you have been charged for going over your agreed limits. This is the £25, £35 etc they charge for you going over the limit added together to a maximum I believe of £125 in a single month. These should definately be claimed as in most cases these make up the largest part of the unfair charges that the banks make. :-)

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.