Me v Monument Credit Card (Barclaycard)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

§ Prelim sent 22 Feb 2007

§ Reply received dated 2 March 2007 saying they were looking into it.

§ Letter received dated 20 March 2007 offering to “refund half the amount of the total sum of the default charges that have been applied to your account. Please note that I will not be including any default charges that have been or are applied to your account at the rate of £12.00 each….I am currently retrieving copies of your statements prior to February 2003 and once I have these, I will write to advise you of the exact amount I am prepared to refund you.” Signed by Jackie Matthews, Customer Relations

When I sent the prelim letter I only had statements from May 2004 so whilst waiting for their response I wrote to them on 15 March enclosing £10.00 (which they have credited to my closed credit card account!) for copies of statements from July 2001 to May 2004. I know I should have got them initially but I wasn’t going to bother however since then have become empowered by my other claims and the CAG website so decided to claim for the whole lot.

I am at present waiting for the missing statements and Monuments offer.

Munchkin

Egg - settled in full at LBA

Barclaycard - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

Barclays - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

hi munchkin, good luck with your claim there are quite afew of us on the site now claiming from Monument and they are a pain. Make sure you stick to Your timetable and not theirs they will try to fob you off. The stuff about not refunding you £12 charges is rubbish claim them you are entitled to them and you will get them back. Good luck

Mrs H

I had exact same letter munchkin, but as paula says,its your timetable not theirs. I waited 10 days for them to follow up with this mythical offer..no response, and today I filed in court Barclays T/A Monument. It's good to see more threads re monument.

• 1 month later...

I received the offer of half the charges end April and sent off a rejection letter.

I have now received a 'Final Response' from Monument advising the half offer still stands but they will be unable to accommodate my request for a refund if I intend to pursue the remainder through the court.

Up until now I had been quite positive about filing court claims especially as with the ones I have in process at the moment, I have received an offer letter from one and have been told that the offer letters will be posted soon for the other two. I have got 5 further claims I am waiting to file but can't afford the court fee at the moment so I was hoping not to have another one. However despite the particular circumstances I can’t help but be a little put off by the Lloyds victory (I have another claim to put in for Lloyds as well! L )

Has anyone had any success with Monument before date of hearing or at court at all?

Munchkin

Barclaycard - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

I received the offer of half the charges end April and sent off a rejection letter.

I have now received a 'Final Response' from Monument advising the half offer still stands but they will be unable to accommodate my request for a refund if I intend to pursue the remainder through the court.

Up until now I had been quite positive about filing court claims especially as with the ones I have in process at the moment, I have received an offer letter from one and have been told that the offer letters will be posted soon for the other two. I have got 5 further claims I am waiting to file but can't afford the court fee at the moment so I was hoping not to have another one. However despite the particular circumstances I can’t help but be a little put off by the Lloyds victory (I have another claim to put in for Lloyds as well! L )

Has anyone had any success with Monument before date of hearing or at court at all?

I don't know about Monument in particular but it is fairly normal for offers to be withdrawn if you carry on with the claim. Don't be put off, just stick with your timescales. And don't be put off by the Lloyds 'victory' - it was really a technicality and they may lose yet - read the 'sticky'. Make sure you get all your paperwork right, that's all. Follow any new advice as it comes out.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

I took Monument to court. They finally paid up 6 days before we were due in court. They were a right pain and never answered one of my letters.

(If anyone is at this stage let me know - it doesn't have to be Monument)

Notice of Issue:

'Your claim was issued on the 16th April 2007.

Court sent it to the defendant on the 16th April and deemed to be served on the 21st April. The defendant has until the 5th May to reply'

Checked my balance with Monument Credit Card last night and it's still the same.

Moneyclaim online still says 'acknowledged'!

What does it say if Monumentwant to take it to court?

What happens if I do press 'judgement' today? speechless-smiley-040.gif

Does that mean I win by default?

Has anyone else had this happen and how long does it take to receive the money back on my credit card....

28 days are up... can I press the judgement button yet... can I?... Please..... Pretty please wiv a cherry on top - and sprinkles????

I've read lots of forums about MYCOL but I'm still confused...

I just want to know when to press THE button:eek:

can anyone clarify this for me please.:)

'You cannot request a Judgment by Default at this time.

The Defendant is allowed 14 days from the date they were served with the claim to defend or admit your claim before you can request a Judgment by Default.

If the Defendant files an Acknowledgement of Service within 14 days of receiving the claim form, they will be entitled to 28 days from the date they were served with the claim form to file a defence or admission of your claim. If the Defendent does not file a defence or admission within the 28 days you can request a Judgment by Default.

If you have not requested judgment, the defendant may still file a defence to your claim after the 14 days or 28 days have elapsed. The claim will then be transferred to your local court for a hearing to be arranged.'

CRAP! :mad:

but it says 28 days - it's now over 28 days since they were served with the claim form... I dont' understand this at all... how much longer do I have to wait before i can press for judgement... I first logged the claim on the 13th April - they acknowledged on the 19th April so I'm now 28 days from that date!! I was getting all excited too! - talk about anti-climax :o

I just rang moneyclaim online and they have told me that I can press the judgement button after midnight tonight! Hoorah... Hope Monument don't get there before me!

Does anyone know what happens after? Ie monument do not respond and I press the judgement button... anyone got to that stage or pass this yet?

I'm guessing that I will be issued a court date next???? I Hope ;)

Monument have offered my half as well and are saying they will not refund all of the charges as they do not agree blah blah blah. They have said at the end of their letter that if I am not happy to contact the Financial Ombudsman and that they would prefer to resolve before it got to this stage..

Has anybody got any advice on what I should do now. Should I ring them and accept half and say that I will pursue the rest in court. The problem I have is that I had a credit limit for £250 and went over it and most of my balance was made up of overlimit fees. Two months ago I paid them my balance of £250 along with my minumum payment but the balance still went up.Now I owe them £320 made up of overlimit fees.

Can anybody advise on the next steps. Should I just ring them and say close my account down as it is made up of overlimit fees or claim the money that is due to me.

Many thanks

You've got the standard response from Monument as everyone else that I've read.

Just write another letter saying no and that they have 7 or 14 days to respond or you go to court (your choice of how long you give them). Then if you don't hear anything... you wont! then got to court or Money claim online and start a claim... apparently people are only getting a refund a couple of days before the actual court date! so if you don't want half the money back then you will have to see it through!

good luck

I get to press judgement on my court claim after midnight tonight!!

• 3 weeks later...

How did you do with your 'judgement' button, runnycustard?

I've now filed my claim with Monument - sent 4 June.

Munchkin

well, I finally pressed judgement but Monument had put in a defence!

I've got the notice of transfer from the court but no date as yet... or letters from Monument either... so just sitting and waiting!

But I'm also claiming back from Nationwide and they have just put half the money in my account.. gonna accept that as part payment but continue to push for the rest... in for a penny in for a pound! :D so it looks like Nationwide is a lot easier than Monument... I've read on the forums at MSE that Monument are one of the worst ones... going all the way but pay up a couple of days before the court date... frustrating as I havn't got that bit yet!

good luck on your claim... I will post up a notice when I've got a date or got a refund.

:)

• 1 month later...

I finally got my court date - 6th September!!!

someone on MSE sent monument a letter saying how she knows they don't want to goto court blah blah... they replied saying someone will be intouch by the 5th August... hopefully that means they might pay up before her court date with is around the 12th September.

I started this with monument back in February!!! apparently they are the worst! I'm not surprised!! :mad:

good luck

PS my letter said the AQ had been dispensed with also... I think they have given up on them as it increased paperwork!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that I received a settlement (in full) letter from Barclays Legal. Just waiting for the money any day now.

Munchkin

Munchkin

Did they not defend then? So you got the refund soon after the 28days were up?

Mine did! had to wait a month for the court date and that will be in Sept.. .not sure if this test case will halt it or that the test case is for banks only and not credit cards?????

congrats on you winning! Hope the postal strikes don't slow the cheque down!

;)

Hi

Thanks. I rang Barclays after they put the defence in and asked for settlement. They faxed me the letter the week after. The money should be going into my bank account but not appeared as yet.....

Munchkin

ps Test case is for Banks only - shouldn't affect credit card claims

Munchkin

So you just rang them - Monument or Barclays???

What number did you call? What did you say! :o

My court date is the 6th September and I'm hoping Credit Cards will not copy the banks in requesting a test case of some sort!

It will be fantastic if I get this refunded - got £500 in charges for a two day late payment - and I paid extra for the charge but they continued charging me £90 per month! I should not have to pay this!!

I rang them constantly but they just put the phone down on me! I don't want just half, not that they have offered me anything!

congrats on your win! Hope the refund arrives soon!

Just heard that a stay was put on a Monument Credit Card when a claimant went to Court today!

Thought this was different to the bank test case!

grrrr... is this an individal judges decision or is this going to be country wide??

• 8 months later...

Hello all, i am just starting my fight with monument, this site is really going to help so a huge thankyou.

I have done the calculations and they should pay out over £1000 - these were charges from 2004 when i stupidly got the card. They have offered me in a very polite letter £350, so if they did pay up in full i would owe them anything. I think it will take a long time though, has anyone just used the financial omb service instead of court ???

On the money saving expert site they say it is a good alternative to court, any advise gratefully received in advance

Hiya

I went through court and got the full amount paid back.

took 8 months in total!!

the longest claim I had!

all the others took only 2 or 3 months tops.

they will continue to say no and then a couple of days before the court date suddenly pay the whole thing.

don't give up - so far I've heard that everyone got the whole lot back - credit cards are also different from the banking charges and will be affected by the 'big' court case going through (which has been delayed apparently).

I think the option of going through the ombudsman means you could only get half back but I'm not totally sure - as I said I went the court way.

(worked for me ;-))

:D