As Little as 9p?

nicsussex
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did I imagine it or did the whistleblower progrmme suggest that the actual costs to the banks was only this?

I guess that doesn't include the postage - but to be fair to them that is going up way faster than inflation!

Maybe the banks have a a get out here - it is the Royal Mails' fault.

Or then again . . . .

I noticed that too!!!

It made me furious to watch that Barclays employee stand there stating it was purely a money making scheme and that it barely cost them a thing!

THEN to watch that Woman (presumably high up in Barclays) state they are "a responsible institution that puts customers first":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope.... you SHOULD be a responsible institution, but you put your profits first, and your customers last..... and you dont particularly care who you stamp on, or what mysery you cause in the process.:mad:

26/02/07 - Statement Request

06/03/07 - Prelim Sent (requesting £500)

20/03/07 - LBA Sent

04/04/07 - Started Court Claim (requesting £678:54 including 8% & Costs)

05/04/07 - Received Part Offer (£348 )

06/04/07 - Rejected Offer !

10/04/07 - Papers deemed served on Halifax. Have until 24/04/07 to admit ir defend.

11/04/07 - Halifax filed acknowledgement of service , intending to defend ALL of claim.

26/04/07- SETTLED IN FULL - INCLUDING COURT COSTS & INTEREST.

Dont forget, that 9p amount was shown by a member of staff that wasnt prepared to show who they were. They werent prepared to back up their claim.

26/02/07 - Statement Request

06/03/07 - Prelim Sent (requesting £500)

20/03/07 - LBA Sent

04/04/07 - Started Court Claim (requesting £678:54 including 8% & Costs)

05/04/07 - Received Part Offer (£348 )

06/04/07 - Rejected Offer !

10/04/07 - Papers deemed served on Halifax. Have until 24/04/07 to admit ir defend.

11/04/07 - Halifax filed acknowledgement of service , intending to defend ALL of claim.

26/04/07- SETTLED IN FULL - INCLUDING COURT COSTS & INTEREST.

Barclays Customers to submit complaints? Surely this programme was not purely a Barclays programme? More an industry expose! Personally i think there are several if not worse than equal to Barclays.

Dont forget, that 9p amount was shown by a member of staff that wasnt prepared to show who they were. They werent prepared to back up their claim.

Let's see them deny it in court then. And to be fair I had offered them a get out clause.

I think the 9p was just a part of the calculation, but I saw it too.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

and the 8 quid a day for YB. What's all that about?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

But, it was mentioned that the 9p was arrived at partly because of the staff time involved in refusing to pay a cheque. However, I know for a fact that my bank, Nortern Rock, does not get cheques back from the bank they are presented at unless they are for over £5K (they've told me so).

So, the staff time dosen't even come into it for most cheques which means that it is a purely automated procedure involving no human intervention. At most it may involve someone pressing the "N" key on a computer but they certainly don't have to go to the expense of physically handling bits of paper.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

But, it was mentioned that the 9p was arrived at partly because of the staff time involved in refusing to pay a cheque. However, I know for a fact that my bank, Nortern Rock, does not get cheques back from the bank they are presented at unless they are for over £5K (they've told me so).

So, the staff time dosen't even come into it for most cheques which means that it is a purely automated procedure involving no human intervention. At most it may involve someone pressing the "N" key on a computer but they certainly don't have to go to the expense of physically handling bits of paper.

P.

Phantom - Are you sugeesting that the banks are charging a fee over and above the 9p that it costs them? ( Royal Mail excluded) And also that this fee is a penalty? And does not reflect their cost?

On a site like this? . . . How very dare you!

Sorry YB is Yorkshire Bank which is part of the same group as Clydesdale Bank (CB) and Northern.

I spend waaaaaay too long on the YB/CB forum and think everyone knows it. Sorry.

This is not true. The person who provided this information did not want to be shown on TV, but they have provided much more information than was shown tonight.

They are to be applauded for doing so.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have just had a letter from NatWest telling me that it would not even write to tell me about new penalty charges on my account. It would just apply them. So even the Royal Mail charges go out of the window. Yet the reason I am unable to pay my bills is that a national newspaper that has been campaigning against penalty charges has taken a very flexible approach to paying my fee for recent work. It has kept me waiting six weeks and counting. The most I can charge in penalty fees is 40 pounds after a month plus a tiny daily percentage. This is nothing compared with the bills I am forced to pay late.

Did I imagine it or did the whistleblower progrmme suggest that the actual costs to the banks was only this?

That seems about right.

You can look up the charges banks make for business accounts. You can assume the cost to the bank is half the charge it makes ... that won't be too far out.

And obviously it costs a bank less to reject a direct debit than to accept it - it has to communicate the result back to the originator in either case, but if the DD is rejected, the bank does not incur the (admittedly tiny) cost of updating its customer's account.

Of course, if the bank writes to tell you it has declined the DD, there's an additional cost for that; but why should the bank do that? After all, it doesn't write and tell you if you were unable to obtain cash from a cash machine, nor if a debit card transaction is declined.

Tim

Guest Alison82
Of course, if the bank writes to tell you it has declined the DD, there's an additional cost for that; but why should the bank do that? After all, it doesn't write and tell you if you were unable to obtain cash from a cash machine, nor if a debit card transaction is declined.

Very true!!

• 10 months later...

Hi I know this is an old thread but I was wanting to know if bank charges include ones made on rejected standing orders too? and what about if a bank charges you which makes you overdrawn and then charges you for being overdrawn (even though it was their fault) what about if you havent been recieving any letters telling you about any charges???