Possibly a bit of a tricky one

sunseeker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone give us any advice?

I had a loan with Barclays when I got into some financial troubles in early 90's and to prevent any leagal action on their part was advised by a solicitor to accept their offer to attach the debt to my property. Me and my wife signed this off in 1992 for approx £5,200.

We than had no communication from Barclays until I tried to re-mortgage in 2003 and at which point I had to ring round about 6 different departments before they found out they did actually have this charge on my property.

Have now paid them off last month but does anyone think it would be possible to contact them again and request details of the charges, etc and go after them for this.

The other issue would be that if I did not receive any communication from Barclays for over 11 years, and made no payment to them over this time, can they still take the money.

May be an obvious answer but want to make sure just in case.

Smile: £2,522 full payment received,

Citi Cards: £693.71 balance written off. Full value of Court claim,

West Brom Building Society: DPA request sent 15.05.06,

Capital 1: £220 claimed LBA sent 15.05.06.

Barclaycard: DPA request sent 16.05.06

Not sure myself - so bumping for you

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Cheers Jonni. could be a long shot though.

We had dealings with Barclays around the early 1990's as well. Never again.

It seems to me, as a mere novice that you have only just finished paying them back, so from that point of view you are well within the 6 years. I would try sending a request for info under the DPA. If they can keep a charge on your property for all those years, you should be able to get a breakdown of what you have paid for at least. There was probably some manual intervention but it is surely down to them to prove it and surely not £5k+ worth. My understanding of a charge on property is for the very purpose of being able to claim the money back when the property is sold, but it is an interesting point with it being over 6 years later. Perhaps you could try ringing the ICO for advice.

What have you got to lose by trying to claim? Go for it I say.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks